Wth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two years ago I did a scuba refresher in the pool with a couple who had not been diving for a couple years. When we suited up, I had them do a pre-dive safety check, of course. I told them that when they checked their air, they should look at the gauge while taking 3-4 breaths, and if the needle did not move, it meant their air was turned on. They did that, and the wife confirmed he understanding that if the needle was not moving, it was OK. I worded my response carefully--"It means your air is turned on."

We got into the pool and worked on skills for a while before she suddenly bolted toward the surface in panic. On the surface, I tried to inflate her BCD and discovered her tank was empty. "How much air was in your tank when you checked it," I asked.

"It was down in the red," she said, "but the needle wasn't moving so I figured it was OK."
John,

Last week in my OWSI class, I went to demonstrate this in the pool (on myself of course, showing my students). In order to make the needle move, I had to have someone almost close my valve completely. I want to do the same in open water at depth, but not with my class.

Still going eh.
DM deeds good and bad sounds like a splinter thread!
:)

CamG

I have hate other people touching my gear wet her I'm under water or not and people around here won't touch your gear unless you ask them the exception to the rule is new divers who don't know better but they learn real quick after they touch someone's stuff and get a verbal tongue lashing

I have hate other people touching my gear wet her I'm under water or not and people around here won't touch your gear unless you ask them the exception to the rule is new divers who don't know better but they learn real quick after they touch someone's stuff and get a verbal tongue lashing
Interesting.

I am looking back over my diving career and don't believe I have ever seen one of these tongue lashings. I have seen a lot of people touching other people's gear, particularly DMs, but I haven't see any tongue lashings over it that I can recall. Who is giving out all these tongue lashings--people in general, or just you?

I don't care if the DM checks my valves going into the water--I can handle it, and the DM is just following orders.

Well not so much a tongue lashing more of a really stern don't touch my f'ING gear unless I ask and it doesn't happen often cuz people round here know better
We have a lot of tech divers round here and tech divers are even more protective of their equipment then ow divers

I agree with you, boulderjohn. I have never seen or heard such an animal :). I must admit that my friends also have a better "spelling"............. LOL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom