Joining the 109 Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Sizemore

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just received my eBay purchase of a mk10 and 109 regulators to use as my pony bottle set up. I have disassembled both and cleaned all parts with simple green. I am a bit confused on upgrading it to balanced adjustable. Would some one walk me through that? I have read through some of the other forums about what others have done, its seems that everyone has got their own way to do it.
IMG_4346.jpg IMG_4350.jpg IMG_4352.jpg

You're going to love this 2nd stage, in fact, it's a real shame to relegate it to pony use, especially if you convert it to balanced. But, here's how you do it.

You need:
s-wing poppet assembly, 11250015 (I'm reading part numbers from the G250V schematic)
balance chamber 11150102
spring 01020216

Then you need 2 o-rings, a 902 for the orifice and a 011(I think) for the adjusting knob.

Assembly is very straightforward, just watch out for the lever/poppet compatibility issue which comes up from time to time. There are a few excellent threads about it.

Once all is said and done, Ill compare it to my g500, my current primary, and see what is worth keeping where. I like the idea of having the metal regulator to collect come moisture.
The poppet is one of the things that concerns me. So attached is the poppet that came out. I believe that this is the older style poppet, is that correct?
IMG_4352.jpg

all with a caveat that the lever may or may not work happily....

If you find that you get "click - pause - woosh" on an inhale, the lever needs to be replaced with a G250V lever....

Alright. I just started my order with Vintage Double Hose to get a mk10 service kit, and the 109 upgrade kit with viton orings. And it sounds like I have to rebuild before I know if the lever works properly with everything. Is the lever just random, or were there certain years that did or did not work properly?

random.... I have had some simply work, and others just not behave....

Also waiting on my new book "SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair"

I love the 109, and have serviced and use several of them, both balanced and unbalanced, but have yet to have any of them on a ScubaPro 1st. Is this a faux pas?

Bob

Back
Top Bottom