Atomic Fin Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IKEA52

New
Reaction score
Good day all,

Just wondering what size of fin someone with size 10 3/4 feet has bought, whether Large or X-Large? Looking at the Atomic site large is for size 9 to 11 and x-large is for size 10.5 to 11.5.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Peter

I love my Atomic fins. However lately I have encountered a sizing flaw in them. I had an extra large set of Smoke-On-Water fins. I loved them from the day I bought them. Unfortunately I had to return then for a warranty issue...which Atomic is awesome about. When I received a new set of Smoke fins size XL they were to big. They literly fall my foot when diving. The replacements/brand new fins are not the same size as my last pair or any of my other XL Atomic fins.

My advice is try some on at a local dive store and make sure the pair to get fit.

Thanks Oldbear I was thinking the same thing. The only issue is I can only find one LDS that carries atomic gear the next issue is they only have a few pairs and none in the large or x-large. I didn't have time to see if they could order some in that I could try on, I'm thinking that's going to be the next step.

The sizing also seems different between their split fins, and their blade fins, though I may have just found what oldbear did, that they changed their sizing at some point.

When I got my jet fins I contacted DUI to see what sixe was required for the size of rock boots I wore. They looked it up and I bought what they recommended.

A bit over 1 year ago, I bought Atomic Blades to fit over basic 5mm boots. I have narrow feet and generally wear size 10.5 shoes. sometimes 10, sometimes 11. My LDS sold me size XL Blades.

I finally decided I thought they were too big and picked up a new pair in size L on Closeout. They fit me perfectly! My XL Blades will be going on CL as soon as I can get around to taking pictures and posting them.

The XL foot pocket is a little longer than the L, but that didn't cause me any problems or discomfort. it just meant the straps went almost-but-not-quite straight across the back of the fin when I was wearing them. When I anted up for Atomic spring straps, they were too loose, out of the box, but they are made to be able to be adjusted (3 total lengths) and when I set them to their middle length, they hold the fins on just fine.

The biggest difference I actually notice is that the L foot pocket is noticeably narrower and feels just perfectly snug on my booted foot, where the XL had a small gap on each side of my foot. With the L's, I put the spring straps back to the longest length and they work fine.

I'd say if you're planning to wear thick rock boots, you might want XL. Otherwise, you probably will like L better.

I wear 8.5-9. But I also have pretty wide feet. I dive in warm water and use a 1mm bootie. I bought a pair Atomic Blades in Size M and it fits pretty well. I will echo with Oldbear said. Your best bet is to go in and try it for yourself if it is possible.

Back
Top Bottom