Combining Palau with...Yap? Truk? ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just got back from a week in Palau on the Tropic Dancer followed by a week on the Odyssey in Chuuk. I have never been to Yap so can not help there but can say the entire experience on the Tropic Dancer was top notch and would recommend them highly. I can not think of a single thing to complain about. In fact on our last dive in the Chandelier caves we had a marriage proposal and when we got back to the ship the crew had Champagne ready to toast the happy couple(see the captains log.)

Also while it sounds like you do not want 2 weeks on a live aboard we absolutely LOVED our 2nd week on the Odyssey and diving the wrecks of Chuuk

I have done a Truk Palau combo twice. I agree with your assessment that if you are going that far, make the most of it!! The travel is brutal!! If you haven't done long haul flying it can be rough and there is a lot of advice on this forum that is good. Neither Truk nor Palau is an add on to the other. Both are awesome and deserve your full attention. If you spend a week at each you will lose another week with logistics of just moving around the region. I (opinions vary of course) would not do Truk as land based. Odyssey or Siren in Truk gives you 5 dives a day on these incredible wrecks!!! I am not made of money so the fact that I did this twice is pretty cool and I wanted every available minute under water.

On Palau I did land based. LONG boat rides every morning and we had weather on our return every night that made it miserable. And I love boat rides!!! But the food is pretty good land based on Palau especially at the Taj!!!! From what I see the Agressor anchors at the beginning of the week and all diving is done by tender. Just shorter boat rides, and a couple bonus dives is the only advantage I see.

As far as order, whilst I respect and agree with the opinion of an earlier poster who stated land based is a better transition back to the world, Palau was a bit of a let down after the excitement of Truk. And with the aggressive nature of the wreck diving a warm up week in Palau will help.

Of course YMMV.

I am doing at trip similar to this next week, I fly to Chuuk for a week on the Odyssey (a live-a-board) then a few days at the Blue Lagoon resort in Chuuk, then on to Palau for another 10 days. Should be fun. Be happy to talk with you about it when I return.

I am doing at trip similar to this next week, I fly to Chuuk for a week on the Odyssey (a live-a-board) then a few days at the Blue Lagoon resort in Chuuk, then on to Palau for another 10 days. Should be fun. Be happy to talk with you about it when I return.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on all of this. I'm in the planning stages of Palau and then Truk in Jan 2017. My wife and I are booked on the Odyssey, but we're still trying to figure out what to do in Palau.

R.

You've probably gone & come back judging by the dates of these posts and the time you said you wanted to travel. But if not I did a week on the Odyssey, then a week on Yap (two resorts) followed by a liveaboard in Palau. It's probably no longer in business - the Big Blue. Best three weeks of my 20+ years of diving. I'm going to try and post the reports but may not do it right.

Attachments

• Yap&Palau.doc
    71 KB · Views: 48
  • Odyssey1.doc
    44.5 KB · Views: 87
It's been a bit and I just noticed this. I loved the trip to Truck and will be going again in 2017. Unfortunately, we never made it to Palau because of Typhoon Maysek, but I'd be happy to discuss Odyssey and Truck with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom