Subsurface As Free (and Opensource!) Deco / Dive Planning Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does that do what you need?
Looks that way, thanks.

Now I just have to troubleshoot why my PC data don't sync with my Android app, but I guess that's my headache, not yours :)

Another feature I'd like to see - if it isn't already there - is download of Suunto profile bookmarks and export of the depth profile in e.g. TXT or CSV format. While Divinglog can do the latter, it can't do the former, so to properly synchronize my dive profile with my photos, I have to mess around with both Divinglog and Suunto DM3. It's quite doable, but a bit of a drag.

I suppose dirkhh pretty much covered this already, but we do also support exporting the depth profile to CSV format. However, the exported depth profile does not display the bookmarks. On the other hand, our exported picture list from a dive contains the depth (but not time - but then again the time is already in your exif data).

Anyway, you should check out picture support in Subsurface if it already works for you. You can tune the image offset from a pic of your dive computer when loading them to Subsurface. And once, you have loaded the pics, with adjusted time stamps, you can export the image name and depth to TXT file.

So the design idea is to have an option in the File menu to switch between different users. What I haven't figured out, yet, is how to share the dive site database between those two users (which seems to make a lot of sense).
Right now each user would have up to three favorite dive computers that you can switch to with one click (for downloading). Is there anything else that would make this more useful?

Since we don't have 3 computers each and are not sync'ed to the cloud, we just have 2 files and switching between them via file menu works for me. Sharing dive sites is kinda what I had in mind when I asked about public dive site database upthread. Other than that you could potentially copy-paste selected dives between 2 logs and pop up a form asking what fields to overwrite -- but OTOH I could probably do it to XML files in 20 lines of python...

I suppose dirkhh pretty much covered this already, but we do also support exporting the depth profile to CSV format. However, the exported depth profile does not display the bookmarks. On the other hand, our exported picture list from a dive contains the depth (but not time - but then again the time is already in your exif data).
Thanks. He may have covered it, but if so I didn't understand it.

Anyway, you should check out picture support in Subsurface if it already works for you.
That's a neat feature, but it doesn't fit my personal workflow. I use Lightroom to manage my pics,and pictures in my dive log are secondary at best. I want my primary picture library (LR) to contain those data, independent of my dive log.

Other divers' MMV, of course.
You can tune the image offset from a pic of your dive computer when loading them to Subsurface. And once, you have loaded the pics, with adjusted time stamps, you can export the image name and depth to TXT file.
We may be speaking on different levels here. My camera's time is usually fairly correct, but my dive computer has an inaccuracy in the order of a minute or so WRT time for the start of the dive, and thus my dive profile's timestamps. Also, the clock in my computer is drifting more than my camera's, and I don't check it to the minute as often as I do with my camera. Those two things are the reason for the mismatch between dive computer time and camera time, and why I need a calibration of the two time measurements.

I'm really not trying to be difficult here, just checking if Subsurface's features fit my personal (perceived) needs :)

I've just downloaded SubSurface.
Imported my Suunto .sde dive log, but it doesn't include any of the air readings, or weights or equipment used unfortunately.

This is a bit problematic, as Suunto does not export all required information to the .sde file. At least the air readings are missing from it and thus we cannot import this information. DM3 uses MSAccess database and we do not support that at all. However, there is a workaround (copied from our user forum):

Then I saw the option to upload to divelogs.de and import them from there! Using the Suunto uploader for Windows (Beta) worked like a dream and it then all downloaded (with gas usage) to Subsurface equally smoothly :)

Looks that way, thanks.

Now I just have to troubleshoot why my PC data don't sync with my Android app, but I guess that's my headache, not yours :)

Make sure you have Subsurface-mobile installed on the Android (not the app that is called just Subsurface). The Subsurface-mobile was released a few weeks ago and that is the one that should display you dive log. The older mobile app called Subsurface only records GPS locations and does confuse quite a few people.

Looks that way, thanks.

Actually, I think I might be able to help you. Can you send me email with your credentials, please? dirk at subsurface-divelog.org

Since we don't have 3 computers each and are not sync'ed to the cloud, we just have 2 files and switching between them via file menu works for me. Sharing dive sites is kinda what I had in mind when I asked about public dive site database upthread. Other than that you could potentially copy-paste selected dives between 2 logs and pop up a form asking what fields to overwrite -- but OTOH I could probably do it to XML files in 20 lines of python...
Well... the switch could also change the default XML file to use... I'll definitely keep the "non-cloud" people in mind :)
The idea I'm tossing around for dive sites is a bit odd... if you use the same computer running Subsurface and switch between files, have ALL dive sites available for auto completion, regardless which file they came from... this isn't implemented, yet, but it's something I'd like to do

Make sure you have Subsurface-mobile installed on the Android (not the app that is called just Subsurface). The Subsurface-mobile was released a few weeks ago and that is the one that should display you dive log. The older mobile app called Subsurface only records GPS locations and does confuse quite a few people.
Ah, that probably explains a bit :) Thanks, I'll check it out when I have time to tinker a bit.

Actually, I think I might be able to help you. Can you send me email with your credentials, please? dirk at subsurface-divelog.org
Sorry, I don't understand what you want. What do you mean with "credentials"?
English isn't my first language.

Ah, that probably explains a bit :) Thanks, I'll check it out when I have time to tinker a bit.

Sorry, I don't understand what you want. What do you mean with "credentials"?
English isn't my first language.

English isn't my first language, either :)

So as theBro mentioned - there are confusingly two apps (we'll fix this in the not too distant future).

The "Subsurface" app that is actually the "Subsurface companion" app. That one ONLY collects GPS data. It's by Aurelien Pralong. This one CANNOT sync with the Subsurface cloud data to see your dive list on the phone

The "Subsurface-mobile" app lists "Subsurface" as it's author. That's the one that can sync with the desktop version.

In order to do that you need a Subsurface cloud account which is based on an email address. It's that email address that I was asking you about when I mentioned "credentials". And please do NOT send me your password :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom