Galveston In Sept.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Fling Charters. A trip to the Flower Gardens with these guys would be my first recommendation. Another option would be diving the oil rigs. Last time I went to the oil rigs it was with Captain Beard Charters.

Flower Gardens on The Fling is a full two day trip. Well worth it if you can steal another free day.

If not, will that free day be a Saturday or Sunday? There's not a real active day charter boat industry in this area so the handful of day charters generally schedule trips on demand. There's typically not much demand for mid-week trips but sometimes it happens. My suggestion would be to contact one of the day ops like Capt beard charters, request the date you will be available, and they can start trying to fill out the boat for that day.

Most day charters seem to go out of Freeport, TX which is about 30 miles down the coast from Galveston. The reason for that is that you can get to deeper clearer water faster out of Freeport than Galveston.

We sometimes go out during the week like we did last Thursday.

What specific day are you looking for in September?

Yeah, that's gonna be tough out of Galveston. I too would recommend the Freeport area. You can hit Stetson Bank and the rigs only a couple of hours from there. It can be very good diving. The trick is going to be making your timeline work.

Would love to do the FGB but I'll only have 1 mid-week day to dive. It doesn't have to be saltwater either.

My friend lives just north of Galveston. Once he mentioned diving here: Scuba Diving in Houston at 288 Lake
Don't expect great vis...

I think you have to find someone going out to the rigs for that - mid-week might be a problem.

Last edited:
My friend lives just north of Galveston. Once he mentioned diving here: Scuba Diving in Houston at 288 Lake
Don't expect great vis...I think you have to find someone going out to the rigs - it's what he does on his boat. But mid-week might be a problem.

If you are thinking about 288, I would consider going to Mammoth Lake down in Lake Jackson. It's only an hour or so from Houston. Mammoth has a full scuba shop at the lake and lots more to do underwater. There is a C-130, boats, trucks, f-5, sub (mock up) and tons of other stuff there. The viz will not be very good, but varies from 2 ft. to 15 ft.

There's also a pretty good restaurant at the dock.

Mammoth Lake Scuba | Houston Scuba Diving & Triathlon Training Lake

I just want to get in the water! One more state off my list! It's looking like a Wednesday will be my best day to get away.

Don't know if it has opened yet this year, but Scuba Lessons Houston TX Woodlands Tx All inclusive usually has the best visibility of all the Houston mud holes. What date will you be here?

Edit: Just realized that you had said September in your title. If that is the case, Blue Lagoon will probably be your best bet. The other mud holes usually get a fairly heavy algae bloom by the end of summer.

Back
Top Bottom