Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shortdivemedic

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys I was looking at going to the DR diving around June 18th thru June 24th and was wondering if anybody had any good places to stay and dive. Not interested in 5 star resorts but need clean and a quality Dive op.

Cheers

My one tip (ok, 2 tips).

1. All prices are negotiable there – everything from scuba rates to trinkets @ the shanty town shops next to the resorts

2. The wall dive @ Catalina is pitched hard. From Punta Cana it's an all day excursion and it's not cheap. Check the local weather before committing. The visibility is directly dependent upon the amount of rainfall they’ve had. If there’s been a lot of rain do not go as there is a river empties into the area between the mainland and the island and when it occurs, the visibility is no better than your local murky lake, so do not waste your time.

I appreciate all the information guys

Bayahibe is the town (near La Romana) is the best spot to be for diving. Punta Cana has some dead reef but a lot of surge (not really worth the effort). ScubaFun is my favourite shop in Bayahibe...John has great boats and safe and fun DM's. There is a large Russian freighter called the St. George that is a very nice dive and has been cleaned out for safe penetration. My favourite reef dives are the Penons (there are three distinct sections). Message me if I can be of any help.

Where would you like to stay (Santo Domingo, Punta Cana, Las Terranas, etc)? Are you renting a car? What airport are you flying into? Open water or cave? I can offer ideas but it depends on your specifics.
Feel free to message me.
Golden Arrow in Santo Domingo can also help you to sort things out here Golden Arrow \ About Us.

Another vote for Bayahibe. Plus there are lots of fairly inexpensive but decent all inclusive resorts.

Back
Top Bottom