Liveaboard Travel Insurance Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharksAreFriends

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Which travel insurance company would you recommend for a 12-night $7,000USD liveaboard trip around Raja Ampat? This Undercurrent article does a great job outlining the intricacies of coverage under various plans. Before I fall into the rabbit hole and pore over the fine print on a bunch of policies, would you kind souls who have done the leg work tell me which policy worked for you?

I already have DAN for medical coverage. I'm looking for advice on only the travel insurance portion. Here are things that I definitely want coverage on:
  • Travel agent financial default
  • Liveaboard financial default
  • Delays/cancellations as a result of weather, volcanic activity, or boat/aircraft mechanical failure (The latter two aren't covered under most policies. Were you able to find a policy that did?)
There are a lot of other things I'd like coverage on, but I won't list them here since pretty much all are covered under the most basic of policies, including those offered by credit cards.

For those of you who chose to use your credit card's travel cancellation/interruption benefit as your main source of coverage, which card did you use? Did it work?

I have used Travel Guard (gold) twice now and I am happy to say that I never needed to see just how good it was...! :) Both times were for liveaboards that could NOT be missed. 1st was to the Coco's on a 14 day and the 2nd time was a 16 day biodiversity trip in Indonesia. If the boat was missed there was no was to catch it somewhere along the way.

Both were quite expensive and the biodiversity needed to be booked a year in advanced. I had many concerns besides missing the boat... Would they still be in business, would a war break out, would I lose my job, or even health issues...!

I have the family plan with DAN (middle plan for me and the wife) and I use AMX for most payments but the biodiversity was done by bank transfers and when you send more than 10k, there is concern.

Bottom line; I don't trust insurance companies after being burned twice by home owners but until you really need it, its that fine little print that seems to catch ya...! Next big trip I will be using Travel Guard again and I hope I will be able to say that I still have never needed them!!! Do they provide everything your looking for? Doubt it but it suites my needs and most concerns.

Regards, lee

I have used Travelguard. I was downsized out of my job and did not feel that spending the money on a dive trip at the time was a good use of my money. They paid with no issues.

Try the web site... Insure My Trip. You can compare many plans and decide which one you want. This is where we get all of our insurance for our trips.

Tagging on to this as we have not yet done our research for an upcoming live aboard trip to Indo.

A member on our trip has another coverage consideration and that is a cancellation policy that incorporates an act of terrorism. Maybe they're paranoid but that's what feeds the industry....

Here is a new travel insurance company. You can buy coverage so that if you decide not to go, they will cover.

travelsafe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom