diving jobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the partial pressure of oxygen.

The test is done in a recompression chamber. Your breathing Oxygen from a bib ( mask) for a certain time and if you convulse then your too suseptable to hgh oxygen partial pressures to become a commercial diver. Its all very safe, theres a diver medic in the chamber with you and he monitors you the whole time.

The test is done in the fisrt few days so if someone was to take an oxygen hit then they are given there tuition back in full and they havent wasted there time training only to find out at a later date of there susepability to high partial pressures of oxygen.

dont sweat it, it is a rare occurence, probably alot higher than 1 of 150. The instructors probably just pulling our leg a bit. They liked to exaderate to get he point across sometimes.

Andy

after hrs of surfing i think i have found your answer to Navy / commercial diving. unless your considering the Navy, they have there own schools.

After reading multiple commercial diving web sites from current and retired divers the consesus is not to go to one of the "top 5 schools" .

Reasons:

too expensive bottom line!

Here is what i have found out for you. The top 5 schools are expensive, anywhere from $4k to $15K and they basicaaly have the same training. So most people were picking one of the top 5 that was close to them. Buy the top 5 i refer to the most well known schools:

Santa Barbera City College
College of Oceaneering
Divers Academy of the Eastern Seaboard
Divers Institute of Technology
The Ocean Corporation

It just so happens that theres a school that does all the same training for about 2ooo dollars, yes thats $2000!

heres there cousre outline:

Louisiana Technical College - Young Memorial Campus
646 Clock Hours

DIVE 101 Orientation, Safety, Industry Terminology
DIVE 102 Diving Physics
DIVE 103 Diving Physiology
DIVE 104 Air Decompression
DIVE 105 Diving Medicine
DIVE 106 Chamber Operations
DIVE 107 Seamanship and Rigging
DIVE 108 Logs, Records, and Standards
DIVE 109 Environmental Hazards
DIVE 110 Diving Equipment
DIVE 111 Marine Engines and Compressors
DIVE 112 Topside Welding and Oxy-Acetylenee Cutting
DIVE 113 Underwater Work
DIVE 114 Underwater Cutting and Welding
DIVE 115 Mixed Gas Diving
DIVE 116 Operations Planning
DIVE 117 Industrial and Offshore Safety
DIVE 118 Job Seeking Skills

"The''Big Five'' schools are excellent training facilities, but just can't compete cost wise with a state run institution. Why pay $10,000 - $15,000 more for extras that you'll get on the job training for, while getting paid to boot?" (unknown author)

www.youngmemorial.com

Sorry for the long post but i did your HW for you, but i wanted to!

Andy

read this:

www.naocd.org/schools.htm ( want to be a commercial diver? read this info)

SF2000

I'll take a stab at the biological side of things for you.

For better or for worse, grades will matter as far as getting into university for marine biology.

I would say, one of the most important things to do if you are really serious about underwater biological research (whether freshwater or marine) is to get to know researchers or groups in your area (by your location, it would probably be freshwater, but that is a perfectly acceptable starting point even if you do want to study in the marine environment later on). Try to volunteer to dive or snorkel with them as much as possible. Keep in mind that the researcher may already have his/her own students conducting field work, but if you are persistent and dedicated, they may just give you chance to assist them (or at least learn from them). This may give you some experience in the field and help you decided if it is the type of work you really want. Then, keep up your contact with them because they may be an important future reference source (ie school admissions).

Mind you I'm not overly familiar with Georgia, but I would assume there are probably studies being conducted in area lakes connected with game fish populations, etc. Your Natural Resources Agency probably issues research permits for these studies, so they would be a good place to start, to get some names and locations of studies.

Hope that helps, Let me know if you have any questions.

Bio Guy

For better or worse, grades will matter as far as getting into university for marine biology

However, if you want a garanteed acceptance into a marine biology program, apply to Florida Institute of Technology (ie Florida Tech). They will accept any retard with a trust fund. :laugh:

Hell, they even accepted me.:nuts:

And once you graduate, you can say,"hey, I graduated from FIT! That's only one letter away from MIT!:yea:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom