Bonaire Crime - Our experience - Looking for input to share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to have given you the wrong impression. I have long been in the "negative" or defeatist camp on the Bonaire truck crime issue. I cannot say I know that the authorities have enough knowledge and evidence of who the thieves are to make arrests and convictions. The Jimmys are probably not carrying as many car batteries as they are small things that fit in their pockets, and Jimmy probably isn't out on the road as much as moving from one friend's house to another. Officer can suspect Jimmy, but can he detain, search, and arrest Jimmy, and will it stick? I don't know how the law works there.

I have always followed the suggestions to leave the windows down and leave nothing of value in the truck on my previous trips to Bonaire but worry what to do with the truck key when diving. The last two trips I was given a truck with the electronic key fob so couldn't take it underwater with me. Anyone have a solution?

Last edited:
I have always followed the suggestions to leave the windows down and leave nothing of value in the truck on my previous trips to Bonaire but worry what to do with the truck key when diving. The last two trips I was given a truck with the electronic key fob so couldn't take it underwater with me. Anyone have a solution?
Leave the fob in your room, put the key in your bc.

Just in case someone actually wants to follow up with the police here is a link: Bonaire
I sent them an email requesting comment on 7 March. Zero response.

NOW can we acknowledge what is probably the main source of the problem? And it is NOT under-staffing.
NOW can we recognise the high esteem that Bonaire tourists are held in?

Go to Bonaire or not, your choice
Exactly!!
Problem is that many coral fans (oops) from the U.S. who cannot afford $900 for airfare or dislike more than 6 hours in the air, are kinda stuck with going to the Caribbean, and I do believe that voting divers and scientific researchers have concluded that Bonaire is probably the best that there is in that particular pond (has Cozumel degraded THAT seriously?)

So, yes, I have chosen. Crap snorkelling; so-so diving; too much crime; high top-side costs; indifferent authorities.
It was easy.

Last edited:
I have found beer preference to be a very personal thing, subject to strong opinions and controversy - I guess such a discussion is not much of a hijack.
Well now that you opened that up.... Geez I cannot people are arguing over which swill they prefer :wink: After 1 week on island I am ready to kill someone for an IPA! Which I guess would just escalate the crime on the island even more :)

... but worry what to do with the truck key when diving. The last two trips I was given a truck with the electronic key fob so couldn't take it underwater with me. Anyone have a solution?

Otterbox - good beyond rec levels.

Geez I cannot people are arguing over which swill they prefer
I've stayed out of it so far, but Amstel Bright is the official beer of ScubaBoard. Thought you should know. :D

This made me LOL. You're right to a degree. But if everybody knows everybody, maybe the cops don't want to arrest them. Like "hey Jimmy, what you got there a camera? Hmmm, where'd you get this camera? You better give me half the money for selling this or else I'll call your parents and have to put you in jail."

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

You've obviously been around the block, if not to Bonaire.

Back
Top Bottom