Suicide Clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had good experience in the past with the one on the picture below. All other similar carabiners I tried of the same and other brands would start to get stiff after a couple of dives. This particular type had been on at least a few dozen dives, and still continues to works as smoothly as when I bought it. Maybe it has a better quality SS spring inside. I got it at REI, but I think they no longer sell it.

View media item 200468

My personal belief is that "Situational Awareness" and "gear familiarity" is most important. Spoons don't make people fat and guns don't "kill" people.

When I started cave diving suicide clips, ie... the first one devon diver shows, were BAD! When I started side mount diving in tight and sandy places they "bolt snap religion" nearly got me hurt. I needed to remove a bottle to get through a restriction and out of a cave. Sand under the bolt and spring would not allow that on one of my bottles. Fortunately, the other was fine. I removed the bottle, exited and all was well. The other bolt snap was full of debris and could not be opened. That could have been real bad had both bolts been compromised.

I chose to move to large suicide clips for that discipline of diving. I still use large bolt snaps for my bungies, back up lights, reels, etc. Each has is place in safety. In my case suicide clips are more safe for the lower attachment on my sidemount bottles. Situational awareness is important with all gear as mental preparedness is what keeps us safe not the gear we wear. The uniform does not make a player. Skill, practice, awareness, and willingness to think for yourself is most important.

There are reason to not use these clips, but there are also reasons they can me more safe. Don't just learn the "what's" Learn the "why's" as well. Mark

I replaced lower bolt snap on my pony tank with a so-called suicide clip. Guess I have a death wish.

That has to be the worst luck ever. That's exactly why I dive with all my tanks even if I have to clip it off on the butt d ring and float it behind me.

I always dive carrying all the gas I need for deco with me. On this occasion the tank was not required for deco, rather we were using it as an additional safety factor given we were doing multiple dives for 2 weeks running. After finishing all deco obligations we then spent 3 min on the 100 Nx as additional safety. On this occasion we just finished our deco and then stayed on air for another 5 min, then chased up why the tank was missing.

I am a believer of carrying all the required gas for deco dives. In particular where there are currents or the chance of not finding the up line if a stage tank were to be attached to it. I am not a happy chappy if I have to drop tanks, but do understand reasons why this is a requirement sometimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom