Hi from Washington State

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fmerkel brings up a good point. I would buy the items that you and/or your son will not grow out of such as regulators. An option for wet suits is find a surf shop and see what they have to offer. I have seen a lot of kids surfing and what not so that might be the route to go when it comes to wet suits. I don't know for sure if they will have the right thickness you will need though.

Rental is certainly possible but has some serious limitations long term for small people. I almost guarantee no rental wetsuit will fit, if they even stock something that small. I'm a small male (5' 7", 130#, my wife is similar). We found rental wetsuits almost universally horrible. The BC's are lackluster as are the regs. You don't grow out of a decent reg and a properly fitted BC can fit a pretty good range of sizes.

There is probably a small contingent of parents with the same issues. If you can find them it could be a source of gear and information.

Where you live it seems your local dive options are Tacoma or Hood Canal, Sund Rock most likely as that's where all the Portland divers congregate.

I working on getting him a hand me down wetsuit, got a possible line on a kid sized dry suit even. Rental Wetsuits at the shops are not small enough, but I've found a company that does custom sized farmer John/jacket if I can't find one second hand. We can also snorkel if he has his own wetsuit. I'm considering buying a reg and bcd option for when he goes Jr AOW in a few years. Not in a huge hurry this second, just keeping my eyes open. What he has now will work till next year, if I find something sooner it's a bonus.

The trick I'm finding with kids is slow and steady, with lots of reps.... Pool time isn't boring for him yet, so we'll take advantage of that.

Fmerkel, the company that does custom wetsuits is aquaflite ... The cost seems competitive.

2 years on a wetsuit is more affordable than many other competitive sports.... Since you really can't rent his size.

I love reading about parents getting their children into scuba.

I don't have much experience, but next month I am giving a private lesson to a 13 year old boy and a refresher for his father. I'm looking forward to my first junior open water diver!

Hi Sarah,

I was reading your post and the answers you got... First of all, thanks for been great parents and helping your son achieve a passion.

On another hand, as diving instructor I am a little more cautious when it comes to the 10 years limitation to start a JOW. Well programs like seal team and bubble maker are great, and there is as well a possibility to enroll him (from the age of 8) into a skin diver course to enhance his in water confidence.

Now depending on a few factors you might would want to delay his JOW, let me clarify... In your family are you all of a small built, or is there a chance that your son might grow taller after the age of 10? When I was a kid my built was quite small, and then suddenly between the age of 10 and 13 I took almost half meter! What I am saying is that maybe you should wait for a couple of years for him to grow taller and stronger, as science has not completely defined how pressure affects the growth of a kid!

Reading your posts, I had a funny feeling. You've mentioned that with the dive center there will be a lot of pool session and so forth... I was wondering about it, since a OW course is 5 confined water session and 5 open water dive (including the skin dive), too many pool session and OW sessions are not necessarily beneficial for the kid's motivation and might be contrary to the Padi standards. I would want to take a good look at their JOW program! Just saying, one can never be safe enough!

In regards of the equipment, if you think that his body will still growth I would recommend to rent it from the dive center, and buy it a few year down the line. However I would still recommend to buy a few pieces of equipment, such as mask, snorkel, open heel fins... Anyway, if the dive center is a good one and are used to deal with kids, they should be hiring out some material, even smaller tanks should be available (easier to don by a smaller child)!

In regards of exposure suit, well pretty much the same. I believe that in Canada water is pretty much cold, so for the summer 5 mm. wet suit or a semi dry (with the hood) one could be a solution. A dry suit can cost an arm and a leg, do not chose a tight fit (crush / neoprene or / foam) as the kid will still be growing, but rather a urethane coated fabric type one, at least you won't need to buy another dry suit for a few years... You need to bear in mind that due to buoyancy factor, the kid will need more weight to go down. Additionally he will have to be strong enough to handle buoyancy issues and body positioning underwater, especially if wearing a weight belt rather then a BCD with integrated weight system. Well the above are also some reasons I would recommend to think thoroughly and carefully when you want him to start with his JOW. Remember it is not about what Padi standards says, but about having a kid comfortable in the water and enjoying!

Otherwise, if he really wants to start his JOW, then you might consider doing the OW theory and confined water sessions in Canada and then ask to the dive center to give him a referral and do the open water dive in a different marine environment during your next holidays, you just need another recognized dive center working with the same certifying agency! Why not do the open water session in Florida or anywhere else with Tropical water conditions. At least there he could dive with a shorty, which will for sure make his OW dives easier to deal with, and to build up his confidence he can also do his AJOW (Advanced Junior Open Water, well they call it now Adventure in Diving)! Once certified and back to Canada and confident enough, then he can go with the initial dive center, do some more dives through a discover local diving program, which will teach him diving in a different environment with a different type of exposure suit, as well as differences in buoyancy...

Anyway nothing is written in blood, with the actual scuba diving teaching systems, there are ample ways to get him to dive confidently and still enjoy at the same time, and if you feel he is still too young for the JOW, get him to start with a Scuba Diver course first, he makes a few dives at limited depth and build up his strengths and confidence. And next holidays get him to take the next step...

Last but not least, reading your post I remembered a same case where a mother, father and their kid learn diving together. Well you would be surprised the mother buddy thing did not happened, in fact the mother was more terrified then the kid and the kid ended up been an amazing buddy caring about his mother and not the other way round!

Well not knowing you guys makes it difficult to give you an advice, anyway all this to tell you not to rush and do not let anyone influence your decision, not by the dive center, not by the instructor and not even from your son. Inform yourself think about the pros and the cons, assess him in the water, but don't be too overly motherly, if necessary take baby steps by adding the skin diver course after the seal team and bubble maker, maybe to start with the scuba diver rating and why not consider doing the course with him, or at least the open water sessions together, it could be an amazing experience...

Have an amazing experience and many happy dives :)

Max

Last edited:
Yes, in terms of buddy pairs and diving competency it's hard to tell. I worked with a small 15 year old (100#). She was very smart and her enthusiasm was unquestionable. The dive center that certified her did a poor job as she had absolutely no buoyancy skills. She had no fear, and was absolutely fascinated by diving.
After I took her out for a half dozen dives we talked her mother into lessons. He mother was a much better diver immediately upon OW1 completion and my wife dove with her. They never did dive as a buddy pair, which is too bad. They moved and the daughter went off to college.

XMEtienne,

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I think I have been a little unclear, the reference to extra pool time had more to do with trying to just be clear that he wouldn't be out in the puget sound till he's ready, not anything the shop has said specifically. As far as motivation, he spent several minutes in his last class happily filling lift bags, And tying knots at the bottom of the pool. Something I consider boring as heck but he had a blast. He show zero signs of being bored, weird kid, lol

Right now he's in the second set of PADI seal dives.... There are 15 total for 8-10 yr olds. Then at 10 they can JOW, if they pass the swim test. That part is up to the kid, he swims pretty good but needs to work on his treading water sans gear, if he can't pass, I guess he'll need to wait till he can.

Diving is not something my husband or I would have sought out on our own. The kid is very focused and driven, and we feel strongly about facilitating his learning about his passion as long as he does what he needs to do in life. He is a good student with zero behavior issues. At dive class he is 100% focused, it's crazy. He already has his own fins/snorkel/mask

We will definitely be doing some skin diver/snorkeling classes too. I had not thought of snorkeling till I came to the boards but I really like the option to learn a lot of skills without all the extra gear. I may never be a good buddy for him in scuba but I will give it a good try. I know I enjoy the water.

One thing I feel strongly about is safety in the water. Whether we are snorkeling or scuba. Our family boat-camps a lot year round, so with the proper exposure gear we can snorkel safely at our own convenience. I've been in many shops around the sound and I've not found any with wetsuits that fit him in neoprene thicker than 4mm. For rental or purchase. Size wise, he's tall and will be getting taller, but I'm looking into a custom suit and one company will resize the suit once for free. It still costs a lot less than most competitive sports, lol and he stays warm.

I know kids and scuba is a fairly controversial thing, and I know every kid is different and many aren't really ready for the responsibility of scuba. I have no problems pulling him at anytime if he can't handle the expectations, at the same time, I want to give him the opportunity to learn at his pace....

ETA .... Max, we live in the U.S., not Canada, we have a Vancouver here in Washington State too....It's about 6 hours from Vancouver B.C. though..... Took me a few minutes to understand the mention of Canada.....

Last edited:
... What I'm hearing from you guys and what I agree with fully is: Always weigh the pros and cons of every dive, evaluating whether or not the time, place, or kid is ready. Do as much as possible without compressed air, and control depth to minimize risk. Stay safe. Stay warm. Never hesitate to cancel a dive and reschedule if necessary. Have fun.

This is my approach to kids and scuba.

Back
Top Bottom