Equipment For Beginning Tec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogster84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm currently planning on going into tech diving soon and doing a fundamentals course first.
I know I will need to replace quite a bit of my equipment and that my instructor (probably a LDS which offers TDI classes) will have some input as well. But first I'd like to get som feedback from your side.

Current equipment:
Waterproof D7 Pro ISS dry suit
Apex XTX200 (2011 model) as primary
Apex DS4 & XTX40 (2011 model) as backup
Sola2000 light
Suunto Eon steel dive computer
Suunto Zoop as backup
15 liter steel tank (~125cf?)
Cressi bcd

I know I need to replace my jacket with a wing, switch to 12 ltr doubles and get a stage.
Are the regs OK, what else would you switch or buy on top?
I'd like to go through the pain of replacing everything just once and not have to buy things multiple times...

I assume the Apeks set can be broken up and put on an extra DS4 First stage than they should be able to be configured for doubles If you want to keep a singles reg around then the sky is the limit for what you can buy for either doubles or as a new singles rig. I assume you are already using DIN regs so that wont be much of a switch there. I try to keep to one brand/model of regs if possible so that I can mix and match if needed.

I would talk to your instructor and ask about your computers I have seen it be requested to switch computers to gauge only mode for the class. When I did AN/DP we dove with our computers in computer mode but we planned and executed the dive with tables. If we had a computer that wouldnt clear deco based on our plan we would stay down until the computer cleared. We planned deco on air and used 50% during deco for added cushion since we were far from ideal medical facilities.

Certainly, you will get primary advice from the instructor(s) you ultimately choose to work with. But, You are getting a good start just by asking some initial questions.
I know I will need to replace quite a bit of my equipment and that my instructor (probably a LDS which offers TDI classes) will have some input as well. But first I'd like to get some feedback from your side.

Apex XTX200 (2011 model) as primary
Apex DS4 & XTX40 (2011 model) as backup

Are the regs OK, what else would you switch or buy on top?
Your DS4 with the XTX40 2nd stage should be fine as a deco reg. The XTX200 (FSR first stage, presumably) is a good backgas reg for doubles (I dive a set of FSRs, and a set of Tec 3s, and am happy with both). Get an additional FSR first stage with a single XTX50 second stage, and you will have a very functional backgas reg set. You should plan to ultimately change our your hoses - certainly the second stage hoses, unless you are currently diving a long hose / bungeed necklace configuration. And, quite possibly your HP hose and LPI hose as well, to get optimal lengths. That isn't something to do pre-emptively, I am just planting a seed for future thought (and budgeting)
I'd like to go through the pain of replacing everything just once and not have to buy things multiple times...
Wouldn't we all? :) Over the years I have come to view equipment configuration for technical diving to be best described as a 'work in progress' instead of a 'replacing everything just once' endeavor.

Last edited:
Just to clarify: the xtx200 is connected to a FSR first stage. The XTX 40 (Octo version) is connected to the DS4 - both are currently connected to the 15l bottle (two valves)

As far as I can remember Apeks did some major changes around 2013 (different service kit at least) - would you recommend matching this with a new XTX 200 (and FST)?

Sounds like they would probally swap over to a set of doubles with minimal if any hose changes or re config you may need to change some hose lengths but I would use your XTX200 for your right post/long hose and your DST4/XTX40 as your backup.

Check out
DIR-diver.com - Reg configuration doubles

Just to clarify: the xtx200 is connected to a FSR first stage. The XTX 40 (Octo version) is connected to the DS4 - both are currently connected to the 15l bottle (two valves)

As far as I can remember Apeks did some major changes around 2013 (different service kit at least) - would you recommend matching this with a new XTX 200 (and FST)?

What major changes? The internals and service kits are still the same and parts are still backwards compatible. The 2nd stages are now reversible with changes in the housing and air barrel but the rest remains the same.

the only two things you would have to do is ditch the zoop, it can't go into gauge mode and as such has no place in technical diving, and the cressi bcd to a backplate and wing. I prefer Deep Sea Supply, especially if you are over about 6'3" because of the long backplate, but otherwise any of the backplate/wings will be sufficient.

I would not recommend the FSR or FST or even really the DS4 for backgas, the DST is far superior to any of them. Apeks shouldn't have changed the service kits to make one not work with the others. I.e. the US4 DS4 DST FSR FST Tek3 regs should all accept the same parts kits, and the whole XTX second stage family should as well.

If you're buying another reg set, then for matching sake I would get another XTX200/FSR but get the 5th port upgrades for both first stages. You'll want that for your wing inflator and secondary. Use the DS4/XTX40 as your O2 regulator, and you're good to go.

Take your time with replacing gear, as you progress with tech diving you will end up with a lot of regs and gear. Plenty of people have used the DS4 for back gas, I have several and they are nice regs.

Your Zoop is fine for now and you can use it as a bottom timer by simply ignoring the NDL info. After you bend it (surface with it showing incompleted deco due and it will "lock out" for 48 hours ) it will function still perfectly as a bottom timer and still record your dive info. With the lock out you just lose the NDLs. I made hundreds of tech dives using its predecessor, the Gekko, that way and still have it as a backup. The downside is its not back-lit and doesn't show seconds.

The only things I think you should replace immediately are get a BP and wing, get a small lift bag/SMB, appropriate primary and backup lights.

A decent instructor will lend you kit. Part of the course is learning what suits you by trying it out BEFORE spending money.

Initially you will not need a stage. That comes at ANDP, you will probably do intro to tech first to get the hang of a twinset. The regs you have will do for now, then buy another set the same as one you have to put two the same on the twinset and the odd one on the stage. The xtx200 can be reversed if you fancy that for maybe easier routing and certainly easier identification.

Keep in mind that you can do really a lot of diving with a twinset of 32% and a little or no deco. The whole extra cylinder of deco gas thing can wait until you are totally comfortable with the twinset, shutdowns, s-drills etc.

Ps if you can't find a decent tdi instructor locally price flights to Bristol and talk to this guy www.dive-tech.co.uk

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom