What are Your Favorite Side Mount Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

85/2640 * 3600 = 115.9cu'

85/2640 * 3600 = 115.9cu'
If you write to Faber and demonstrate to their satisfaction how you'll use the information in their data base and drawings website, they'll grant you access to that website. It takes them about 6 months to get back to you regarding your request.

When you do that however, you'll be able to learn all kinds of interesting things like the specs on Faber's tanks - in this case the Faber LP "85s"

Per their own database, which is far more reliable than Faber's marketing literature, the shorter 7.24" diameter Faber LP 85 has an internal volume of 787 cubic inches and the taller and skinnier 7.01" diameter Faber LP 85 has an internal volume of 793 cubic inches.

The standard pressure at 1 atmosphere at sea level is 14.695 psi, so that volume lets us calculate the tank's capacity at it's full rated capacity (2400 plus the 10% overfill on a 3AA tank). So,

2640 psi/14.7 psi =179.59,
787 cubic inches * 179.59 = 141,338 cubic inches
convert that to cubic feet by dividing 141,338 by 1728 (12x12x12) and you get 81.79 cu ft.

Now we can calculate the volume at a cave fill of 3600 psi.

81.8/2640=.03098,
.03098 * 3600 = 111.54

Even if you re-run the numbers using 1 bar (14.5 psi) you still only get 82.9 cu ft.

The 7.01" diameter Faber LP 85 has an internal volume of 793 cubic inches. Crunch the same formula and you get 82.42 cubic feet at 2640 psi and 112.38 cu ft at 3600 psi.

The bad news is that your Faber "LP 85s" are really "LP 82s". Sorry.

The good news is that your SAC just improved slightly.

Last edited:
Not really an issue. I switched to a rebreather last week and put away my LP85's.

I am just venturing into the "side mount realm" and am trying what I have in terms of tanks. Just did a tryout Sunday and sided two 117 hp Fabers. They trimmed out very well and in a 5mm jump wetsuit no weight was needed. I had filled the tanks to 3000 psi at the start and because of the tanks negative buoyancy or lack of positive buoyancy in the wetsuit, the air needed in the wing caused some "tacoing". However nothing that couldn't be overcome. Might look into a different wing but for now it works. As far as the hoses go, that is a work in progress. Had a 40" on the left tank and a 30" on the right. Both worked OK but could be a few inches longer. Routing on the left was up in back of my tricep and across my shoulders. Right was up in back of tricep and over shoulder. I love the turrets on top of the HOG regs. I will try to post a movie we took of the maiden dive. Thanks to all who post and comment here as that was my inspiration!!:wink:

I use standard Worthington AL 80's. The reason is because most of my diving is with Catalina AL 80's and I want something that can duplicate their buoyancy characteristics when I breathe the tanks down. Because I change exposure suits often, I like to negotiate proper weight position accordingly.

Oh...I'm diving a Razor 2.

LP50s with a cave fill, Slim 72s (just got mine!!!), 7" Faber LP85s if in tight stuff and deeper or longer, LP95s for the rest. I usually add stages beyond that, or go backmount.

Really, dive what you have access to! The 7" Faber LP85 is probably the most universally loved.

I have a set of HP130s that I busted apart for a trip to the east coast last summer. I'm pondering using them for SM on a Hollis SMS 100. When I dive these BM, I don't use a weightbelt, so I am thinking they could work pretty well for SM. (I am just beginning to dabble with SM).

I would use these diving in OW from a RHIB 99% of the time. I ditch my tanks in the water and haul them in later and hauling twin130s back into my boat is a bit much. Because I dive solo a lot, having all my junk up front is appealing!

I'm diving dry, with 400 gsm undies.

Thoughts on this configuration appreciated...

I use the Worthy HP 130s as well for my deep / long SM dives. If I am doing an easy dive then I use my faber HP100s. I wish I could get my hands on some Worthy LP85s though as the extra weight at the end of the dive would be nice. (I don't put any weight on my harness) Of course this is Florida style steel tank SM diving. I've got an X-Deep 2.0 for Mexico style aluminum tank diving which is very nice.

Gotcha... I kinda figure it's worth a try since they are the tanks I have. I have some steel LP85s as well, but they require a bit of a weight belt and it would be nice to avoid strapping lead to my SM harness. Without lead on it, I will just haul my a$$ into the boat as I do now. Strapping 14 pounds of lead back there would mean dumping the tanks and the harness in the water...

Sounds like it might be worth a try... Worst case, is my trim is all our of whack... I'm not even convinced that the benefit of SM is worth it at this point... I'm really just in that "check it out" stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom