How can I be nice and cozy in my drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Invest in a REAL hood, that's your biggest problem. What gloves are you wearing? Also, I have a feeling your socks aren't enough.

Hoods, get the Waterproof 10/5, best hood on the market hands down. This you will instantly notice you are warmer.

Gloves - What are you currently wearing? Yes, drygloves are a lot more comfortable, easier to put on, and warmer with the right liner.

Socks - If you are just wearing the Arctic socks, that's not enough in 43 degree water. They do have thicker versions, so depends what you actually have. Maybe add another pair of fleece socks.

Why do I think those 3 areas are your culprit? Well, you have enough going on in your core. That's definitely not the problem unless you are running REALLY lean on the gas in the suit. Your head is the most important, and that 4mm is your biggest problem. Start there...The others are tweaks after that to truly get you where you want to be.

Remember, your body circulates blood. So, warm blood goes to your hands....and becomes cold blood heading back in with thin wetgloves. You're losing the most out your hood though.

yeah, the hood is issue #1. Screw the titanium, even with it in 43* water you still need 7. I will dive in 55 degree water in a 7mm drysuit hood and a bathing suit before I'll dive it in a 7mm without a hood. Switch that first, then report back

In addition to a real hood, you will most likely need drygloves in this type of water temperature. I'd start with the proper hood and go from there.

Concur with waterproof hood and add some arctic socks. Xerotherm under arctic works well for me down to about 40 degrees, below that I wear xero under Halo. Drygloves with 4th Element liners keep my hands warm even when I get leaks in the gloves.

... Drygloves with 4th Element liners keep my hands warm even when I get leaks in the gloves.
I love this line. I have done over 100 dives with this and he has had maybe 4 dives where his dry gloves didn't leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 10mm waterproof hood is great. I use a full lavacore suit then light 4th element undergarments under my trilam suit to stay warm below 40 deg. dry gloves also must have. The dry glove liners from 4th element are great gloves but are impossible to put on inside the blue rubber gloves due to the smooth sticky rubber seams on the liners I have a horrible time getting them on as they stick to the outer glove when sliding them on.

In addition to a real hood, you will most likely need drygloves in this type of water temperature. I'd start with the proper hood and go from there.
Agree on the hood, echoing the recommendations for the Waterproff 10mm, but disagree on the wetgloves. I got drygloves only last year. Before that I used 6.5mm three-fingers. Yes, the drygloves are more comfortable, particularly when you prepare for the second dive (donning wet, cold, half-frozen wetgloves really sucks), but if your core is warm and your head properly insulated, you can get by fine with wetgloves. My favorites are Mares' 6.5mm 3-fingers since they don't have the stiff rubber-like coating on the inside of the palm that many gloves have, but if you can't get those I've heard good reports on the Waterproof wetgloves.

Layering, using some good wool underwear beneath the undersuit and a proper hood does wonders. I've used that - with good wetgloves - down to 3-4C (37-39F) without any problems.

Waterproof 5/10 and really thick gloves with velcro on the wrists. No matter what anybody says air is insulation and it takes lead to sink it.

I dive with Santi BZ400, Santi 10 mm double hood, quaolofil liners with dry gloves, Santi BZ200 socks and can keep warm for about 50 minutes in 4 degrees celsius. After that it becomes chilly. I think what the OP experiences is quite normal. Only with electric heating you can extend the warm feeling for a very long time. I must admit however that after a few days diving in the Red Sea with a 5 mm wetsuit, I get cold also. Everybody is different when it comes to cold.

In some ways wet diving can feel warmer than dry diving. Buddys of mine still dive wet at 4 degrees celcius. The big difference is taking off your wetsuit when it's freezing :eek:

Wow what a response :) Thanks everybody!

Ok, so I think it is clear that I'm going to be investing in a good 10mm hood. I'm going to start by trying the thicker hood on Saturday. I will start by looking at what my LDS has on offer of thick hoods and if they don't have what I want I am going to order it online.

Currently I use 5mm wet gloves. I have dry gloves with my suit, but I ordered them way to small. Apparently there are two ways of measuring your glove size one is by measuring the width of your hand, this is what I did, the other is by measuring the length from the tip of your middle finger to the bottom of your hand. It looks like I have long thin fingers, so the glove was way too short. I'm going to start making work of getting some proper sized gloves.

I am also thinking about getting a warmer set of underwear. Either Polartec or merino wool.

Socks - If you are just wearing the Arctic socks, that's not enough in 43 degree water. They do have thicker versions, so depends what you actually have. Maybe add another pair of fleece socks.

I have the Hot Socks I was told these are warmer then the regular socks. I did not have cold feet at all :)

AJ:
I dive with Santi BZ400, Santi 10 mm double hood, quaolofil liners with dry gloves, Santi BZ200 socks and can keep warm for about 50 minutes in 4 degrees celsius. After that it becomes chilly. I think what the OP experiences is quite normal. Only with electric heating you can extend the warm feeling for a very long time. I must admit however that after a few days diving in the Red Sea with a 5 mm wetsuit, I get cold also. Everybody is different when it comes to cold.

I also get cold easier after doing a couple of longer dives per day, I think that is normal for most people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom