Dream Dive Day All Goes Wrong (pt. Lobos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops I just realized that I replied to a very old thread! It sounds like your recent experience at Point Lobos was a much better one. :)

D'oh! Me too...

Hey no worries Sea_otter and 3D. Yes, my dives last weekend were really great and I consider myself redeemed when it comes to Pt. Lobos!!!

We did have one thing happen that might be worth mentioning. I thought about listing what happened on our last dive as another thread, but I'll post it here. During our last dive we were swimming back from "Hole in the Wall" and came across another dive team (2 people) underwater as I swam over a rock. I noticed that one of the divers (the diver leading the way) had their tank out of the strap, as though the tank had slipped out the bottom, so the only thing keeping the tank on the diver were his hoses running through the strap. I got their attention and pointed to them and gave the "ok" symbol (like asking them "are you ok"). They did not return the "OK". So I pointed to my tank, to the diver with the loose tank, and again, tried to give the 'OK?". Again, no response, then they just swam off. There is absolutely no way that the 2nd diver didn't see the problem with the lead diver, and I was 10' from them and I know they saw me. I was totally willing to help them out, but then again I can't force anyone to take help and he didn't appear to be in distress. I've read up on this happening now and what to do, I guess it's more common than I thought it was, but his buddy really should have him out with the loose tank.

Anyway, my buddy and me had a great time and no problems at all. We're already planning our next trip back to Monterey!

Last edited:
Yikes, that's happened to me a couple of times. First time was a shallow lake dive & I just swam up onto the beach and fixed it. Second time is fuzzy in my memory, but I believe my buddy resolved it...or maybe it never happened...this is why I write things down in my log books... and really cinch down my tank straps...

I recently dove with a guy who had his tank fall out of the strap. He was inexperienced and the boat operator made my buddy and I aware of this when they joined him up with us- relevant because I think he forgot to tighten down the strap when setting up his gear. While I don't believe I ever practiced anything like it in rescue, those problem solving skills came in handy; since we were on the bottom already I simply had him deflate fully and hug the ground while I fixed it. Going forward if I get paired up with an unknown diver I will make sure to buddy check their gear with them on the boat. Hopefully I would have caught that.

Back
Top Bottom