Muck/macro/critter-diving for non-photographers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Google Plexiglas Brussels for a supplier. Measure thickness of your glass lens and get the same thickness of Plexiglas (6~7mm)
I don't have a profile picture of the magnifier but just make your cover pieces 6~7mm larger radius than the lens. The spacer ring is not cut from a tube but from the same flat piece of Plexiglas ~ the outside diameter the same as the cover pieces but cut it with a tab sticking out large enough to 'drill' a hole for the bolt snap. Use a hot piece of metal to 'drill' the hole or you risk cracking the plastic. Cut out a circle from the center of this spacer piece the same size as the glass lens using a fine blade scroll saw or coping saw.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this, too. Too bad you don't have a cross-sectional view of the assembly. Are you saying the glass lens is retained within the ring by friction? And to maintain an air gap and avoid the glass lens contacting the cover pieces, the ring needs to be made of a sheet thicker than the lens?

Thanks Uncle Pug. What type of magnifier did you take? Size and dipotry please.

The glass lens is retained because it is contained. It doesn't matter if the lens touches the face pieces in the middle. Under pressure that would probably happen anyway.

Okay, thanks. I was thinking that there needed to be an air gap at every point on the lens, including the thickest part. Now that I think more about it, there's no refraction at that point.

Just get an inexpensive manifying glass and remove the handle. This doesn't need to be a precision instrument.
Far more important will be your buoyancy control and 'any position' stability.. both of which will be challenged and improved by using a magnifier. :)
When helping people with buoyancy control issues I use to hand them my magnifier and point out something to examine. Most of the time they were unaware that I was helping them with their buoyancy control :rolleyes:

Thanks Uncle Pug. I will try your method and buid one. Just two questions: what is the magnifying power of your magnifying glass and what is the dimension - diameter - of the magnifying glass? Thank you.

@Freewillow, I recently bought a "Duikloep" and am very pleased with how well it works: Underwater magnifying glass

At 85 euro, it's a more expensive solution than constructing one yourself. But my thinking is that I could very well spend half that much on materials, then spend half a day assembling it (and re-doing it after I screw it up the first time), and not end up with something as high quality. This guy has obviously put a lot of thought into it, and it seems very well constructed.

Interesting object. I will contact the guy. Does it come with a protection so that you do not damage it while diving. How large is the magnification underwater and what is the field depth when you are looking at a creature? Thanks

I'm planning a trip to Lembeh, and wanted to learn more about how non-photographers go about getting the most out of muck dives. How do you see the macro details of teeny creatures like nudibranchs and pygmy seahorses? Do you carry a magnifying glass? (If so, what specs are best?) Are there any other tools I should be aware of that will enable me to see the tiny details in the moment?

I adore macro photos, but don't foresee myself picking up underwater photography anytime soon. Instead, I focus my full attention on being one with the ocean, pretending to be a fish, and hanging out with whatever creatures are around me without a camera between us. I know this is really cheesy, but I mean it! I'm just so in love with diving I can't bear to put a camera between me and subjects just yet. (Perhaps after 1,000 dives...)

I have nearly 100 dives now but have never seen any divers with a magnifying glass. Is that a thing at all?

Thanks in advance! Help a macro newbie out please <3
Hi SharksAreFriends and Freewillow,

I don't know where you are located, but it sounds like going to Lembeh, Indonesia will be quite a nice sight-seeing underwater trip (looking at their website). I think I have just what you need. Take a look at this video to see the SeawiscopeEY.
I have met the inventor of the SeawiscopeEY, and have been using this device on my mask for about six years. I use it in place of the lenses that corrected my vision, as I needed close-vision. But I found that using corrected vision lenses in the mask caused me problems seeing the ground went I got out of the water. That was my initial thought in picking up this new device.

But what I've found is that the SeawiscopeEY is ideal for watching tiny creatures close-up. It also gives you binocular vision, so you not only see close up, but in three dimensions. Here's some observations:
  • I have watched a hydra on a leaf, fishing with its tentacles in the water. The hydra was about a long as my thumbnail, and yet I watched it for about five minutes catching stuff out of the Clackamas River water.
  • The sculpins I showed in the video above are best watched close-up too. You can witness them eating small insect larva, or sampling detritis from the water. Or, fighting each other.
  • I happened upon three lamprey eels a few years back, a female and two males. The one male chased the other away, while the female hung onto a large rock. The more aggressive male then came back and mated with the female, while I was watching with the SeawiscopeEY. He intertwined his body around the female, holding onto her head as he did so. I watched the eggs being broadcast into the water by the female, and the male fertilizing them with squirts of sperm into the water. Then I was flabbergasted when both the male and the female, released and began moving rocks over the area that she had broadcast the eggs, to shelter them from small fish that were in the area. All this I saw very close up, and the lampreys simply ignored me hovering over them, as they were more interested in what they were doing than in me.
The man who invented this device, CY Tang, has his doctorate in optometry, and taught in a Hong Kong school for optometry (I think he was the department head). He saw the need for people to both see close-up (especially us older divers), and to see small creatures. He dives in the tropical areas around Hong Kong, and in the Philippians. The SeawiscopeEY is corrected for use in water, and is finely ground glass for the eyepieces. CY is now retired, and wants others to know about his invention, as do I from my experiences using the SeawiscopeEY.

Seawiscope: Scuba divers' near vision aids and other small items
Click on the upper right price information link (just under the furthest right dolphin) for price information.

SeaRat

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom