Using two backplates for weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crunchiespg

Contributor
Reaction score
with my cold water Hollis backplate system and steel tanks I use 14lbs of lead with the quick dump Hollis weight pockets.
In warmer water with aluminium tanks I don't really need much weight at all. I've only used it in the pool but can get away with no weight in a shorty wetsuit.
So for cold water I'm looking to get rid of the quick dump pouches and simplify the system a little which will be useful for travel too. I'll give a weight belt a try but I was thinking of throwing a second steel backplate on and then I'd only need about 8lbs on a belt.
Anyone tried this? Or any other cunning ways of adding a little weight to the backplate system so I only need a small amount on a belt.
Thanks!

I like the rubber weight belt I've been using. Stays where it's put, secure, quick release when needed.

The DSS backplates have bolt-on weights available.

I'm not familiar with the Hollis backplate. You may be able to add a V weight, or a weighted single tank adapter.

weighted sta or tank weights are another option.
I'd rather not do the sta as it puts the tank further away from my body. And I found putting weights on the cam straps made my trim not so good. So I want to keep weight close to my centre mass.
I was thinking of a second plate as it would be quick and easy to switch back to a single plate for warm water diving. And use the two plates for when in cold with my dry suit.
The bolt on weight plates would be great. But I don't know if they will fit my Hollis plate.

with my cold water Hollis backplate system and steel tanks I use 14lbs of lead with the quick dump Hollis weight pockets.
In warmer water with aluminium tanks I don't really need much weight at all. I've only used it in the pool but can get away with no weight in a shorty wetsuit.
So for cold water I'm looking to get rid of the quick dump pouches and simplify the system a little which will be useful for travel too. I'll give a weight belt a try but I was thinking of throwing a second steel backplate on and then I'd only need about 8lbs on a belt.
Anyone tried this? Or any other cunning ways of adding a little weight to the backplate system so I only need a small amount on a belt.
Thanks!

People have been "stacking" backplates for a long time. Thicker (1/4") plates have also been tried. DSS offer bolt on weights that add 8.1 lbs (for medium and large plates)

I would recommend that before you start adding ballast to your rig that you determine if you are now correctly weighted. My definition of minimum ballast is being able to hold a shallow stop with a near empty cylinder. Buoyant compressible suits can lose a lot of buoyancy from the surface (1ATA) to 15 ft (~1.5 ATA)

Also keep in mind that when a diver moves ballast from their person (weight belt or weight harness) to their rig they have not changed their total weighting at all, but they have increased how much their wing has to float if they ditch their rig.

Hanging most or all of your ballast on your rig vs having at least a portion on your person can increase the required capacity of your wing.

In cold water I prefer divers to carry on their person ballast roughly equal to the weight of their gas. For most singles that will be 6-10 lbs. That allows the use of the smallest wings.

Tobin

People have been "stacking" backplates for a long time. Thicker (1/4") plates have also been tried. DSS offer bolt on weights that add 8.1 lbs (for medium and large plates)

I would recommend that before you start adding ballast to your rig that you determine if you are now correctly weighted. My definition of minimum ballast is being able to hold a shallow stop with a near empty cylinder. Buoyant compressible suits can lose a lot of buoyancy from the surface (1ATA) to 15 ft (~1.5 ATA)

Also keep in mind that when a diver moves ballast from their person (weight belt or weight harness) to their rig they have not changed their total weighting at all, but they have increased how much their wing has to float if they ditch their rig.

Hanging most or all of your ballast on your rig vs having at least a portion on your person can increase the required capacity of your wing.

In cold water I prefer divers to carry on their person ballast roughly equal to the weight of their gas. For most singles that will be 6-10 lbs. That allows the use of the smallest wings.

Tobin
My weighting is perfect. Even 1lb less I can't hold a stop with my tanks at 600psi. I've done a lot of fine tuning to the weight.

Right now all my weight is on the rig. I use the Hollis integrated weight pouches. So my rig will only be getting lighter as I move some weight onto a weight belt.

Basically what I want is to get rid of the integrated weight pouches. I'm going to test them but I bet they require about 1lb to sink. So then I'll probably be down to needing 13lbs of weight (plus my backplate)
So I could just put all 13 on a belt. But for comfort I'd like say 6 to 8 on a belt and the rest on my rig.
My wing is 38lbs. Which I don't plan to change smaller as diving dry most of the time it works well, and even if a bit extra lift I don't mind as I work with students a lot. And as my weighting is good I run it empty anyway so it basically disappears.

Will the dss plates fit a Hollis backplate?

Nope

What do you do if you have to ditch your rig? Sounds like you would be very bouyant.

What do you do if you have to ditch your rig? Sounds like you would be very bouyant.
The same as anyone else diving dry using a weight integrated bcd I guess. Keep hold of the bcd.
Everyone I ever dive with pretty much uses a weight integrated bcd of some sort. So when we are diving dry that problem would be equal for everyone.

But with me wishing to change to a weight belt I will actually be improving that situation a little as some weight will be on my body even if I remove my bcd.

Re-reading your post, I agree, you are making it better. I think I am at 14-16 lbs to be neutral with a drysuit. I wouldn't want to go much below that on a weight belt.

Back
Top Bottom