Suunto Mosquito, Keep Or Sell?

Read 1st Post Before Voting....Should I keep a Suunto Mosquito?

• Keep it, and use as a primary computer

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Keep it, but use it as a back-up

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Sell it, and put the money towards something more modern!

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Throw it in the trash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I finally got the replacement battery in the mail and popped it in. Everything appears to be working, I guess the big test is when I go put it in a glass of water to see if it's water tight!! Before I do that, I've check the O-ring that came with the kit and it looked good and went into place without any issues, anything else I should check before water testing?

Thanks!

The Dive Plan Mode on the Mosquito simply allows you to step through various depths and simply displays the estimated NDL you'd have at the displayed depth if you assume a square profile and re-enter the water immediately after taking that estimate.

As with dmaziuk - a 1 hr or more interval would take care of the planning needed for the majority of diving I do.

Just wanted to report back that I took my "new" Mosquito diving last weekend and it worked great, I'm very happy with it. I added a lanyard to be safe in case the the watch band broke or became undone.

The only thing was that I thought it would beep at me if I ascended too quickly. I had one instance in a safety stop when I kicked a little too hard up and it spiked and I saw the "slow" warning, but no beep. This could be because I was wearing a hood and the beep might have been not loud enough for me to actually hear. I need to go through the manual and see if there's a setting to add the beep that I missed.

Again though, overall I'm super happy with it!

Pleased it's working for you, they're not a bad little computer overall.

I found I couldn't hear the mosquito alarms with a hood on either, it's not very loud. If you're paying proper attention to your dive you won't need audible alarms to draw your attention to what you should already be aware of anyway.
My new computer a Dive Rite Nitek Q, has no audible alarms and frankly I've not missed them at all.

Don't obsess about the ascent rate alarm too much, if you're already ascending to begin with and you raise your arm too quickly it can trigger a warning even if your actual ascent rate is fine. It's one of the drawbacks to a wrist mounted computer. As long as your overall ascent rate is OK it's not worth stressing over.

BTW - if you're handy with a soldering Iron and don't want to pay for the suunto download cable. Here is a link to a DIY interface for downloading your dive profiles.
Roli's PC Interface for Suunto Dive Computers
I used the serial port design for many years and eventually paired it with a Serial to Usb adaptor.
The connector to the dive computer contacts is the tricky part.
The solution for me with the Mosquito was the use of a recycled computer floppy drive power plug and a couple of bent metal pins like below - nice and snug connection.
affonso.jpg

These days for dive profile logging I like subsurface: Subsurface | An open source divelog
It should work fine with the Mosquito - It did for me.

Have fun.

In place of the floppy connector, an rj45 jack works quite well.

Pleased it's working for you, they're not a bad little computer overall.

I found I couldn't hear the mosquito alarms with a hood on either, it's not very loud. If you're paying proper attention to your dive you won't need audible alarms to draw your attention to what you should already be aware of anyway.
My new computer a Dive Rite Nitek Q, has no audible alarms and frankly I've not missed them at all.

Don't obsess about the ascent rate alarm too much, if you're already ascending to begin with and you raise your arm too quickly it can trigger a warning even if your actual ascent rate is fine. It's one of the drawbacks to a wrist mounted computer. As long as your overall ascent rate is OK it's not worth stressing over.

BTW - if you're handy with a soldering Iron and don't want to pay for the suunto download cable. Here is a link to a DIY interface for downloading your dive profiles.
Roli's PC Interface for Suunto Dive Computers
I used the serial port design for many years and eventually paired it with a Serial to Usb adaptor.
The connector to the dive computer contacts is the tricky part.
The solution for me with the Mosquito was the use of a recycled computer floppy drive power plug and a couple of bent metal pins like below - nice and snug connection.
affonso.jpg

These days for dive profile logging I like subsurface: Subsurface | An open source divelog
It should work fine with the Mosquito - It did for me.

Have fun.
Thanks for the tips. I'm not too worried about the SLOW indicator since I saw it just flash for one second and that I couldn't hear the alarm. However, it's permanently in the log which makes me feel like a bad diver, though I know I didn't do anything wrong. I'll look into the cables (both DIY and Suunto) and the program you mentioned!

This might be a question deserving of its own thread, but has anyone taken off the watch strap and replaced it with a bungee set-up? I've been reading about them and it seems like a good idea for easy on/off donning. I know with a 7mm suit and gloves on, messing with the watch strap wasn't the easiest thing in the world. I saw the video below and was considering doing the same thing for my Mosquito. Has anyone tried this? If so, any idea on what size bungee cord would work?

It's no good. I will give you ten bucks+postage for it to soothe your misfortune if you mail it to me. Then you'll be ten bucks ahead. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom