Scubapro Fins?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reks_mallo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been looking at the SP SW Nova Gorilla fins at my LDS and tried them out in the pool. I was very impressed with the design and overall feel of the fins. I also got to try out the standard SW novas which were great too. My only problem is the almost $200 price point.

My LDS doesn't carry any jet fins that I know of. So I'm wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare the two designs side by side.

I haven't used the Gorillas (which I know is your question) but.... I have the Novas and love them. They are the most comfortable and effortless fin I've ever used. That said, they have a couple of drawbacks to me...

1. As you mentioned, the cost.

2. Their size. The length isn't bad but the width makes it very difficult to pack them in a suitcase.

Jim

Like I said in the post, I've tried both types of SW fins I'm just curious of how jet fins compare. If I don't get jet fins, I'll just wait and save up for SW Nova Gorilla fins because they were the most comfortable to me.

I do have a pair of SP Jet fins too. They are OK but I prefer the Novas. LOTS of folks love the Jet fins. Every time I try the Jet's again I always go back to the Novas. The Jets are very heavy in comparison to the Novas, but are more compact. To me, the foot pocket is not as comfortable as the Novas. But that's just me. Individual preference.

Keep an eye on Ebay and you might pickup a good deal on Jets. I got a pair on Ebay with spring straps for $25 delivered a few years ago.

Jim

Like I said in the post, I've tried both types of SW fins I'm just curious of how jet fins compare. If I don't get jet fins, I'll just wait and save up for SW Nova Gorilla fins because they were the most comfortable to me.
I've been looking at the SP SW Nova Gorilla fins at my LDS and tried them out in the pool. I was very impressed with the design and overall feel of the fins. I also got to try out the standard SW novas which were great too. My only problem is the almost $200 price point.

My LDS doesn't carry any jet fins that I know of. So I'm wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare the two designs side by side.

It's all about the jet fins! For me, they are the best all purpose fin on the market...and, if reasonably cared for, should last a lifetime. Not sure about the Novas, but I generally like everything Scubapro makes.

I have tried all three and FOR ME Jets are my favorite. If you really like the Novas or Gorrillas then you most likely will find the Jets heavy and clunky. When I tried the Novas and Gorrillas I found my foot would roll to the right or left on the down stroke. Thus I has less control.

A couple of years ago I had some friends compare three fins: Twin Jet, Nova/Gorilla, and Jet fins. the easiest fin for propulsion was the Twin Jet, but it lacked power (thrust or ability to push a lot of equipment through the water), maneuverability (swimming backwards or using the modified frog kick) and speed. The fastest fin was the Nova, yet it lacked power and maneuverability. Neither the Twin Jet nor the Nova was ideal for the modified frog kick. The Jet fin provided the best maneuverability and power, however it tired the legs much much quicker when kicking hard with the flutter kick.

Since I prefer the modified frog kick when diving I use my Jet fins. If I am going to dive in the river with a swift current I used my Nova fins. Rarely do I use my Twin Jets. Over all, I much prefer the Jet fin.

The SW Nova Gorilla fins were (as I imagine) SP's answer to make the SW Novas stiffer and bring in the option of frog kicks. They are noticeably differ but not so much as to defeat the design of the novas. One of the only drawbacks to the gorillas is that it only comes in two colors, black and instruct-o-orange. The latter being only available to DM's and instructors.

Last edited:
My Seawings give better thrust at low effort levels. The Jet's have to frog kick to work when I wanted to go slow, and I'm still trying to get the hang of frog kicking. My Seawings are obviously harder to frog kick, but they require it less often. I liked the Seawings better.

The Nova's seem faster than the Gorilla's. The Nova is positive, the Gorilla is neutral, and the jet was very negative. (size 13's, XL)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom