• Cressi

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • ScubaPro

Votes: 6 7.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many buckles/straps have you torn out on the Hunter Pac? Maybe you're discussing something that never happens....

Exactly. I have been diving SP BC's since 91 when I was certified. I've had two in 25 years. Never a failed clip or buckle, never a torn or frayed strap, never one single failure of any kind in 1000+ dives. Their BC's are very high quality and rugged. There may be others out there just as good but I've never seen one better.

I'm still waiting for the "Christmas Tree" comparison about all those misplaced d-rings and how they dangle all over the place and how they affect your streamlining. As if in reality, a few small d-rings attached to your BC affects anything at all.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while all of us have had this discussion more times than we can remember, for the OP this may be the first time he is hearing it.

If anyone doesn't enjoy going over the same points again and again for a new audience, there is certainly no obligation to participate. But it shouldn't be a surprise that the same question generates the same answer.

I personally like this discussion. I like helping new divers understand that just because the vast majority of casual divers use a jacket BC, that doesn't mean that it's a better option. And if they are purchasing a BC, this is a good as time as any to learn.

Based on the OPs last few comments, he seems to have very little idea of what the BPW actually is, so there is still an opportunity for teaching, which is why we have these forums in the first place.

I think most people dive jackets because that is what they were trained on so therefore it must be right (hint - this isn't necessarily true for a multitude of reasons).

I think a lot more people would choose a BP&W if they had a chance to try one that has been properly set up or watch a diver that has one.

I think most people dive jackets because that is what they were trained on so therefore it must be right (hint - this isn't necessarily true for a multitude of reasons).

I think a lot more people would choose a BP&W if they had a chance to try one that has been properly set up or watch a diver that has one.

Honestly I think this is 100% accurate. I'm sure I could have trained in the worst Jacket style setup and yet when it came time to buy my own I would still be most comfortable buying a Jacket style since it was what I knew and the only thing I had ever used.

To new divers I think the BP&W just seems foreign, and it is a lot easier to stick with what you know than to leave your comfort zone. Especially since to a new diver, the act of diving itself is so new, that it feels like the safer option to go with a jacket style. For example if I bought exactly what I trained in I would already know what weight I needed in fresh and salt water. ( I know its not rocket science but still to a new diver its one less thing to worry about)

Speaking for myself, I know if I had trained in a BP&W i would probably not even look at BCD jackets, and we wouldn't be having this conversation :)

But I will say I appreciate this discussion, and it has gotten me to do a lot more research on the back plate and wing. Rather than just dismissing it because of the fear of the unknown I am actually seeing that there are some pretty great befits to one.

that's the right attitude. Do more research and make an educated decision. there is nothing like trying one on though!

But I will say I appreciate this discussion, and it has gotten me to do a lot more research on the back plate and wing. Rather than just dismissing it because of the fear of the unknown I am actually seeing that there are some pretty great befits to one.
Does this means that bpw "proponents" get free cookie/beer/burger?
Well, I already had a few beers, so little bit light headed, but I think this shows what purpose "pushing" serves, make people think "out of the box".
Whatever you choose, good luck.

Honestly I think this is 100% accurate. I'm sure I could have trained in the worst Jacket style setup and yet when it came time to buy my own I would still be most comfortable buying a Jacket style since it was what I knew and the only thing I had ever used.

To new divers I think the BP&W just seems foreign, and it is a lot easier to stick with what you know than to leave your comfort zone. Especially since to a new diver, the act of diving itself is so new, that it feels like the safer option to go with a jacket style. For example if I bought exactly what I trained in I would already know what weight I needed in fresh and salt water. ( I know its not rocket science but still to a new diver its one less thing to worry about)

Speaking for myself, I know if I had trained in a BP&W i would probably not even look at BCD jackets, and we wouldn't be having this conversation :)

I was lucky in that my instructor uses one so I could see it in action. Soon as I saw that I realised it was a better setup for me

Hollis HD200 is a very nice BC. I used it before switching over to BP and wing and still use it for OW rec dives. It's been great to me.

Rent the film "Thunderball" and see how those guys are diving. Not a BC in the entire film and everyone is diving doubles. Train yourself to dive without a BC and then decide if you really want one or need one. An ABS plastic pack with a single tank strap and 2 inch rubber Hogarthian harness with wire buckles is a fine set up and about 40 dollars total cost.

[To new divers I think the BP&W just seems foreign, and it is a lot easier to stick with what you know than to leave your comfort zone. Especially since to a new diver, the act of diving itself is so new, that it feels like the safer option to go with a jacket styl one.[/QUOTE]

I very much agree. When it came time for a new BC I read all the reviews and wouldn't consider a BP&W. It was new to me, seemed over my head, and had never tried one. I thought I wasn't experienced enough to mange it. Boy was I wrong!
I've only got about 60 dives on mine and mostly with a soft travel wing, love it, easy for me (a small woman) to do everything myself, and customize it to just what suits me.

Back
Top Bottom