Best resort / place to stay for a week of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skipmc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

I'm evaluating locations for my next dive trip and I'd love your advice on the Cayman Islands (if I end up going there this May, June, July or August).

I'd like a place that has its own dock, or a dock within easy walking distance while carrying gear. The resort doesn't have to have its own dive center / dive operation on site, but that would definitely be nice, if such a dive operation was highly rated.

If they don't have their own dive op I'd like a place whose dock was serviced by a very good dive operation that will take me to all the best places in the Caymans (not just the dive spots next to the hotel). I'd love for that dive operation to have a semi-spacious dive boat, and to not over-crowd the dive excursions. I'd like for that dive op to run morning, afternoon and night dives, and all-day dives to farther-flung dive spots.

I'd like a resort / hotel with good food (or easy access to good food) and accommodations. I'm looking at the Caymans for diving and diving only, and of course don't mind if the hotel is very nice (price is not a major issue), with great night-life, access to town, etc., but great diving is by far the highest priority, above anything else (except horrible accommodations). I'm rescue diver + almost every other meaningful certification and experience, so I'm looking to dive anything and everything that is not technical or overly risky.

Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you!

I love the Caymans and have lots of suggestions!

First you should decide which Cayman Island that you would like to visit, below is the link to an article I posted on Trip Advisor regarding the differences (for a diver) between the 3 Cayman Islands that you may find of interest.

IMO, the best diving is available off of Little Cayman, followed by Cayman Brac, and then Grand Cayman - but there is excellent diving off of all 3 islands and they each have their unique characteristics and charm.

You can usually find a lot of flight options to get to GC but you will have to book a connecting flight on Cayman Air to get to one of the sister islands (LC or CB) - usually about an extra $100 roundtrip.

On the sister islands of LC and CB we prefer an all-inclusive resort with meals and diving included. That's because there is not a whole lot to do besides eat, sleep, and dive on the sister islands and the supply barge only stops once per week so there may not be much available in the small grocery stores.

On GC we prefer to rent a condo or apartment. There are lots of great restaurants and well-supplied supermarkets. We often cook simple breakfast and lunch meals and go out for dinner because eating out 3 times a day would be very expensive. There's lots of great night life on GC but not much on the sister islands.

On LC, we like to stay at the Little Cayman Beach Resort; you get to dive Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight and they are among the best dive sites in the Caribbean IMO. LCBR is a nice, clean, small, diver-dedicated resort with an excellent onsite, valet, dive operation (Reef Divers). The food is buffet style but very good. They have a small (but very good) SPA and an exercise room. The resort offers some free entertainment activities - Trivia Night is very popular - but the Scientists from the LC Marine Institute always win the free bottle of wine! (Oh well, they will surely enjoy it!)

There are other resorts on LC that also have onsite dive ops like Southern Cross but I have not tried them. We have only visited one off-campus restaurant (The Hungry Iquana) but it was really good. The lionfish tacos and cracked conch were both very tasty!

There's not a lot to do besides dive on LC. You can kayak, hike, bicycle and enjoy the wildlife preserves. I understand that there are some shore dives available from LC but I haven't tried them. Little Cayman is very popular because of the excellent diving, so it can get pricey and it books up fast. Even if you can find hotel accommodations you may have trouble getting flights to and from the island - so don't wait too long to book. There's not much night life on LC!

On CB we like to stay at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort (formerly the Brac Reef Beach Resort) this is a sister property to the LCBR and it has the same, excellent onsite, valet dive operation (Reef Divers). The diving around CB is really great but not the spectacular vistas of LC's Bloody Bay Wall. Again the resort is small and diver-dedicated and super nice. In fact, they have just completed a major renovation and now have a huge freeform infinity pool and a multi-level beach bar. It also has a small but nice Spa and an exercise room. The resort also offers guest activities and you would be amazed at the popularity of Bingo Night (the entire island joins in, guest, staff and locals!) And they have a great outdoor barbecue on Friday nights.

The food at CBBR is buffet style but very good - in fact I think it is better than LCBR. CB is a small, quiet island but there is a little more to do topside than on LC. Hiking, bicycling caving, climbing, nature preserves, and a few local restaurants and taverns. I am told that there is great snorkeling and shore diving off of CB but I haven't tried it. Again, there is not much night life on CB!

There is a nice, easy wreck dive available off of CB - a sunken Russian Frigate - and the resort will also take excursions over to Little Cayman for an extra fee (if the weather permits) and if enough guests are interested in diving BBW. (LCBR does the same thing and will take guests to dive the Russian Frigate off of CB.)

I don't know of any other hotels on CB but if you find a rental property I am told that Scuba Shack is a great dive op. CB is less popular than LC so it is usually a little cheaper and easier to book. You can also take a jet to CB from GC but the only way to get to LC is on small Otter airplanes. The flights are short whatever you book but the "wait to fly" rules do apply.

Grand Cayman is a whole different experience! It is the largest and most popular Cayman island and it has lots of shopping, gourmet restaurants, night life, attractions, and the powdery white sands and turquoise waters of the Seven Mile Beach which is a major draw for lots of tourists. There is very good diving around GC, the North Wall is fantastic and the East End has some great dive sites. The Kittiwake off of West Bay is a sunken US sub-tender and an easy and interesting wreck dive.

Diving isn't the main attraction on GC like it is on LC and CB - but there is still a lot of great diving and dive ops available. Try to avoid going with a dive op that caters to the cruise ship crowd.

Out on the East End the Compass Point Condos have the Ocean Frontiers dive op on site and they are a very popular operation. But you will be far away (at least a 45 minute drive) from the more popular attractions of GC and the diving can sometimes get rough on the East End.

Sunset House is on the South Sound just below 7MB and they offer an onsite dive op, shore diving on the house reef, and snorkeling. They are a hotel and not a condo but I think that they offer a meal plan. Cathy Church's photo studio and store are on-site. We have visited but never stayed there.

North of the 7MB you will find Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman Resort. This is a small, diver-dedicated resort that was recently purchased by the same company that owns LCBR and CBBR and they now have the same dive operation on site (Reef Divers). They offer an all-inclusive, buffet meal plan but they have some cottages with kitchens if you would rather prepare your meals. They only offer a 2-tank morning dive but with unlimited shore diving from the house reef. The shore diving is supposed to be very good but I am told that you can often get "winded out" in that area of the island. We have visited CC but never stayed there.

There are lots of hotels and condos on the 7MB which is in the heart of all the activity and with night spots available within easy walking distance. Many dive shops will pick you up on the beach or in their van and take you to the dock. Or you can drive to the marina and board.

When we visit the Caymans we like to spend 2 weeks and do a 2-island trip. We spend time on GC enjoying the amenities and mostly shore diving and snorkeling. There are some very good shore dives off on GC with onsite dive ops like Turtle Reef that only charges $15 for a tank and weights. Some of the more popular shore dives like Devil's Grotto and Eden Rock have really been beaten up by cruisers and other tourists and I wouldn't bother with them. You should experience Sting Ray City at least one time but get there early before the cruise ship passengers arrive. Sunday morning is usually a good time to visit. Don't bother going to Hell - it's not worth it!

We spend the second week diving on LC or CB so we get to enjoy the best of both worlds. On GC I suggest renting a car. There is a lot to see and do on the island. On LC and CB we usually rent a car for one day just to explore the islands.

But there is one other option that a dedicated diver should consider. The Cayman Aggressor is an excellent liveaboard dive experience. Although you will often be diving sites that are available to land-based operations you will get to do a LOT of dives on the best sites available off of all 3 Cayman islands. It departs from Georgetown Harbor on Grand Cayman. Not much night life on a liveaboard!

We did the Cayman Aggressor trip several years ago and it remains one of our favorite dive experiences - but we were lucky and had great weather and spent most of the trip on the Bloody Bay Wall off LC. But keep in mind that if the weather is bad then the boat won't cross from GC to the sister islands and you will be stuck living on a boat that is diving the sites closest to shore on GC.

The Caymans are expensive (the US dollar is only worth $0.80) but there are ways to somewhat mitigate the costs. On GC we stay at the Turtle Nest Inn apartments in Bodden Town which is away from the pricey and popular 7MB and in the middle of the island, but on the water and with good snorkeling right out front and easy access to the entire island. The rental price includes a car which I think is essential on GC. We do some of our own cooking which helps keep down the expenses. We mostly snorkel and shore dive and relax on GC.

But if you like restaurants, bars, clubs, shopping, and nightlife then West Bay and Seven Mile Beach are the best spots for you.

On LC we stay at the LCBR, on CB we stay at the CBBR and both include accommodations, food, diving, airport transfers, taxes, and hotel service charges. The only thing not covered are the dive shop tips (and the bar bill unless you buy the alcohol-included package.)

The Caymans are a first world country. They have good roads, fine health care facilities, low crime rates, good mosquito abatement programs, and the locals are friendly and speak English. Sometimes you get what you pay for!

Have fun in the Caymans!

The differences (for a diver) between the 3 Cayman islands - Cayman Islands Forum - TripAdvisor

Last edited:
Kathy covered most of it but a few other options:

If you're traveling solo, Sunset House has their special again this year. Specials & Events at Sunset House, Cayman's #1 Hangout for ScubaDivers I'm pretty sure they don't offer a meal plan but do include breakfast in their package deals. Both My Bar and Sea Harvest restaurant are on-site options and downtown Georgetown is walking distance away. After the cruisers leave it's pretty pleasant and there's some nicer restaurants on the waterfront. Plus Burger King and a few other affordable options.

Another East End option slightly further away than Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers is the Reef AI resort - they have a dive operator on-site - it's either Tortuga or White Sands - I can never tell which from their website. Hotels in East End Cayman Islands Wyndham

I don't know but I don't believe the shore diving is very good at either East End option - too shallow.

Most shore dives on Grand Cayman are either in/near Georgetown or farther north on the west side. The hotels on Seven Mile Beach don't have any diving off their property but a few of the nicer ones (Marriottt or Westin) have a Red Sail location - sometimes they pick you up off the beach with a flat bottom boat. Many of the dive operations are based at one of several marinas nearby and all of them pick you up daily with a van as part of the dive package price.

If you want to fall off the dock into good diving though probably the best options are Sunset House or Cobalt Coast.

If there's more of you, Lighthouse Point/Divetech is a condo option also. If you can fill 2-3 bedrooms, Coconut Cay is also, the owner of Stingray Divers owns rentals there and provides dive services. I'm not sure if the boat is there though or nearby. The "Hepp's" dive sites are accessible from a ladder there and Turtle Reef is next door - IMO the best shore dive on Grand Cayman without a long swim out.

If access to nightlife is a factor, that's along Seven Mile Beach or in Georgetown.

For the East End resorts a car is pretty much a requirement. Cobalt Coast or LIghthouse Point also unless you want to eat al meals there. For an occasional excursion there is bus service all over the island.

You can find a dive operator here: Cayman Islands Tourism Association - Cayman Islands Vacation, Grand Cayman Tours - many are 6-8 divers max and they really do that. Almost all price similarly so the differentiation is where they originate which drives where they go and service. Anyone originating in the North Sound marinas has access to the best of the North Wall dive sites - my buddy has dove all over the island and thinks the East End is the best.

Wow, KathyV and diversteve have synthesized the entire Cayman experience in the last 2 posts.
If diving is your only priority, Little Cayman wins hands down IMO. Little Cayman Beach Resort and Southern Cross are both outstanding dive resorts. LCBR is a bit less expensive but Southern Cross has all ocean view accommodation and even better food. Both run great dive operations. They moor at the best sites on the island, not the closest. In fact, I've never had that sort of experience with any operator on any of the Cayman Islands. Diving is a very competitive business in the Cayman Islands and any operator who does not keep their clients happy, won't survive very long. There is no easy access shore diving on LC, but both of these operators run 3 tank days plus 1-2 night dives per week.

There are bikes, paddle boards and kayaks available at both resorts.

Pirates Point on LC has a good reputation as well, but I can't comment as no personal experience.

KathyV, diversteve and Doctorfish: thank you very much!! This is fantastic information!

Kathy, you are amazing!! LC sounds perfect, and your insight and advice is most generous and appreciated!! Your article on TripAdvisor is wonderful as well! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

One last question, if you'd be so kind. If I end up having the choice, would you recommend late May or early August? I plan to dive seven straight days, if possible.

Thank you so much again!!

While the threat of a hurricane in late summer/early fall could certainly be problematic we were there this past year the 2nd week of August. Fortunate for us we were able to dive the north wall all 6 days as that time of year brings the trade winds from the south. I'm not sure if diving the north wall is that consistent yet in May.

Skipmc, you're welcome!

We have usually gone to the Caymans in the late fall to celebrate our anniversary. The water will be warmer in August - but it will still be nice in May - and the risks of bad weather increase between June and November because of hurricane season.

But the reason you go to LC is to dive the Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight. If you aren't able to dive the wall because of weather as shrkdive has suggested, then there are other dive site options but there are not nearly as good IMO. I don't know enough about the weather in May to give an opinion. When the weather is uncooperative, you probably have better dive options around CB - at least that has been my experience. And if the weather is really bad then it is best to be on Grand Cayman because there are a lot more things to do and enjoy if you can't dive.

It would be disappointing to go all the way to LC and not dive the wall. But weather is always a somewhat unpredictable factor no matter what time of year you travel and no matter where you go.

I will let others that have been to LC during May and August share their experiences to help you decide, but keep in mind that LC books up fast, so you may not be able to find a spot in May (or August!)

Last March I booked LCBR for early November and I was able to get a room but couldn't get a flight back from LC to GC so we stayed an extra day (not a hardship!) and came back on Sunday. But then the resort had problems finding a room for us for 8 nights and it appeared that we would have to move to another room during mid-week. But then they got a cancellation and we were able to book the same room for the entire time. I'm just telling you all this to let you know that you may not be able to book your first choice - whatever you decide.

Today we are going to a big scuba expo that comes to town once a year and I will try and gather some info about the best times to visit Little Cayman including May versus August.

Last edited:
At the Scuba show today I spoke with a representative from the LCBR, CBBR, and CCGCBR resorts. I asked her about the best time to visit LC to dive BBW and she said that summer is the best - you get warm water and great vis and lower prices.

I asked about May and she said that May was her favorite time to visit the Caymans but occasionally the winds make it impossible to dive BBW. It only happened to her one time but it does happen.

She said that Jan and Feb are great because the turtles are breeding - but the water is colder.

She suggested picking the month that is best for you and buying trip insurance because there is always the risk of bad weather no matter when you travel.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom