New Diy Lionfish Dungeon Design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shotmaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After looking at the commercial designs, like Zoo Keeper, Lionfish Hotel, and several DIY designs, I wanted something that had sufficient capacity, a clear housing, easy to use and easy to dump the catch, and it had to inexpensive. Here is what I cam up with. If anyone has an interest, I will post more pictures, and a how how to build it. Let me know if you need more.

Materials
2 five gallon plastic water bottles
One old lobster chute or you can use a large plastic funnel if you cut slots
One 8" boat hatch
Aluminum rivets
Rivet gun
Drill and bit
Shears, saw, or Dremel tool to cut the ju 20160517_115912.jpg20160517_115924.jpg20160517_115901.jpg20160517_115957.jpg20160517_225456.jpg20160517_225426.jpg

They come on the jugs. They are pretty secure, but I may put a couple of rivets in them as insurance. But water weighs 8lbs a gallon so they should hold up to at least the 40 lbs that the 5 gallons weighs. Also, I forgot to mention I used 5200 on the neck and the hatch because of the curves to hold it in place. I put rivets in after the adhesive set.

I got my jugs at lowes, I had to buy them full. I just found them at Walmart for $6.00 empty.

So my next one will cost less to make.

$12.00 for jugs
$3.00 for a plastic funnel
$9.00 for boat hatch
$4.00 3M 5200
$3.00 rivets
$1.78 for rivet backing washers
Total: $33.00

I plan to put a tubular nylon line with a quick release on it.

looks good...have you used it yet...what size is that tank?

The tank is a Faber 95, so you can see the Dungeon is a good size. Going out Sunday spearing. I had it in the pool to see if there was any drag. It swims easy.

It looks good. The only other than I can think of is that you might need some drainage on the bottom to reduce the drag through the water and to make it easier to get out of the water without turning it entrance-side down.

image.jpg Take a closer look, there are several hundred holes drilled around the base and the in the hatch cover.

It looks good. The only other than I can think of is that you might need some drainage on the bottom to reduce the drag through the water and to make it easier to get out of the water without turning it entrance-side down.

Back
Top Bottom