Don't Shoot Me... But Looking For Cheap Place To Do Idc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so here's my situation: I've been diving for over 15 years in many different places in the world, did my divemaster 1.5 years ago, full cave about 2 years ago.

I have a good job I don't plan to leave, but have lots of free time. When I look at what kind of entry level instruction many people receive in a lot of resort locations I can't help but feel bad for them. I have the impression I could do better.

I've been thinking about doing my IDC to teach friends how to dive. I have access to a pool and there's some good local dive sites for teaching. I also plan to be living on a sailboat in a year or two, and would be happy to teach people that come on my boat.

I would be willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the world from Quebec, Canada, but the price of the flight ticket would be have to be taken into account. I can do with very basic accomodations, and the price of food/lodging will have to be taken into account too. If the course is in playa del carmen I'd have access to free accomodation.

Doing the course locally is not an option. Would like to do the course before december 2016.

What I'm looking for:

-somewhere I can do my IDC in 3 weeks or less, including flights.
-quality instruction
-do nitrox instructor speciality
-CHEAP, without cutting corners on quality of instruction

What I'm not necessary looking for:

-internships
-a job after the course
-working in the same location as the course

What I'm not necessary looking for but could be a plus:

-nice diving location
-reduced prices for fun diving after the course

Again, unfortunately the price will be an important factor for me.

If you know a dive center that you think offers what I'm looking for please let me know, it would be REALLY appreciated.

Thank you!

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just do your IDC in QC or ON? There are some good CDs in both provinces.

My recommendations are to stay after the IE and do a MSDT prep. While working with your CD you will leave certified to teach at least five dive specialties. Once you leave the training center and return to Montreal it will become much more challenening to pick up the extra instructor ratings.

I also saw a comment "looking at" class size. Your IDC is not a dive training experience...you should not need a close attentive instructor to ensure you are diving safely and correctly. You are learning to be such an instructor. I have done both small student number instructor courses and larger size courses and I think the larger ones offered a more variety of experiences shared by others. Something to think about.

Oldbear, thanks for the comments. I see what you mean concerning the groups sizes and the setup of the dive center for the logistics. Not sure I see the benefits of the MSDT. Looks to me like it is a lot of money for not much. But maybe I'm missing something?

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just do your IDC in QC or ON? There are some good CDs in both provinces.

I agree there are some excellent CD in Quebec, I actually know one of them. The main problem here is that as there are very few IDC done in a year, there's only 3 IE a year in the entire Quebec province.

Also courses are spread out over a long period of time, finishing just before the IE dates.

I work on contracts, and have to leave for 2-5 weeks at a time. I'd miss classes, and possibly the IE dates if I have work.

Logistics are a pain in the a#% too, the dive shops/pool/open water sites being all spread out. Driving 30/180 minutes to go diving or classes in the morning is not appealing to me. Then doing the same in the evening...

Prices are a bit higher here too, and if I add the gas/time to that it just doesn't make sense to me to do it here, when I can do it for cheaper, in a nicer place, and with easier logistics in a possibly new place I've never visited.

...Not sure I see the benefits of the MSDT. Looks to me like it is a lot of money for not much. But maybe I'm missing something?

Let me see if I can paint a different picture for you.

Why do you want to be an instructor?

What type/style of diving do you enjoy doing?

What do you want to teach?

As an Open Water Scuba Instructor, what courses are you allowed to teach?

Unless you want to just teach Open Water thru Divemaster, than the OWSI rating is all that need. If, however, you want to teach Drysuit, Deep, Wreck, etc., there are two pathways.

1) Attend a Course Director's Specialty Instructor course. This is what the MSDT intern program is at an IDC school. After you pass the IE the CD hold classes to the new instructor can also teach at least five additional Specialty Dive courses along with their normal list of basic dive classes.

2) Apply directly to PADI. See your Instructor Manual. Not a hard process but could take a long time.

If you're not stuck on PADI and it seems you will be teaching as an individual then consider coming to Jacksonville, Fl. for your IDC/IE through SDI.

We have monthly IDC/IE as well as Nitrox and other specialty instructor offerings. The IDC and IE is $1.099 with $399 for materials. Filing fees are only $165 afterwards.

We don't use our students as free labor and our ITs are some of the best in the business with Military, Public Safety and thousands of certifications behind them.

Accommodations are less than a mile from the Shop/Pool and inexpensive at about $289 a week. Food is varied and just across the street.

The IDC runs Sat-Thurs and Nitrox/CPROX/EFR Instructor is on Friday. The IE is Sat/Sun.

Any questions contact Bob C at 904-646-3828

My situation sounded similar, I ended up doing an intensive personalized schedule in Ontario instead. Cost was comparable but with many more hours of direct CD feedback and attention I felt the value was incomparable.

My shortlist was the Philippines.

To me the CD made the training. Way beyond simply minimum standards and processing as many IE candidates as possible asap. My own teaching style and application of the padi philosophy can get lost in the cattle boat approach to minting new instructors.

I'd rather perfect how to demo skills in a drysuit and have it easy if I eventually find myself training in the south.

As for dive chances... My ie was in Florida and I did a ton of shore diving for next to free while there. Just arrange with padi where you'd like the exam.

Good luck with the thousands of options.
Cameron

Just wanted to thank everyone for your suggestions. I considered all of them, and in the end mexico will be the best for my situation. Price is similar but I had great recommendations for a particular CD, free lodging and cave diving after the course with some friends.

I might do a SDI crossover afterwards...

Again, thanks a lot for your help!

When I look at what kind of entry level instruction many people receive in a lot of resort locations I can't help but feel bad for them. I have the impression I could do better.

This is the only sentence in this entire thread that gives me hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom