How To Keep My Mouth Moist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just removed my reg and take a drink. I do this constantly when I am diving.
I might add, I dive in the great lakes where it is all clean fresh water.

In salt water, I carry a camelbak bladder between my doubles and wing for long dives.

I've heard some people say they don't get as bad dry mouth when diving with Nitrox, versus Air.
Sounds like a load of bollox to me.

Try sucking on a hard candy like a Jolly Rancher during the dive.

Personally, I would never do this when breathing my own regulators. I would absolutely not want moisture that contains sugary water/saliva getting into my 2nd stage reg.
I wouldn't either. But not because I'd worry about my reg. Rather because I don't think it's a good idea to have something in my mouth that can easily be inhaled and get stuck in my throat while I'm underwater and my only source of breathing gas is my reg. Coughing is uncomfortable enough topside...

I wouldn't either. But not because I'd worry about my reg. Rather because I don't think it's a good idea to have something in my mouth that can easily be inhaled and get stuck in my throat while I'm underwater and my only source of breathing gas is my reg. Coughing is uncomfortable enough topside...

Yup...JRs are for before & after dives & making friends. Hate to get a flavored surprise during CPR...:confused:

I wouldn't either. . . . because I don't think it's a good idea to have something in my mouth that can easily be inhaled and get stuck in my throat while I'm underwater
What he said. :)

There is a story that I remember reading somewhere where a guy used to suck on jolly ranchers. One dive, he got it stuck in his throat :eek: That was the last time he used candy underwater!

You do have a dilemma. I can't tell from your comment if it is a matter of just not wanting to take your regulator out of your mouth at all while underwater, or not being able to take in / spit out seawater afterward. If the former, your options are more limited. If the latter, I usually don't find rinsing my mouth with seawater is particularly helpful - although I will do that from time to time - because I end up being more 'thirsty' / have an even drier mouth afterward. In any event, if you do use a u/w mouth rinse with sea water, definitely don't swallow. I don't find that rinsing my mouth with it causes a problem, but swallowing it can certainly cause emesis.

As several have noted, work on increasing your comfort with removing and replacing your second stage underwater. That is an essential / core skill which should become second nature. Once that skill is mastered you have several hydration options during a dive. For example:

1. Deep Sea Supply markets a small (14oz) hydration bladder (DeepSeaSupply - Product Detail). Although it is designed and marketed specifically for use with back-mount doubles, it can fairly easily be adapted for other use (e.g. simply putting it in the pocket of a BCD, and pulling out the tube whenever you want a drink).

2. Some divers even carry a MSR or Camelbak (http://shop.camelbak.com/tahoe-lr-/d/1317_cl_4671)` hydration bladder, with a bite mouthpiece, during dives. I think these are a bit bulky (even the 'smallest' MSR Hydronedary is 2 liters), but they can be used underwater.

3. Some divers like to use drinks such as Capri Sun (http://www.caprisun.com/), with small straws. You can also get some small children's juice / liquid containers with 'closeable' caps, and refill them with water.

I suspect one of the reasons that the Deep Sea Supply product was developed for doubles is that it is more likely for dry mouth to become a problem on longer dives. But, there are times during even a 50-60 minute recreational dive that I notice my mouth becomes dry. Usually, I find this to reflect either my overall state of hydration, or my diet immediately before the dive.

I have not personally observed that the particular mouthpiece I am using makes a noticeable difference in the likelihood of developing dry mouth. But, I now use only Apeks Comfo-Bite mouthpieces, and at least one poster suggest that this mouthpiece is less likely to produce the problem. If you don't own your own equipment, mouthpiece selection is for the most part a moot point, although some diver's do carry their 'personal' mouthpiece, and some tie-wraps with them, and swap out the mouthpiece on rental equipment before the dive, then replace the original mouthpiece before returning the rental unit.

I think the problem is I worry that if I were to take in some seawater to rinse my mouth, I might not be able to stop it from going down. I know I should practice taking out my regulator and putting it back in. But everytime I go diving it seems the leader is in a hurry to dive and theres never any time to think about my skills. I will request some time for this next time.

How does one go about drinking water under water? I suppose its done with one of those water backpacks and not a water bottle.

I've changed the mouth piece of my second stage with a mouth piece that has a bridge, like the one in the attached pic. This bridge rests against your palate and makes you salivate.

Attachments

• Scuba_Mouthpiece_MP-600_7.jpg
    Scuba_Mouthpiece_MP-600_7.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 29
I think the problem is I worry that if I were to take in some seawater to rinse my mouth, I might not be able to stop it from going down. I know I should practice taking out my regulator and putting it back in. But everytime I go diving it seems the leader is in a hurry to dive and theres never any time to think about my skills. I will request some time for this next time.

How does one go about drinking water under water? I suppose its done with one of those water backpacks and not a water bottle.

As you get more comfortable with diving, you wont give it a thought. It's just like taking the reg out and replacing it in your training drills. During the process, water gets in your mouth and you expel it by blowing the water out of your mouth and the reg. As for drinking, you use a straw or a tube and just suck it in and swallow.

Like I said you'll get more comfortable with the process as you get more dives.

Jim

I like Capi suns juice pouches.

Rebreathers are quite nice in this regard! Warm and moist air is always appreciated. :D :D :D
And here I have been buying 25 cent juice boxes to deal with this. Do think I could use this as my excuse to my wife to buy a rebreather. "Honey, it will keep my mouth moist when diving, that's why I need this 8000K piece of equipment" :wink:

Back
Top Bottom