Better Time Zero gravity or Inner space

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This topic has never been addressed in all the anesthesia lectures I have had. I thought (just by looking at the facilities at the hospital) that oxygen was brought in liquid and then converted, that medical oxygen had to be close to pure (99%) and your telling me its not? :icon10: What kinda of medicine do they practice in New York?? :wink:

All kidding aside, we calibrate our oxygen sensors on room air, then on 100% oxygen from the wall. If you are unable to trust your fill, how do you calibrate?

newt:
This topic has never been addressed in all the anesthesia lectures I have had. I thought (just by looking at the facilities at the hospital) that oxygen was brought in liquid and then converted, that medical oxygen had to be close to pure (99%) and your telling me its not? :icon10: What kinda of medicine do they practice in New York?? :wink:

All kidding aside, we calibrate our oxygen sensors on room air, then on 100% oxygen from the wall. If you are unable to trust your fill, how do you calibrate?
There are actually TWO medical oxygen standards.. In most places the higher standard is used, however 100% oxygen is NOT available everywhere there is a second standard that allow for 93%+/- 3% this was specifically put in place for methods of generating oxygen that can not produce 100% oxygen.

Plus it allows outpatients to be put on "oxygen" without them having to rely on a constant source of oxygen in compressed bottles, they can use simple oxygen generators which are usually PSA systems.

I trust my oxygen analyzer since I routinely check it from my storage banks which I fill myself from LOX (with gas purity documentation).. I calibrate the meter in air and check that it has no problems reaching 100%, I'll NEVER calibrate it from an unknown unproven oxygen source...

for some further reading see
http://www.ogsi.com/applications.html
http://www.ogsi.com/engineering_specs.html

There are many other references these are two I had bookmarked. If you drop me a PM with your # I'll give you a call..

Hi Doug,

Nice to meet you at ZG.
Nice web site...but what WERE you thinking with that 28degree water ice dive???
No wonder you've spent so much time in the Carribean....you're trying to THAW OUT!!!

Anyway, it was nice diving with you. The night dive down the wall was memorable. Look forward to more good times.

Later,
Ryan

Ryan,

Just caught your message here, the dives were great, I also thought the last dive we did way out the wall to the eagels head rock was one of the best, once I got over my minor co2 hit from chasing down that damn submarine.

After reading more about co2 I think I really must have just overbreather the scrubber catching the sub - after our sprint out to the reef. No more 4 hour+ sorb runs for me!

It is a real testement to these kind of events, especially for rebreather divers, finding new friends to meet up with and dive in the future.

Cheers

Right you are, Doug...
We are definitely in a small minority. It's good to meet up with other divers so we can plan future dive adventures! Looking forward to our next dive trip!
Ryan

Dear Newt,
Please email me privately at cdorders888@yahoo.com asap or better yet please call me (I'll email back my phone number). I feel that this could be important for safety and it is in response to your much earlier post about rebreathers. Thank you.

newt:
When and where are these events going to be? As a physican I would like to see what problems the RB divers are having and how they can possibly be made safer. I would like to bring my anesthesia equiptment (monitors) and see if I can detect any problems with the circuits on very long or very deep dives.
It just seems to me if you are going to breathe the same gas for 3-6 hours, that your body may be polluting it with something that may effect your diving (besides CO2) Anyway, what do you guys think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom