How To Keep My Mouth Moist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

igotStung

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I enjoy diving quite a bit but when I dive for more than 30 minutes, my mouth becomes dry which makes me uncomfortable and eventually leads to puking. I have tried to lick the inside of my mouth but my tongue is dry also which doesn't help.

I don't think I can take out my receptor and take in some sea which and blow it out after. Any advice?

I probably breath in the air pretty fast which doesn't help but it is a learning process.

I have the same problem...

Many have said to hydrate before you dive... Didn't help.
Others said to use Biotene mouthwash... Didn't work for me.
I bought a moisturizing regulator... Didn't work for me.

I usually take out my regulator, swish out my mouth and put the regulator back in. That works for me. I usually have to do it 2-3 times a dive.

Recently however, I've discovered if I suck on a lemon drop (or other hard candy) just before I start the dive, no more dry mouth. Give it a try, see if it works for you.

Jim

Irritation on the gum line will normally trigger a saliva reaction. Try running the tip of your tongue along the the base of your teeth and wait a minute. You should be able to tell if it will help without getting in the water.

Try sucking on a hard candy like a Jolly Rancher during the dive. Or carry a juice box or juice bag with you and learn to drink it under water.

I
I usually take out my regulator, swish out my mouth and put the regulator back in.

Irritation on the gum line will normally trigger a saliva reaction. Try running the tip of your tongue along the the base of your teeth and wait a minute. You should be able to tell if it will help without getting in the water.

I think I am saying the same thing as these two. I take my regulator out and move my tongue, wiggle my jaw, etc. enough to work up some saliva and then reinsert the regulator.

if I crease the corners of my mouth it triggers a saliva reaction without removing my reg - super useful when I'm not diving my sherwood blizzards ( it's like a rain forest in my mouth when I dive those.)

You could look into full face masks. I use one (OTS Guardian) and breath through my nose much of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom