Recommended Dive Shop In Kona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zen_man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings and salutations!

I have not been active on the board for quite some time so I thought I would post instead of using the search button. :)
My family is going to Kona, HI (without me! :() and I was wanting to see if any locals had either recommendations or warnings of dive shops in the area? My Daughter might try and get certified there, otherwise, it would probably be just resort dives.

Any input is highly appreciated!
Thanks!
zen_man :zen:

Do yourself a favor and book an ocean trip with WHOA! Wild Hawaiian Ocean Adventures! While not a scuba trip - it is a sure thing for a highlight of a vacation. Check out their Facebook or web page. Request a trip with Deron Verbeck and sit back and get ready for an amazing experience. I dive every day of my life if possible and yet when I visit Kona my first objective is booking a trip with Deron and WHOA!

Kona dive company is my favorite, but I haven't had a bad experience with any of the kona operators.

Jack's Diving Locker was good for us a few years ago. Safety conscious and nice crew. Still get email newsletters from them occasionally and they have a lot going on including OW course.

Was my first choice based on researching before trip and then got a recommendation from a friend of a friend who lives there.

I haven't heard anything but good about any of the local ops. But my current favorite for guided kona diving is Big Island Divers. Nice boats, great DMs, excellent instructors, small groups and they let you dive your tank up to 70 minutes.

+1 for Jack's Dive Locker. Large op with great, attentive staff. They have a pool on site, so OW training would be convenient. We did our AOW there a few years ago with a good experience.

The three common ones have already surfaced it seems: Jack's, Big Island, and Kona seem to always be mentioned when discussing the island. I did my research before I was there and went with Kona Diving Company myself. I was very happy as a new diver doing my first dives outside of Utah's murky waters. They took good care of me and a few other rookies.

Another vote for Kona Dive Company. They let you dive your tank, period. And they can supply steel 100s and 120s.

And they are super nice!

Thank you for all the info! It seems like you can't go wrong with any of them in the area.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom