Sucking Air Through Regulator When Not Attached To A Tank???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The girlfriend got a new set of regulators (Atomic) and I was checking them out naturally.....When I put the primary in my mouth disconnected from a tank and I tried inhaling I could actually suck in some air and I could hear air being inhaled through the octopus and then again visa versa. Is this normal for Atomic? Any opinions or thoughts? Any regs I have ever used that weren't on a charged cylinder if you tried to inhale on them wouldn't do anything and you couldn't move an ounce of air through them.

Didn't some of the Atomics have a method to take the pressure off the seat when not on a tank?

Atomic 2nd stages have a "seat saver" so they will not maintain a vacuum when not pressurized (and there are two 2nds on the reg).

If you take the hose off the 1st stage and plug the end, it should keep a vacuum.

Last edited:
Thank you. When I first checked it out I was like......ummmmm ok??? I assumed everything was in working order but just wanted to confirm being that it was unlike anything I've used in the past.

So does that design allow water to flow back into the first stage whenever you dunk your regulator to clean it? I guess you would need to make a point of putting it back on a tank and blowing it out every time after cleaning....

So does that design allow water to flow back into the first stage whenever you dunk your regulator to clean it? I guess you would need to make a point of putting it back on a tank and blowing it out every time after cleaning....

I was thinking the same when I saw the video. The only way should be to rinse the second stage UNDER PRESSURE, otherwise, water can go inside the hose and to the first stage. I don't know what the cleaning or after use maintenance instructions in the user manual would look like.

I recommend to always soak regs while attached to a tank.

Back
Top Bottom