CLAIM: SKIN-Diver is also an acronym. True or False

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skin Diver Magazine (1951-2002) covered both breath-hold and scuba diving....it was all skin diving, as distinguished from suit diving, meaning hardhat, lead boots, umbilical, etc.

For a long time "skin diving" was the overall term and encompassed "snorkel and scuba diving."

Any attempt to convert SKIN to an acronym deserves to be published in Snopes.

This old article might help some of you with the history and the genealogy of diving names, It was originally published in on of my dedicated magazine columns or possibly my news paper column, which I have been unable to locate, but in 2005 it was republished in the Ohio based "legends of diving"
(Legends of Diving might be a good source of information for some of you dive historians )

July 7, 2005
Legends Series

Dr. Sam Miller has seen the history of diving by living it. Author and SCUBA expert, he presents some of his thoughts and experiences in this series of articles that are exclusive to patrons of Portage Quarry.

Biography of Dr. Sam Miller

What's In a Name
by Dr. Sam Miller
© 2006 Dr. Sam Miller
All Rights Reserved.

It all began about 75 years ago.

In 1938 the noted American author Guy Gilpatric wrote a book “The Compleat Goggler,” (Dodd-Mead Co, 1938). For lack of a better descriptive name all who donned a pair of goggles to peak under water were referred to as “Gogglers.”

In the 1930s and 1940s a young Austrian, Hans Hass explored the Caribbean and the Red Sea underwater using early re-breathers. For lack of a more colorful name he called his activity “Swim Diving,” and the participants “Swim divers.” (Dr. Hass’s first US book was Diving to Adventure, Doubleday 1951).

In 1943, a French Canadian, Emile Gagnan and a French Naval Officer, Jacques Cousteau joined a regulator designed for automotive use with a high pressure cylinder to create a compressed air underwater breathing apparatus. Once again for lack of a better name the activity was called “Cousteau diving” (First of the men fish, James Dugan, 1948--Jacques Cousteau’s first US book was The Silent World, Harper and Rowe, 1953 ).

In the late 1940s and early 1950s when the first Scuba units arrived in the US they were identified by their name plates as “Aqua lungs” and the activity was “Aqua Lung diving.” Soon this activity was soon shortened to “Lung Diving.”

On 16 October, 1956 the US Navy issued NAVSHIPS 250-538. This was the first USN document addressing the use of the “Aqua Lung.” In order to describe the diving activity the USN dusted off a 1943 acronym which had been used to describe a WW 11 submarine escape device-That acronym was “SCUBA,” AKA “Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus.”

Almost immediately Richard “Dick” Klein, the founder and president of a now defunct diving manufacturing company called Healthways recognized the value of the term SCUBA so he placed a copy write on the acronym.” Soon all Healthways products had the term “SCUBA” somewhere in their product name.

By the early 1960s Dick was ill and Healthways had fallen on hard times. In 1962 Healthways had attempted to establish a new professional line which never got off the ground. In 1963 Healthways went into bankruptcy.

Two Californians, Dick Bonin and Gus de la Valle, purchased the assets and the name of Healthway’s professional line for $1.00 and “due consideration.” That professional line was and still is known as “Scuba Pro.” (a picture of the very rare 1962 Healthways/Scuba pro catalog may be viewed at Tauchen, SeaStar - das etwas andere Tauchsportcenter by pressing the “Nostalgia” button).

In the early 1970s Don Breslow resurrected his relative, Dick Klein’s dream of a professional Scuba line by establishing a company called “Scuba Master.” Great products, good marketing, experienced staff, all the components were in place for success, but the company closed it’s doors after several years.

Now only Scuba Pro remains

From “Gogglers” to “Swim divers” to “Cousteau divers,” to “Aqua Lung divers” to “Lung divers” to the present “SCUBA divers.” Recreational diving has certainly come a long way in a short time

The rest is history……
(and the rest of the story is in my forthcoming book)

Dr. Samuel Miller

© 2006 Dr. Sam Miller
All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 2015 by Dr. Samuel Miller, 111 & Dr. Samuel Miller IV, may not be reproduced or used for commercial use with out the expressed permission of the authors
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skin Diver Magazine (1951-2002) covered both breath-hold and scuba diving....it was all skin diving, as distinguished from suit diving, meaning hardhat, lead boots, umbilical, etc.

For a long time "skin diving" was the overall term and encompassed "snorkel and scuba diving."

Any attempt to convert SKIN to an acronym deserves to be published in Snopes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hombre,
You are correct.
Initially we used goggles and we were called "gogglers"
A few Alma mask arrived before WWW 11, but it wasn't until September 1942 that the first US patent was issued to Hal Messenger # Des 133,718. which was distributed by the California company Sea Net manufacturing, which closed it's doors in 1954 on the death of its founder Pops Romano.

There was much discussion as to how to distinguish between one who used a "Lung" and one who participated in breath hold snorkeling and/or Spear fishing.

As I recall in my dusty early predawn morning California mind, I recall that is was the great Yugoslav diver Vane Ivanovic, the author of a number of early diving books who coined the name "Skin Diver."

In December 1951 two ex GI transplanted Californians, Chuck Blakeslee and Jim Auxier, published the world's first dive magazine, titled "Skin Diver Magazine; A magazine for Skin divers and Spearfishermen" (In 1950 their club, the "Compton Dolphins" won the worlds first spearfishing meet )

The name "Skin Diver" was established as a popular description for any one who did not Spearfish, the primary activity of the genesis of the sport , but morphed into one who did spearfish and/or snorkel with the advent and popularity of the bubble blowing public who dusted off Dr. Lamberson's descriptive 1943 name for his LARU "lung" which was Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus

To add additional confusion diving is now divided into Snorkelers, Spearfishermen, freedivers, and the multitude of SCUBA divers.

~All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 2015 by Dr. Samuel Miller, 111 & Dr. Samuel Miller IV, may not be reproduced or used for commercial use with out the expressed permission of the author

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So inform you fuzzy faced late model tube sucking bubble blower hero "instructor " That Skin Diver is not an acronym .

Amazing what happens when my 13 pound super dog Max wakes me from a sound sleep protecting our home from a Coyote by baking at the window. And Now it is RAINING ! It has been so long in Cencal since we have had rain I am terrified if I go out side I might shrink...

Cheers from California, where it all began...

SDM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home made Sturgil mask article from column The way it was which appeared in the now defunct national magazine "Discover Diving"

~'The Mask,

One of the great pioneer divers of all times was the late Charlie Sturgil. "The Old Walrus," as he was affectionately known, started his diving career in 1929 in the frigid waters off Northern California where he hunted for abalone by a method he described as "feeling for abalone." He would dive on a reef, feel until he found an abalone and pry it off, without the use of mask, fins, snorkel or thermal protection.

Charlie began diving with a mask using a Japanese mask in the late 1930s which was loaned to him by his good friend Bill O'Conner. A few years later after the end of WW 11, Charlie, a master tool and die maker and an inventor of sorts, developed the necessary tooling to produce masks on a semi-custom basis for himself and a few close friends. I consider myself very fortunate to have been included in the latter category.

In early years during the genesis of recreational diving the masks were either too large, too small, too stiff or after a few dives, would rapidly deteriorate into a gummy, sticky mess. This did not make for comfortable diving! After using a number of the masks of that era,the Japanese imports, and the American made Sea Net, I decided it was time to contact Charlie to ask him if he could make one of his custom masks for me.

After checking my meager finances, found I could possibly afford one of Charlie's masks, so I gave him a call. "Sure, Sammy, I'd be happy to make a mask for you, come on over", Charlie replied to my request. Within moments I was off to the temple of Southern California diving, Charlie Sturgil's garage.

I was met by this jovial hunk of a man with his infectious, ever-present smile. "Hey ya, Sammy" was always his cordial greeting. Alter a few moments of catching up on the diving scene it, was time to get to work. "Sammy, I'm now making two masks; the original for $6.00 and a new oval model for $8.00", Charlie explained. After considerable soul searching and penny counting, I opted for what I felt I could afford, the original round mask for $6.00.

Now, Charlie's garage was something to behold. It appeared to be in total disarray, and the best way to describe it would be the day after a big sale in a bargain basement. Diving equipment in various stages of repairs, pieces of metal, lengths of stainless rods scattered about... Omnipresent was the huge metal turret lathe and miscellaneous metal working machines. But to Charlie, it was his arena, it was where he excelled in turning these seemingly scrap pieces of metal into custom spear points, spear shafts, yes, even masks.

Charlie knew the location, size, shape and type of everything in his garage. His storage system was logical and certainly workable, but it still defies the imagination how he managed to find anything, let alone make anything, but he did.

Charlie went to work with the speed and skill of a emergency room surgeon. He immediately uncovered a length of 5 inch O.D. soft rubber World War 11, surplus firehose, from which he cut a 4 inch piece. He placed the piece of rubber hose in the wooden mold and proceeded to his trusty bench grinder where he slowly cut a 1/8 inch wide, 3/32 deep groove all around the edge for the glass. This was followed by the rough contouring for the forehead, cheeks, and upper lip. He then went to his metal rack and withdrew a piece of 3/4 x 16 inch 22 gauge stainless steel, which he placed in his specially constructed mold and carefully, yet skillfully, forced the stainless steel around the mold forming it into a familiar round mask shape. His next step was to form the band evenly and smoothly around the mold creating the lip for the compression hand with light rapid laps of a hammer. Using silver solder, the welding process of the era, he soldered the tabs for the strap and the compression screw tabs to complete the band. A piece of pre-cut 1/3 inch glass, the same kind used for window glass, was taken from the shelf and fit into the groove; the compression band placed around the mask and the compression screw tightened.

At last, the mask was assembled. My own custom Sturgil mask! Charlie proceeded to take some cursory measurements of my then youthful face, and returned to the grinding wheel, skillfully grinding a little here, a little there, another trial fit, a little more grinding. Finally, a perfect fit. A final hand finish with fine sandpaper, attaching of the strap, cut from a truck inner tube, and I was the proud possessor of a real genuine Charlie Sturgil Original Style Diving Mask.

This occurred many years ago when diving as well as life was much simpler, a time when pride in workmanship and ownership were at a premium. Charlie made almost 40 of these one of a kind custom dive masks, however only three are known to have survived the rigors of our disposable society, mine, Alex Pierce's of Toronto, Canada and Charlie's widow's Laura's mask which now on loan and rests in a Southern California museum. And indeed they are museum pieces... the three remaining masks are all almost sixty years old and represent an era which was experienced by only a precious few which will never be experienced again upon this earth.

Charlie has reverend position in the fraternity of diving pioneers; he won the world's second Spearfishing contest in 1950 with a pole spear, was a LA County Underwater Instructor and serendipity developed much of the spearfishing and SCUBA equipment which has become mainstream in todays diving.

I will never forget Charlie, nor will anyone who ever knew him.... nor will there ever be another mask like a Sturgil Mask.

Dr Samuel Miller,111

(Copyright Dr. Samuel Miller,111 & Lee/CCnews/TPR; may not be used with out permission of author and Lee/CCnews)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post script;

Charlie passed on November 15 1984, 31 years ago- long before many of you were born or were engaged in this noble activity. His devoted wife Laura passed on a few years ago at the age of 90. If Charlie knew you and liked you he always addressed you in the familiar; Ie Sammy, Bobbie, Jimmie,--Those he didn't have great admiration or didn't know well it was formal Sam, Bob or Jim. A little about Charlie Sturgil...

Charlie along with team mates the late Bud Abernathy and Freddie Kittles of the SoCal Skin Divers team won the 1951 International Spearfishing meet. Bud and Freddie used a Sturgil modified Champion Arabletes with Sturgil points. Charlie used his trusty legendary pole spear. Charlie Sturgil was the only person in the history of spearfishing competition to win an international meet with a pole spear.

The Fathomiers spearfishing club has been presenting the "Charlie Sturgil Pole Spear Spearfishing meet" for about 30 years...It came full circle when Charlie's grand daughter, Laura Lee Gonta won the meet several years ago using one of grandfather Charlie's legendary pole spears.

Charlie passed on November 15 1984, long before many of you were born or were engaged in this noble activity. His devoted wife Laura passed on a few years ago at the age of 90. If Charlie knew you and liked you he always addressed you in the familar; Ie Sammy, Bobbie, Jimmie,--Those he didn't have great admiration or didn't know well it was formal Sam, Bob or Jim.

The name Sturgil and Charlie's reputation is alive and well with the establishment of Sturgil Underwater products located in the south bay area and still manufacturing the no nonsense very functionable and extremely rugged equipment that Charlie was known for over 50 years

His daughter Laura Lee was married to Billy Meistral, one of the twin brothers who founded "Dive n Surf" and the very successful "Body glove." Billy also passed on several years ago. Brother Bobbie was honored at the "Legends of diving" along with the first female instructor in the US Dottie Frazier, who is 92 and doing very well.
So now you know...

Last edited:
I have contacted and received replies from historians at the Naval History and Heritage Command and the director of the Naval Undersea Museum. After checking on this they can find nothing to confirm that SKIN diving has any relation to Swim Kit is Need or any other Navy acronym.

Doctor Pollock has now graciously retracted the erroneous statement. See the Letters column of Alert Diver (Winter 2016).

Even if it were "Swim Kit is Needed", that in my opinion would leave out the U.S. military as the source.

We (unlike Brits) don't say "kit", it's "gear". Still true in diving. We get "geared up"-- they, "kitted up"....

Dr. Pollack's comment :

"Snorkel Trivia
Many people know that the term "skin" diving refers to snorkel gear, but few know its origins. When military personnel were required to bring mask, snorkel and fins to water sessions, the acronym SKIN was posted on the roster to stand for "swim kit is needed."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NONSCENSE !!!!

Doesn't any one have slightest knowledge of the short history of recreational diving ?

One thing is sure and that is for darn sure this Dr. Pollack is the worlds greatest of all dive historians he can recall events that never happened in great detail .

I am to say the least appalled that this appeared in print.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a super hero PADI instructor last summer while I was on a 3 months cross county trip. "There was no diving until PADI was created.....Now that is SUPER NONSCENSE !!!!

SDM

From my vague recollection of my older brother diving in the '60s, I recall scuba divers back then were referred to as skin divers. My memory may be off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom