Cell phone tip for real Cozaholics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like I posted last summer T-Mobile went to a combined service area of US/Mexico/Canada last year and this in turn has forced the other mainline US carriers to roll out similar offers. Since then I have have used it often in Cozumel and various cities in central Mexico. T-Mobile and most carriers use local cell towers, primarily Telcel, and voice is normally good but data throughput varies and this is also true with other cell and cable networks. Often, due to traffic, the networks slow to a crawl during peak periods, they simply lack the bandwith verses the load placed on the network infrastructure. During off peak times the bandwith is adequate to very good.

The other thing to consider is that unlike a duel Sim solution if your carrier allows you to call Mexico that is only for out going calls from your phone. Local calls to your USA number are international from Mexican number's. Most dive shops have a work around such as a US VOIP like Magic Jack (which often fails during peak internet periods) but not necessarily other business and individuals.

Last edited:
Sprint has made it easy.

What is Sprint Open World?

With Sprint Open World, we've got you covered with FREE UNLIMITED calling and text when you're traveling in Canada, Mexico, and most other countries across Latin America. Plus you get 1GB of high-speed data FREE to use while you're there.

In addition, calling from the US to Canada and Mexico is included at no additional charge, and you get great rates when calling to other countries in Latin America, starting at just 5 cents/min.

And, if you need more data it's only $30/GB and billed based on actual usage. If you use less, you're charged less.

Last edited:
Who wants to change to Sprint? Just for a trip to Coz? No thanks.

Who wants to change to Sprint? Just for a trip to Coz? No thanks.

Only a fool would change their carrier for a trip. I was pointing out that people who have Sprint (16% of all mobile users in the US => 1 out of every 6 scubaboard readers) can now use their phone in Mexico without any extra charges, you just have to log into your account and add the Open World to it.

Last edited:
For years, when I would visit a foreign country I would take an unlocked phone and buy a local pre-paid SIM card. When I tried this a couple of years ago in Cozumel I found it was not as easy as in some other places. It's probably this way throughout Mexico, but I haven't tried elsewhere. I must have spent an hour in the Telcel office. They seemed a little perplexed by a mere tourist wanting an account. They seemed to want me to have a local address, etc., but they eventually figured out how to get around that. There were papers to fill out. I think they looked at my passport. In some countries, you can buy an anonymous pre-paid SIM card at the corner convenience store, pop it into your phone, and be on your way in minutes. Now that US carriers have international plans with reasonable roaming rates, I have given up on this method.

In the last couple of years I have been using AT&T Passport, which is available to anyone with an AT&T account. Reasonable roaming rates--data, text, voice, etc.--in countries worldwide. Before (or during) a trip, I log into my AT&T account or use the app, select which Passport plan I want (how much data, etc.), and I'm good to go for 30 days. I would imagine the other major US carriers offer something similar.

Only a fool would change their carrier for a trip. I was pointing out that people who have Sprint (16% of all mobile users in the US => 1 out of every 6 scubaboard readers) can now use their phone in Mexico without any extra charges, you just have to log into your account and add the Open World to it.
Thanks!
I have Sprint and I'll do that.

Did it. It was a little hard to find but if you use the search function on the Sprint website it comes up. Thanks again for the tip!

Last edited:
They have Canada Roaming Bonus as well, same terms as the Mexico plan.

You have to talk to a retention rep to get it added.

Just switch to Tmobile and be done with it. I've had free international service for about what 4 years now? Have used it all over the world on trip after trip after trip

They seem to be the first to do everything, and eventually the other carriers with kicking and screaming and limitations have to follow them, why not just already be there?

Just switch to Tmobile and be done with it. I've had free international service for about what 4 years now? Have used it all over the world on trip after trip after trip

They seem to be the first to do everything, and eventually the other carriers with kicking and screaming and limitations have to follow them, why not just already be there?
Yep, when the others finally do imitate T-Mobile they still seem to mine the plans with gottcha charges. They are addicted to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom