Excited to be planning for Cuba! But where????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! I have been distracted lately but appreciate the feedback!
:snorkeler:

It's hard to say for snorkeling, but I'm certainly +1 on the vote for Jardines de la Reina, Cuba. It was fabulous, very healthy, colourful and had a lot of life. And yes, tonnes of sharks - we saw Caribbean Reef, Silky, Nurse, and one Hammerhead shark. I also found Bay of Pigs to pale in comparison, and the diving around Varadero was so-so at best, with not a lot of life. The beaches around Varadero, however, are beautiful, looking pretty much like the Bahamas, white sand and varied shades of turquoise water.

The infrastructure is not there yet, which is a big part of what gives the island it's charm. A 5 star resort is probably equivalent to what many would consider about a 3.5 star resort elsewhere, and food is certainly not their specialty outside of paladars (home restaurants); restaurants that locals frequent; and Avalon, a diving/fishing company that we stayed with. However, there will be 3 Sheraton resorts built in Cuba by the end of the year, so things will be changing.

If you're interested, here is my detailed report that I posted with links to pictures/videos: Jardines de la Reina, Cuba Trip Report - September 2015

i am thinking going there,, i keep an eye on this post

Dove Guantanamo Bay many times as a navy diver and dove the area a lot lots of coral close to shore but it drops off quickly a little farther out. I assume the other areas in Cuba are the same. I think the keys are better or just as good. without the worry of communist rules and regulations. Remember you have no US rights in Cuba. Be careful and be sure to post your results.

I was in Cuba last year. Cayo Coco. I stayed at an Iberostar. It was ok. Probably won't go back. Some people say Varadero is better. Beach was very, very nice. Diving was quite bland. Very little healthy reef and fewer fish. Unprotected and overfished it seemed. Glad I had my own gear too, if you know what I mean. Not into city vacations so cannot speak to Havana. Cubans are super decent people, albeit living in fear. Music is incredible. Food, well, tripadvisor will make that issue clear. Cuba needs trillions of dollars to get anywhere near international tourist destination standards, in my opinion, and the reefs may be beyond repair, but many Canadians and some Europeans go due to the affordability. I much prefer Mexico.

Overfished, unprotected, reefs beyond repairs...sounds like Belize. I remember when Belize was like Jacque found it. Now...blowing up the beaches and fisheries for resorts. Killed the reef. Man, I was dreaming that Cuba would be pristine because they don't have the industry and runoff. Looks like that's not happening.

Was in Cuba a few times. If you're not booking with a tour (much more expensive than you spend doing it yourself), get a flight to Cancun; and then a flight to Havana. You can book your CUN-HAV leg through a Canadian travel agent, travel visa included. Easy. Dived Playa Giron (Bay of Pigs, to us)- beautiful reef, small critters; inexpensive dive op at the hotel there. Good people. Dived Playa Anchon (near Trinidad), and Cayo Levisa- both good diving, good people. Jardines de la Reina is reported to be gorgeously pristine- but also very expensive. Maria la Gorda is said to be very nice- didn't make it there. And I've heard very good things about Isla de la Juventud- lots of sites- but I didn't make it there either. I recommend staying with families in the Casas Particulares system. You find very nice home accommodations in every town. Don't need to book ahead. Stay with families- private room and bath, AC. They can give you recommendations where to stay for each next town you plan to visit. Very reasonable- $25-30/night; great meals, breakfast included usually; dinner home-cooked and always tasty, $7-10. Great country, beautiful land and warm people. Have a great time.

I'll be going this Fall with a group on the people-to-people plan, one of the 12 legal ways to go for a US citizen. We have no flights yet! The charters don't give out schedules more than 3 months in advance, and may even make that shorter because they see the scheduled airlines horning in on their business and aren't quite sure what to do. Meanwhile, the scheduled airlines are now in movement (your link)....I just hope it is soon enough for our trip! Thanks for the heads-up.
Did you start trying to get your charter air for this fall. I found a way to prebook with the charter company to ensure my group of 20 all got seats. The fall is a busy time.

Back
Top Bottom