Recommendations For Diving In North Cal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joakala

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody,

I'll be in the Bay Area for the next 2 weeks, first time here, Open Water Dive with less than 10 dives in my record. I'd like to go to the best place around of a 4hour drive from the Bay Area, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Give Point Lobo a try. You will need to make reservation ahead of time. And I agree with Scubagolf, first timer, hire a guide. Monterey diving is world class on a good day. But condition can change in a dime and become very tough

I can't help but notice that mention of "with less than 10 dives in my record". We all had to start somewhere, so there's nothing wrong with being new at this game. Just take it one step at a time, and that first step should be a gentle step. You should only go out on a day that is very calm and your first few dives should be some place which is very forgiving. I would suggest starting with a couple of dives at Breakwater down to maybe 40' just so you can get used to the buoyancy swings with depth. THEN you might consider going out on the Beach Hopper or drive down to Point Lobos.

Thanks, everybody! I'll check your recommendations.

And what about if I want to join a friend who has never dive before on a diving baptism, is there a recommended place to take one?

I second the recommendation to dive the Breakwater first as an acclimation dive. Hire a guide or find an buddy.
After that, if it were me I'd get on a dive boat and ask to be buddied with someone, or again hire a guide, which could be costly on a dive boat since California dive boats seldom provide a DM. You'd have to hire an independant and pay their boat charter fee plus their personal fee. But dive boats are great none the less and there are several good boats to choose from.

Last edited:
I second (or third, or fourth...whatever we're up to) Monterey as your best choice. Any location North of San Francisco is generally rougher diving and much more unpredictable.

Check out Monterey SCUBA Diving Charter Boats and check out the boat schedules. You can call ahead and let them know your experience level and they will be very helpful. You will very likely be able to find a buddy on board to dive with.

Also, check out California Diver Magazine. There are many great articles on there on Monterey-area dive locations and advice for diving them, along with great photos.

Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom