Diver drowns in guided cenote dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think they might have mentioned the shorter time frame if they had contact with him inside of the 30 minute time frame, I certainly would assuming I'd even go on the dive.

Bob

Typically the ways these dives go is a group goes single file right on top of the cavern line. If the guy was in the rear, they might have done the entire dive without ever looking at anybody that isn't attached to the fins in front of them. Speculating here, but the DM probably looked down between her legs once or twice and seeing someone right behind her, she simply continued until something happened that triggered her DM panic response.

Considering OW divers have no concept of proper light handing in the cave, I don't doubt that any of his buddies even noticed the lack of the guys light behind them.

So I've obviously missed something and I'm not going to reread the whole thread. It seems to me that John R has a process (es) for accident analysis and Johnny likes the simplistic "just say no". Somewhere along the thread, the two of them ended up in a measuring contest. One of them is longer and the other one is wider.

Personally, 22+ years ago my instructor managed to impart a healthy respect for hard overheads and to this day, I don't even enter cleaned overheads . I'll also never be fond of swim throughs.

Be that as it may, I'd like to know some answers to the "why's". We know he shouldn't have been in there. We know the dm shouldn't have been either. But heck, WHY did this guy get lost when the others in his group didn't?

J ohnnyC and even netdoc didn't want to go there. Here at the latter portion of this lengthy thread, I'm seeing some analysis coming out despite the initially entrenched positions.

Last edited:
So I've obviously missed something and I'm not going to reread the whole thread. It seems to me that John R has a process (es) for accident analysis and Johnny likes the simplistic "just say no". Somewhere along the thread, the two of them ended up in a measuring contest. One if them is longer and the other one is wider.

Personally, 22+ years ago my instructor managed to impart a healthy respect for hard overheads and to this day, I don't even enter cleaned overheads . I'll also never be fond of swimming throughs.

Be that as it may, I'd like to know some answers to the "why's". We know he shouldn't have been in there. We know the dm shouldn't have been either. But heck, WHY did this guy get lost when the others in his group didn't?

J ohnnyC and even netdoc didn't want to go there. Here at the latter portion of this lengthy thread, I'm seeing some analysis coming out despite the initially intrenched positions.

I'm longer and wider :wink:

There's no point to the accident analysis, because none of the why's matter. Why did the woman decide at that moment that she needed to check her cell phone, missing the light turning and getting t-boned in the intersection? Why did the skydiver who left a suicide note on the dash of his car not pull?

We do accident analysis to learn the causes of accidents and how to prevent them. We do analysis when there are relevant unknowns. The problem with this accident is that we already know the cause, and we already know how to prevent it. We have analyzed the accident, the cause of his death is clear. The way to prevent future deaths is clear. If you want to talk about anything else, open up a thread titled, "Why do people do stupid **** even though they know better?"

People seem to want to know if his breakfast of sincronizadas caused him to feel a little bloated thus destroying his self esteem in front of his spanish lady friends, being unable to come to terms with this he swam into the cave, and waited for the cave shrimp to eat him..... Seriously, what is it that you want to learn? What answer will satisfy you? What great epiphany do you think will come to light out of dissecting irrelevant details? Or is it just morbid curiosity that makes you want to know all about a dude that didn't know what he's doing, going into some place he shouldn't have been, and coming out on the wrong end because of it?

We know why he died, we know how to prevent it. That's what accident analysis is. Why he effed off and got lost is completely irrelevant. Hell, even if the DM took him into the cave, and there was a silt out, he got lost, and she left him, that doesn't change the fact that we know why he died, and how to prevent it. We're not reinventing the wheel here, and the bottom line is that it doesn't matter why he was separated from the group, whether it was by his choice or his chance. If he had taken the responsibility and not put himself in that position in the first place, he wouldn't be dead, and people here with zero credibility in cave accident analysis wouldn't be spouting off nonsense to try and justify to themselves that they're important and gosh darnit people should listen to their opinion, no matter how misguided.

Nope! Sorry not buying it. Your way means no one gets out of bed in the morning. (You're not longer than John R either, men sheesh)

Nope! Sorry not buying it. Your way means no one gets out of bed in the morning. (You're not longer than John R either, men sheesh)

No, no it doesn't. It means you don't do things without the proper equipment and training. If someone told you to jump out of an airplane with no parachute and no training would you do it? Hell, even if you had a parachute but no training would you do it? You don't have to believe it, but plugging your ears and screaming "lalalala" doesn't make it any less true.

Like I said to what's his name, I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. If you have no cave diving training, you should not be in the cave. Period. Full stop. This dude had neither, entered the cave, and paid for it.

What else do you want? Honestly, what else are you looking for in this situation? You want to know "why?" Why what? What relevance does any of that have? What answers will help analyze this accident, thus giving us a better understanding of something we already know how to prevent?

See? You're so entrenched in your position that you can't even see that earlier you were offering some scenarios too. Perhaps it's a matter of thought processes but back to bed to attempt to help you understand what you refuse to try to understand.

Some people go to bed and fall asleep and the next thing you know they wake themselves bashing into furniture or walls. Why? Because they never should have gone to bed in the first place? No. Because analysis finds that they're experiencing a sleep disorder related to Parkinson's disease.

How about a guy found dead in the woods? Heck, he never should have been out there without proper survivalist skills. Why was he there? He'd been camping. Why was he dead? Turns out he'd stepped in the wrong place and fell into the ravine. How do we know the why of that? Analysis

You've got different thought processes. You're a just say no kind of guy. A bit thick as it were. :wink:

No, no it doesn't. It means you don't do things without the proper equipment and training. If someone told you to jump out of an airplane with no parachute and no training would you do it? Hell, even if you had a parachute but no training would you do it? You don't have to believe it, but plugging your ears and screaming "lalalala" doesn't make it any less true.

The poor SOB was just going on a carnival ride. Everyone does it, they say it's safe, and they are DM's and instructors just like the one's that trained me so it has to be safe, How does some "Just Say No" phrase, which has not fixed the drug problem, fix this one?

The businesses are not going to give up their payday, and I doubt if the ever shorter OW classes will be producing divers with better judgement, so I believe a strategy that John R has of treating it as a workplace accident actually has a chance of producing a reasonable solution to the problem.

Give the operators a way to safely run their carnival, since they will run it regardless, to stop these stupid fatalities, and then you can work on changing the entire scuba training industry at your leisure.

Bob

Even though we have a pretty good idea of the root cause of this incident, we still have to ask the questions. .. this is to avoid complacency and to prevent us from just writing off the incident and missing if there was something new to learn. IMO there really wasn't but I still went through the paces to be sure. Don't forget that for some people more recent incidents carry more weight than older ones, they are more impacted that these things can still occur ☺

@chillyinCanada
That double entendre made my night. However, it still doesn't change the fact that none of your scenarios are inherently dangerous in and of themselves, or relevant to cave diving. The simple act of being in the woods without training or equipment is not deadly, however the simple act of cave diving is deadly by its very nature. Imagine the woods being in the middle of winter at -40 in a blizzard. That would be a better correlation, as it requires both training and equipment to survive. If you have neither, if you're outside in the woods at -40 in a blizzard, you will die. While scuba diving might be a stroll in the woods, cave diving is surviving the blizzard because you think snowflakes are pretty.

I'm not a say no kind of guy. I love saying yes, I love investigating things, I love finding answers. However, I am a cave diver, by our very nature we are experts on how not to die while cave diving. That's all cave training is, how not to die. Every exit in training your cave instructor is trying to kill you in any untold number of ways. There are bad cave divers, there are stupid cave divers, but there are no cave divers that don't know how to not die in caves. As such, cave diving accident analysis is generally very easy. It all comes down to not following the rules of cave diving. Often times that is all very apparent, in which case analysis is quick and easy. This is one of those times. Sometimes it's not so apparent, those require much more effort to understand. This is NOT one of those times.

When an open water diver goes into the cave, they are absolutely breaking the cardinal rules of cave diving. What more needs to be analyzed? The why doesn't matter, that part is obvious, they were untrained and unequipped. Why did they lose their buddy? Because they weren't following the rules. Why did they run out of gas? Because they weren't following the rules. Why did they get lost? Because they weren't following the rules. It doesn't matter how many rules they break, and it doesn't matter why they broke the rules. They broke the rules and it got them dead. The fact of the matter is, when an open water diver goes into the cave and dies (non-medically related), analysis is very brief, and quite often even the most cursory analysis is more than adequate. We don't need to bring in CSI.

@Bob DBF
I agree wholeheartedly with almost everything you said, made all of those points myself earlier. The only one I disagree with is John R's ill-conceived attempt at analysis being relevant. We already have the tools, we already have the procedure, we already have the education, we already have the solution. The solution has existed for years. A Blueprint for Survival laid the solution out years ago and the solution has only gotten better since. A cave diver understands this, because he's been drilled with all of that since before he went into the overhead. The thing that's so frustrating is that we cave divers have been saying this FOR YEARS and people still disregard it. We know why these accidents happen, and the only way to prevent them is either through proper training, which takes a boat load of work and time and effort which most divers are unwilling to do, or prevent them by removing access to those unqualified. Since we can't put a grate over every cave, spring, siphon, and sinkhole that someone wants to dive, we're stuck with the reaper signs and the warnings and the recommendations delivered by instructors. No amount of flow charts will fix that. You can show a million powerpoint slides to an open water diver and they are still going to make poor choices.

As for "just say no," what is your solution? We tell children that they are not allowed to drive until they have had proper training. Should we revisit that procedure? We tell people not to fly airplanes until they've had proper training. Should we change that as well? In both scenarios there have been people that have bucked that trend and succeeded. There are also people who have ignored that and perished. The same happens in cave diving. The same happens with any inherently risky activity. I think your drug argument is pretty specious.

What we don't have is a willingness to personally remove ourselves from the situation when it is required. We believe we can abdicate our responsibility to someone else. We've already given the operators a safe way to run their carnival, but despite this they continue to do the opposite. And as long as that happens, people will continue to die. Because unless it results in some form of legislated regulation, the carnival operator will always chase the money. PADI has, by multiple orders of magnitude, greater reach than any certifying agency in the world. In every PADI course they discuss the dangers inherent in diving in the overhead environment. If their reach cannot convince someone that it is their own responsibility to take heed of their training and call foul when someone wants them to do something dangerous, no amount of irrelevant analysis is going to change that.

C'mon @Jack Hammer, who's more complacent, the cave diver that looks at the evidence and makes an accurate assessment without needing to call in the FBI crime lab, or the OW diver who swims into the cave zone? You act like we haven't looked at the evidence, we have, we just know we don't need a whole flow chart to make a well-informed judgement.

This next part isn't directed at you but people in general...
What is all comes down to is if you were a cave diver, you would understand. If you're not a cave diver, you don't know what you don't know, and therefore less likely understand. As cave diver we get frustrated because we understand all of this stuff already. We're more than happy to answer questions and explain, but don't argue with us. Because what you're really saying is "kiss my ass, I don't need to know, I know better than you."

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom