Internet Connectivity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharksAreFriends

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd love to be able to check email, use google maps, and send SMS/WhatsApp messages on my mobile phone while I'm in Indonesia for an entire month.

Shall I use my existing plan or get a local SIM card?

1. Does the US T-Mobile International Plan (the one with free data roaming/SMS in 140 countries) work well in Indonesia, particularly around Lembeh Straits and/or on Raja Ampat liveaboards?
    This plan has served me well across Europe, including in ski areas in France/Austria. It's also worked fairly well in Bonaire. Speed wasn't super fast, but adequate for basic communication.

2. If the T-Mobile plan doesn't work well, which local Indonesian carrier would you recommend? Ideally, I'd like to be able to tether my laptop to my mobile device as well.
I know I shouldn't be checking email but my work requires that I be somewhat responsive if I leave the country for an entire month. We Americans unfortunately don't have that many holidays and need to be constantly connected. Thanks!

I can't help too much but RA live aboard are often away from any signal reception. You may be in range of a tower for parts of half the days. A few boats (not budget ones!) have satellite internet that allows you 24 hour connectivity if you want. More have satelite phones but they are only useful for emergency calls.

Get a local Simcard.

IndoSat or Telekomsel are the most reliable ones in my experience - especially if you need access in remote places like Raja Ampat. I have an IndoSat sim, and get a good enough signal to deal with day to day internet usage - just don't bother trying to upload big files on it.

Americans aren't the only ones who have to deal with needing to remain in contact with work by the way :wink:

My att go phone account info said it would work in Indo but it didn't work. I'm currently using a Telcomsel sim card in Lembeh and it picks up 4G most the time, its nice to have the data fot when the resorts wifi is slow or drops off. In Raja it will depend where you are for a sms signal.If your phone takes a nano sized Sim card you can cut a larger size one down like I did.

Where are you planning on staying in Indonesia?

If staying around Java, Manado or Bali, mobile connectivity has been getting much better in the last few months. It is much easier in 2016 to acquire a 3g signal even in places away from crowds. Cities have 4.5g access from operators like Telkomsel or XL. We now even had finer optics set up at our Padang Bai dive centre... Still can't believe it!

I would recommend getting a local Sim card rather than relying on a hypothetical service from foreign operators. Telkomsel sells all sizes of Sim cards, from the large, old school ones, right down to the iPhone 5+ nano standard. The latest Sim i bought even had all three standards pre-cut & ready to go!

I modify my AT&T plan and it gets picked up on Telekomsel, so I can't speak to T-Mobile. I would expect to be in range of a tower far less than 50% of the time. It depends on your itinerary. It used be zero. I still carry a sat phone on trips.

If you want to connect with the rest of the world while enjoying the vacations in Indonesia, then you should find some local internet providers that provide the high-speed internet with enough data. Like here, Spectrum Internet provides the internet with unlimited data along with many Free Wi-Fi hotspots. Similarly, Companies in Indonesia like these are IndoHome, FirstMedia, and Biznet. So rather than spending a huge money on cellular data plans, just find a temporary local internet connection.

Back
Top Bottom