Weights and travel, TSA, priority mail

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently took a trip where I brought my weights, because I had some snorkeling from shore planned, in a wetsuit, and didn't want to try to rent weights for that given our itenerary. Besides, I have the Mako weights and like them better than the standard.

TSA's web site is silent on whether diving weights are permitted in carry on luggage, so I checked them. They made it through OK but TSA opened the bag, which is unsurprising since they're opaque to x-rays.

On the return trip I mailed most of them back in a small priority-mail flat rate box, thinking myself very clever since the $8 of postage is quite a bargain for the 14 pounds of weights that I could fit in the box. The postal clerk put some extra tape on it but perhaps not as much as I would have liked.

The box came apart in the mail, and the postal service put the weights back in and taped it up. Well, all but one weight. I filled out forms, and we'll see if they find it and send it to me. It had my name on it, which might help.

The weights that made it through were banged up pretty badly.

If I try this again, I'll buy a roll of tape and secure the box better before mailing it.

I frequently buy bullets (not the whole cartridge, just the lead projectile) in bulk online. The company from which I buy have tailored their order options to closely match the flat-rate boxes, filling them to the brim. It is funny (but I feel guilty) watching the mailman trying to get the box out of his truck.

I often take along some soft weights and a soft weight belt when traveling and snorkeling at my destination. I usually take 5 lbs of soft weights and have not had an issue in carry-on. They do occasionally have me take them out for examination but no issues taking them in my carry-on.

Jim

Lead, in any form, is definable as a "component of ammunition", which is a prohibited item.

Good luck on that.

Component of ammunition? What? Is he going to throw them at super sonic speed? Really? I've traveled to Mexico, Hawaii, Greece, Australia with lead weights in my carry on. You just take them out of your bag so they see them when you go through security

Well Doc, I've been traveling with 5 lbs of soft weights for 10 years (2-3 times a year) and have never had a problem putting them on carry-on other than them making me take them out to show them (which is why I always put them on top). Others may have other experiences but that has been mine.

Jim

Yea, Doc... I'm curious where that's coming from.... I've never heard of that phrase used in any official capacity for any purpose.

If lead in any form is forbidden, then so are copper and zinc (brass); iron, chromium, and carbon (steel), and a whole plethora of other stuff.

This reminds me of the placard a my office over the bathroom sink. It reads "No Dumping of Chemicals". Well.. what does that mean? Everything is a chemical. What about H2O, potassium, NaCl, CO(NH2)2, and heterocyclic amine 2-amino-1-methyl-5H-imidazol-4-one (all constituents of urine)?

When I fly to Hawaii I check in 25 pd of lead (12 for me, 10 for my wife, and 3 for the dive flag) because renting weights over there is ridiculously expensive. I often find the TSA inspection slips in my bags upon arrival but never had any problems.

Yea, Doc... I'm curious where that's coming from.... I've never heard of that phrase used in any official capacity for any purpose.

From the TSA:

TSA:
Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames and receivers, are prohibited in carry-on baggage

In light of the concurrent thread, Airport Emoloyee Power Trips (link: Airport Employee Power Trips), and after considerable dealings with law enforcement agencies from ATF down to TSA, with my brain being altered by a law school education, it's not a big leap to note how this TSA rule would change with the addition of a simple comma... Which just ain't there....read it with a comma....
"Firearms, ammunition, and firearm parts, including firearm frames and receivers, are prohibited in carry-on baggage"

With the addition of a comma, there would be no issue. Just as an example, remember that most of the interpretation arguments of the 2nd Ammendment focus in a missing (?) comma.

In lawyer-speak, the non-comma actual reg reads like this: ".... ammunition and firearm parts"

This regulation is what TSA pointed to when a spent shell casing on a keychain was confiscated. It did not matter that it was a keepsake from a military funeral. Parts is parts.

Not likely that there would be an issue, I'm just pointing out that the door would be open to a beef. I'm not thinking of solid lead weights, I'm considering "soft weights" that are usually filled with #6 lead birdshot used as a component for shotgun shells, an "ammunition....part".

Put a string on a lead weight and it could be classed as an "impact weapon", also prohibited, much for the same reason as Sea Shells are forbidden as carry on. Duct Tape? Nope, it's a "restraint device", as are cable ties.

No less or more than the carrying of a pony tank, which TSA specifies must be OPEN. (Valve stem removed) Most passengers stuff paper or use masking tape to keep out crud. If you find the wrong inspector, kiss your pony (Or CCR tanks) bye bye. It has happened.

The all-or-nothing mentality is what prohibits you from transporting a single use mini CO2 cylinder for an emergency inflator. If it ain't open, it's prohibited. Yet there's one absolutely identical to it tucked under every seat in the plane on that silly life vest. Rules are rules. Sometimes.

In that many threads here focus on nitpicking of TSA regs by our guardians, it's only a matter of time. We're talking about the carrying on of lead weights, which is arguably equally absurd.

The general consensus on SB and most of the thinking world is that capricious application by TSA of flexible interpretations is quite absurd... Therein lies my point.

Just wait till they figure out your dive lights have Lithium Ion batteries. Off to the races.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom