Rescue team searching for missing cave diver - Bulgaria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Bulgarian Federation of Speleology rescuers to start rescue operation in cave
Sliven. A team of rescuers with the Bulgarian Federation of Speleology will organise a rescue operation in a cave near the village of Kipilovo, district of Sliven.
A scuba diver disappeared there on Wednesday afternoon, Radio FOCUS – Sliven reported.
The speleologists are said to know the cave, which is located some 3 km east of Kipilovo, well.
A friend of the missing scuba diver submitted a signal to the 112 emergency calls system after he went diving and failed to come to the water surface for 80 minutes.

After reading the translated news article, I think it will be a recovery, not a rescue. The article also said he had no guideline to the exit. The other comments indicate the diver had poor planning and inadequate equipment. However, this is a news article and it is translated with some awkwardness, so the information may not be complete. I think this person was not a trained cave diver. I'd like to know more about the incident.

Confusing article. It sounds like a dry cave with clay banks and a river in it that siphons. Then the entrance flooded while the missing person was inside. BTW, for those who don't know, a siphon is a cave where water flows into the cave instead of out.

There was a cave in Kentucky recently where 19 people on foot were trapped when the entrance flooded, they were all rescued.

There was a cave in Kentucky recently where 19 people on foot were trapped when the entrance flooded, they were all rescued.
Walked out with the flood waters up to their necks. Not quite the trip they were planning. But they all got out.

Confusing article. It sounds like a dry cave with clay banks and a river in it that siphons. Then the entrance flooded while the missing person was inside. BTW, for those who don't know, a siphon is a cave where water flows into the cave instead of out.

My Bulgarian is worse than rudimentary but it sounds like the only viable air pocket is some way in, where there's a clay slope the original exploration team couldn't scale without rapelling equipment. His only chance is if he made it that far in. He had a 10L cylinder, a 3L pony, and no cave experience, and with heavy flooding and clay sides & bottom, the current's bad and the vis is zero.

a siphon is a cave where water flows into the cave instead of out.
A siphon or sump is simply the term for any portion of a passage in an otherwise "dry" cave that is below the surface of the water. It has nothing to do with what direction the water is flowing, though sumps are probably encountered more often from upstream than from downstream. The only relevance of which direction the water flows is in terms of viz, since whatever silt you stir up will flow downstream.

I'll also note that it's physically impossible for water to flow out of a cave unless it has first flowed into the cave, and if water flows into a cave it also flows out, regardless of whether there's a place where the passage sumps or not.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Two threads merged.

Back
Top Bottom