gue accepting certs from another organisation, experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it is, assuming you do it in drysuit and doubles. You can also take fundies in a wetsuit and single tank (rec pass), then come back later in drysuit and doubles for a tec pass, which is what I did. All we had to do for tec pass was the last dive of fundies to tec pass standards. Since I had to transition to doubs and drysuit, I practiced for a couple of months between rec and tec pass.

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but is there an advantage to attaining BOTH a Rec Pass and a Tech Pass?

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but is there an advantage to attaining BOTH a Rec Pass and a Tech Pass?

It's a different level of control in your skills. Having the Technical rating to your Fundamentals allows you to take GUE's technical diving courses. Without it, you cannot begin T1 or C1.

It's a different level of control in your skills. Having the Technical rating to your Fundamentals allows you to take GUE's technical diving courses. Without it, you cannot begin T1 or C1.

So no advantage in having both. It's better to shoot straight for Tech Pass. Thanks.

Yes, if you're aiming for a tech pass, that's what you want to end up with at the end of Fundies 2. If Schedule A is still the same as a couple of years ago, you would need to complete it in doubles and with a primary light in addition to the basic gear requirements, and the performance standards are more precise. If you do not achieve a technical pass the first time, you can still achieve a recreational pass if you meet those performance requirements. If you're close, than a provisional pass with 6 months to try again. If you achieve a recreational pass, you can try again to upgrade it to a tech pass later after more practice.

Hope that helps.

So no advantage in having both. It's better to shoot straight for Tech Pass. Thanks.

Well, maybe. If you are not totally squared away in doubles and a drysuit, you are probably going to fail going for a Tec pass (as in not even get a provisional). Depends on the diver and their skill level. I was very glad I did a rec pass first, as I found out during the class that I did not know what I did not know, know what I mean?

I got a rec pass in a WS and single and a provisional a few months later in doubles & DS. It's harder. S drills with a light are more complex, double valve drills are a complex series of things you have to do correctly. Then for the tech pass the angle and depth requirements are significantly tighter and you overall have a lot less margin for doing things "good enough".

However you also need to keep in mind that fundamentals is a team exercise. If everyone works as a team a lot of things are much easier. If you get task loaded (and you will) and start to drift depth during an exercise your teammate can and should be getting your attention to that, and you need to do the same thing for them. This is not just a nice to do thing, it's very important to the instructors (and hence your passing or not) that you are part of the team and see what is going on and help them out, and vice versa.

I suspect that no matter how great you skills are that if you just watch passively as your less skilled teammates float haplessly to the surface or sink into the muck that the instructor will not be giving you a tech pass.

Well, maybe. If you are not totally squared away in doubles and a drysuit, you are probably going to fail going for a Tec pass (as in not even get a provisional). Depends on the diver and their skill level. I was very glad I did a rec pass first, as I found out during the class that I did not know what I did not know, know what I mean?

Hmmm, my question opened up another can of worms. I've never donned a dry suit or doubles before. Should I go ahead and take an outside dry suit specialty class before I sign up for Fundamentals?

It can take a while to become comfortable in doubles and a drysuit. If I were you, I would take Fundamentals in a single tank and wetsuit, and after that take the GUE drysuit class and the GUE doubles class.

Try not to become overly concerned about the kind of pass you get or even passing. Unless you get mentoring before class, you will be learning a lot of new stuff, and it can take some people quite a while to comfortably incorporate the new stuff into their diving. I went into my Fundies class with a lot of dives using a drysuit and doubles, but I had also picked up a lot of bad habits over the years. I took a provisional, and three months later was very happy to get a recreational pass.

Your instructor will give you lots of feedback and will let you know if you are on the path to a tech pass.

Getting back to the original question: I also know a GUE diver who skipped T1 and got a waiver to go straight to T2. Fact that he was already C2 and normoxic Tx from another agency might have alleviated some concerns :)

Hmmm, my question opened up another can of worms. I've never donned a dry suit or doubles before. Should I go ahead and take an outside dry suit specialty class before I sign up for Fundamentals?

Take fundamentals in whatever you are diving now (provided it meets the equipment requirements).

If thats singles and a wet suit, that.

You can always go back and do a checkout dive later for an upgraded rating.

Doubles aren't too hard to get used too, but a drysuit is! Especially if you haven't gotten it down before fundies.

If you have quite a number of dives between now and fundies, no harm in taking a few days to learn how to use the drysuit, and what you need to know about doubles (and then prepare with enough time if you can't reach the valves due to mobility) and then dive dive dive to get proficient in it.

BRad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom