Buying New Kit, After Function, What Matters Most?

Cost or Aesthetics?

• Money saved wins hands down.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Rule 1 always look good is the rule I go by.

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

desert diver paul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
You are buying a new bit of kit, this can be any bit of diving kit in this scenario. There are 2 examples of this item in your LDS that would both fulfill your practical needs for said item almost equally well.

One item is relatively inexpensive, but ugly as sin, choice number 2 is more expensive, however is a thing of beauty.

Simple question, which aspect is more important to you? cost or aesthetics?

It's important that it be the blackest shade of black. Remember, you will mostly look at it out of the water, so it needs to be as pleasing on the shelf as much as work well. :)

it depends what it is

You are buying a new bit of kit, this can be any bit of diving kit in this scenario. There are 2 examples of this item in your LDS that would both fulfill your practical needs for said item almost equally well.

One item is relatively inexpensive, but ugly as sin, choice number 2 is more expensive, however is a thing of beauty.

Simple question, which aspect is more important to you? cost or aesthetics?

Neither - comfort comes next after function. After that, for me anyway, cost is more important than whether I look like a dork. Lets face it anyone dressing in a mask, wetsuit, fins etc will look like a dork - it is all a matter of how far down the dork scale you want to be.

Your budget

Doesn't whether a piece of gear fits the diver come under the umbrella of "function"?

I have never thought about the "aesthetics" of any piece of dive gear. I am cognizant of wetsuits and drysuits having color options, but that's about all I can think of. Aside from suits, it seems to me it is all a bunch of industrial-looking junk with minor variations in industrial design.

I buy what will get the job done for the least cost.

Fit and function are hand-in-hand as the first thing to review. After that is cost/durability review (life cycle). Not sure where "vanity" fits in. There are so many options this day and age, you likely can find the "eye candy" version too.....

(example: just got a "year end closeout" pair of ski boots. 2016 model, and upper end. Best fit in a boot I've had in decades. Cost was insanely low. They are "chartreuse", but all my gear is red/black/grey/white (and you know how "ski fashion" runs). For the way they feel, I'll suffer through the color clash....)

Doesn't whether a piece of gear fits the diver come under the umbrella of "function"?

I thought so, but maybe not to some people

I have never thought about the "aesthetics" of any piece of dive gear. I am cognizant of wetsuits and drysuits having color options, but that's about all I can think of. Aside from suits, it seems to me it is all a bunch of industrial-looking junk with minor variations in industrial design.

I buy what will get the job done for the least cost.
I like the look of industrial design!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom