SSB-2010 VOX issue and undocumented questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saridnour

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello there. I bought an SSB-2010 and am using it on a AGA MK2. The 2010 was bough used (near new) and seems to be working fine (have not dove it yet) with one exception. The VOX does not seem to work. I have checked the setting and verified in the menu (three press) that VOX is on high. I can press the PTT and hear myself (side) but when I speak in VOX (ahh or 4 or whatever) it remains in receive mode as I hear background noise. I have also stripped the Mic from the unit and taps to it do not trigger it also. I do have the mic in Kissing range as well when installed. I also tried turning up the VOX sensitivity control to no avail. I did notice on the sensitivity control that it would turn past two turns though without resistance unlike the manual states. Is this normal? It seems to continue to allow it to turn, but I have not turned it more than three turns clockwise.
The mask Mic unit was purchased separately but am I correct in assuming that if the Mic is working in PTT then that would not be the issue (I have no other units to test with as my other is a buddyphone). I have not dove the 2010 but assume mic is working if I get side audio.

Quick question recap:
1- What would cause VOX to not work as indicated above?
2- Since Mic works in PTT should VOX also work (aka should I look at the mic vs the 2010 for a VOX issue)?
3- should the "master adjustment controls"/"two turn controls" be able to turn more than two rotations?

As to other questions that I could not find answers to:
4- Can I test with another off shelf MIC externally on the bench (if Mic coud be issue)? Ohm or other rating I need use to test if needed? Guess could use buddyphone Mic.
5- The Voice menu allows selection of all 8 channels. I assume that selecting the last 4 render the unit unusable?
6- What would it cost to get this serviced if the 2010 has an issue internally with VOX?
7- On the battery bulkhead, are other bulkheads available? Just seems that a short box with an E/O battery port would be ideal.

Sorry for all the questions just hope to find some answers as I am excited to get my comms going after putting in so much.

Thanks in advance,
Andy Ridnour
Seattle Area.

Few quick notes since I couldn't leave it alone. I got it up on the bench and verified a few more details. VOX still does not work.

1- I swapped Mic's from rhe masks. Buddyphone for 2010, with same effect. No VOX using high or low.
2- with Mics and PTT buttons out, I was able to test that they both TX/RX when PTT button is pressed in either VOX or PTT modes.
3- When set to VOX, the 2010 would delay tx (when PTT was pressed) by 1.5 seconds so I know it is in VOX mode. It does not do so in PTT mode as expected.
4- The "master adjustment controls"/"two turn controls" for squelch would stop at 2 turns. The VOX one would freely rotate (bad POT?).
5- The VOX master adjustment control pot is not located in the same location as the manual shows. It is located near where the Please Note label is between the "vox and" is written. Not sure if this means anything, just wanted to note it in case there are differing versions.

Thanks again,
Andy Ridnour
Seattle Area.

Last edited:
One more question?? What direction of the Mic should face your mouth? The side with four cut outs with front written on it or the one with a pattern (I think looks like a guy with arms up).The four cut out side seems to be louder when I TX but thr documentation shows the "guy" pattern facing your mouth. Seems odd the quieter side would face mouth but could be louder under water or less distortion etc. Just wanting to confirm. One mask was one way, the other the opposite.

Thanks again,
Andy Ridnour
Seattle Area.

Hello Andy,

Please give me a call so we can attempt to troubleshoot this over the phone. A few things that you've mentioned could indicate that the unit is having issues.

-- Andy Nelson
Training and Sales
anelson@otscomm.com
(714)754-7848

Hello there. I bought an SSB-2010 and am using it on a AGA MK2. The 2010 was bough used (near new) and seems to be working fine (have not dove it yet) with one exception. The VOX does not seem to work. I have checked the setting and verified in the menu (three press) that VOX is on high. I can press the PTT and hear myself (side) but when I speak in VOX (ahh or 4 or whatever) it remains in receive mode as I hear background noise. I have also stripped the Mic from the unit and taps to it do not trigger it also. I do have the mic in Kissing range as well when installed. I also tried turning up the VOX sensitivity control to no avail. I did notice on the sensitivity control that it would turn past two turns though without resistance unlike the manual states. Is this normal? It seems to continue to allow it to turn, but I have not turned it more than three turns clockwise.
The mask Mic unit was purchased separately but am I correct in assuming that if the Mic is working in PTT then that would not be the issue (I have no other units to test with as my other is a buddyphone). I have not dove the 2010 but assume mic is working if I get side audio.

Quick question recap:
1- What would cause VOX to not work as indicated above?
2- Since Mic works in PTT should VOX also work (aka should I look at the mic vs the 2010 for a VOX issue)?
3- should the "master adjustment controls"/"two turn controls" be able to turn more than two rotations?

As to other questions that I could not find answers to:
4- Can I test with another off shelf MIC externally on the bench (if Mic coud be issue)? Ohm or other rating I need use to test if needed? Guess could use buddyphone Mic.
5- The Voice menu allows selection of all 8 channels. I assume that selecting the last 4 render the unit unusable?
6- What would it cost to get this serviced if the 2010 has an issue internally with VOX?
7- On the battery bulkhead, are other bulkheads available? Just seems that a short box with an E/O battery port would be ideal.

Sorry for all the questions just hope to find some answers as I am excited to get my comms going after putting in so much.

Thanks in advance,
Andy Ridnour
Seattle Area.

Last edited:
Hi AndyN. Thanks for the Reply. I also spoke to John Hott on the phone today on this. Thanks to both of you for the Quick response!!

As to your question, I set it in VOX mode and confirmed it was using the menu (three button press). I tried speaking to initiate VOX but that did not trigger it to TX. I then pressed the PTT button and it did TX. It seems to stay in VOX mode after hitting the PTT button as the menu still said VOX and it had the 1.5 sec pause after releasing the button.

After speaking with John, we may have narrowed it down to the VOX "two turn controls" pot/dial being broken. He gave me contact info for service and can contact them if I wan to pay to get the VOX repaired.
If you have any other info that could point to something else or something I should try I would love to get VOX working without buying another in repair cost..lol. :)

John also answered a few other questions I asked here. I am posting his replies in the event others find this thread and the information could be of use to them. Answers to questions are post#.question# (Ex: 1.2 - Post 1 question 2).

1.2- Since Mic works in PTT should VOX also work (aka should I look at the mic vs the 2010 for a VOX issue)? -> Yes
1.3- should the "master adjustment controls"/"two turn controls" be able to turn more than two rotations? -> NO
1.4- Mic Ohm or other rating I need use to test if needed? -> Mic should have apx 150 ohm load.
1.6- What would it cost to get this serviced if the 2010 has an issue internally with VOX? -> Contact OTS service X131
1.7- On the battery bulkhead, are other bulkheads available? Just seems that a short box with an E/O battery port would be ideal.-> No other bulkheads. Extra wires are not favorable. My comment for OMS: I still think this would be a good thing for OTS to offer or add an EO port to the current bulkhead if it was wanted. A shorter box (with only an EO port -no batt) would reduce the units size by nearly a third.

2.5- The VOX master adjustment control pot is not located in the same location as the manual shows. -> There are different revs of the hardware. My comment: I did not verify what rev I had.
3.x- What direction of the Mic should face your mouth? -> The "guy" pattern should be facing your mouth, offset to left and just in lip kissable range.

John also added a few things that I thought good to post.
A- Silicon grease should be used on "high use connector" and cleaned out with a pipe cleaner. Keeps the connector in good shape and lubricates/protects the terminals.
B- CLR is good to use as a cleaner on the "High use connector" to get rid of the build up down the road.

Well my VOX is still broken but can contact service for pricing. Hope this info helps others in the future. If anyone has any other info that could point to something else or something I should try I would love to hear it otherwise may just stay with PTT.

Thanks again,
Andy Ridnour
Seattle Area

Last edited:
Hey Andy,

Glad to hear you got it all figured out. Thanks for posting the answers to your questions for others reference!

If you need anything further, please feel free to give me or John a call anytime.

Cheers.

Hi AndyN. Thanks for the Reply. I also spoke to John Hott on the phone today on this. Thanks to both of you for the Quick response!!

As to your question, I set it in VOX mode and confirmed it was using the menu (three button press). I tried speaking to initiate VOX but that did not trigger it to TX. I then pressed the PTT button and it did TX. It seems to stay in VOX mode after hitting the PTT button as the menu still said VOX and it had the 1.5 sec pause after releasing the button.

After speaking with John, we may have narrowed it down to the VOX "two turn controls" pot/dial being broken. He gave me contact info for service and can contact them if I wan to pay to get the VOX repaired.
If you have any other info that could point to something else or something I should try I would love to get VOX working without buying another in repair cost..lol. :)

John also answered a few other questions I asked here. I am posting his replies in the event others find this thread and the information could be of use to them. Answers to questions are post#.question# (Ex: 1.2 - Post 1 question 2).

1.2- Since Mic works in PTT should VOX also work (aka should I look at the mic vs the 2010 for a VOX issue)? -> Yes
1.3- should the "master adjustment controls"/"two turn controls" be able to turn more than two rotations? -> NO
1.4- Mic Ohm or other rating I need use to test if needed? -> Mic should have apx 150 ohm load.
1.6- What would it cost to get this serviced if the 2010 has an issue internally with VOX? -> Contact OTS service X131
7- On the battery bulkhead, are other bulkheads available? Just seems that a short box with an E/O battery port would be ideal.-> No other bulkheads. Extra wires on no favorable. My comment for OMS: I still think this would be a good thing for OTS to offer or add an EO port to the current bulkhead if it was wanted. A shorter box (with only an EO port -no batt) would reduce the units size by nearly a third.

2.5- The VOX master adjustment control pot is not located in the same location as the manual shows. -> There are different revs of the hardware. My comment: I did not verify what rev I had.
3- What direction of the Mic should face your mouth? -> The "guy" pattern should be facing your mouth, offset to left and just in lip kissable range.

John also added a few things that I thought good to post.
1- Silicon grease should be used on "high use connector" and cleaned out with a pipe cleaner. Keeps the connector in good shape and lubricates/protects the terminals.
2- CLR is good to use as a cleaner on the "High use connector" to get rid of the build up down the road.

Well my VOX is still broken but can contact service for pricing. Hope this info helps others in the future. If anyone has any other info that could point to something else or something I should try I would love to hear it otherwise may just stay with PTT.

Thanks again,
Andy Ridnour
Seattle Area

Back
Top Bottom