Servicing your own Scubapro and Atomic regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have almost 20 sets of ScubaPro regs. Mk25's, 20's, 10's and a few Mk2's also. I get my regs serviced for $80 for a first and second. I get well over 3 years out of a service. Probably average about 4 before the ip drifts some. It is my understanding that the Hog reg kits are extremely overpriced like $60 or so. I personally don't see where the cost savings is as my buddies who have them seem to be having issues and they need rebuilding way more than my ScubaPro regs. I do know the Apex kits are way cheaper than the Hog kits. I am assuming the Deep 6 regs / kits will be priced along the lines of the Hog regs.

HOG 1st stage kit= $30
HOG 2nd stage kit= $19

From DRIS.......reasonable.

It is my understanding that the Hog reg kits are extremely overpriced like $60 or so.

Wow, up here they're $25 CAD. Normally we're the ones getting screwed over .... I'd almost rather buy a new one on sale at your prices

BRad

It is my understanding that the Hog reg kits are extremely overpriced like $60 or so. I personally don't see where the cost savings is as my buddies who have them seem to be having issues and they need rebuilding way more than my ScubaPro regs.

Are your buddies having issues in obtaining the service kits or are they having issues with the regulator itself?

Are your buddies having issues in obtaining the service kits or are they having issues with the regulator itself?

Well I looked and the local dive shop that most of the guys around here get their Hog rebuild kits has them for $55 for both the first and second. So with tax or shipping he is selling them for $60.

As far as the regs go they weigh a ton compared to my ScubaPro. Traveling with them would be an issue when you are carrying 8 sets or so. I have only used one for a few minutes power snorkeling around when a buddy lost their fin in a tanic river when we were cave diving. So personally I don't have any experience with them but from being around my buddies they seem to have more issues than I do. Like I said I don't see the cost savings. I buy my regs off Ebay and can get a mk20 or 10 din reg with a G250 for under $100 easy. So $80 to rebuild it and I have a good reg for well under $200. 10 years from now you will still be able to get kits for ScubaPro. Can anyone say the same about Hog or Deep 6. They are small operations that are getting regs built for them in Taiwan / China or wherever. If something happens to the owner I have a feeling the company won't be around long after that. I don't dive cold water so a piston reg is fine with me and I actually prefer them as they are more reliable from what I have seen. If you need a good ScubaPro reg tech let me know. He works out of his house and will be glad to help you out.

What I have been seeing as far as people having issues with rebuilding their HOG regs is that they have not taken the class.

They are pretty straightforward and not some exotic design. There are some things that have to be done in a certain order or you may have problems. I have some of my regs with over 300 dives on them and they have not needed done nor do they need it now. Others have them with way more dives than that and they are still holding up well.

Early on there were some seat issues that have been resolved. You'll have that with any reg. Seats are soft material. While you'd like to see 0% failure rate it's just not going to happen with parts that are produced in those numbers.

There are some tips and tricks you learn in the class that make rebuilding them easier and with less problems.

Kits for $60 bucks? Total BS. I sell kits to anyone as can any dealer and have had no problems getting them. There was a short supply chain issue a while back but that has been resolved. It resulted in a delay of a couple weeks. Didn't affect me as I try to keep a good stock of kits on hand. I personally own ten HOG reg sets (was nine, just put a D3 together for SM backup) and I like to have them on hand.

There are new standards for the class being discussed. As one of the more active instructors and author of the D3 procedure that is currently in use, I look forward to them. One of the problems though is a lack of instructors. There are less 30 of us world wide( give or take).

Out of that less than 10 are teaching more than one class a year. There are roughly 6 of us teaching more than 2. Last year I taught 3. The year before was 4. This year I have two scheduled already. One in Feb for a guy coming from Phoenix via DC, in April 2 from Philadelphia, and I expect more since I teach on demand in my home and a private one on one class is the same price as a group. No waiting for a show or date when 4 or more people sign up. Want to take the class? Come up for a weekend and I'll put on one. One person or 5. More than that I may need to rent a space but that can be done quite easily. Or get a group and bring me to your location. Have done that as well.

Well I looked and the local dive shop that most of the guys around here get their Hog rebuild kits has them for $55 for both the first and second. So with tax or shipping he is selling them for $60.

As far as the regs go they weigh a ton compared to my ScubaPro. Traveling with them would be an issue when you are carrying 8 sets or so. I have only used one for a few minutes power snorkeling around when a buddy lost their fin in a tanic river when we were cave diving. So personally I don't have any experience with them but from being around my buddies they seem to have more issues than I do. Like I said I don't see the cost savings. I buy my regs off Ebay and can get a mk20 or 10 din reg with a G250 for under $100 easy. So $80 to rebuild it and I have a good reg for well under $200. 10 years from now you will still be able to get kits for ScubaPro. Can anyone say the same about Hog or Deep 6. They are small operations that are getting regs built for them in Taiwan / China or wherever. If something happens to the owner I have a feeling the company won't be around long after that. I don't dive cold water so a piston reg is fine with me and I actually prefer them as they are more reliable from what I have seen. If you need a good ScubaPro reg tech let me know. He works out of his house and will be glad to help you out.

So he's charging over MAP + shipping for both a first and 2nd. OK. Yeah that would be in the area of $60.00

I charge $2 shipping on kits in the US. Buy more than a first and second and shipping is free.

received_1334216666604510.jpeg

Paying $50 for service kits for a first and second stage is an insane markup considering what these kits include; a seat that costs very little to make and a few o-rings and maybe some plastic bushings. Unfortunately it seems to be the going price for most regulator brands. I have older SP regs, I buy the seats separately and source o-rings through reasonably priced alternatives like oringsusa.com or mcmaster-carr. I've found that there are lots of grey market sources for SP parts, and there are friendly dealers that will sell parts to trusted customers despite the idiotic restrictions placed on them by SP.

I used to think that the best thing to do for DIY service was to buy hog or dive rite regs where you can buy the parts openly through dealers. But if they're really charging that much for kits, to me it makes more sense to get older 'classics' where there are lots of parts floating around and/or aftermarket alternatives via the trident catalog. A good place to get older SP kits is vintagedoublehose.com.

As an example, consider a MK5 or 10 and a 109 metal case 2nd stage. Performance wise, this is on par with anything new. The MK5/10 does need a brand-specific hard seat, but you get three of them in a kit, (usually you can use two of the three by adjusting IP shims) and trident makes an acceptable aftermarket seat that's in the vdh kits. Other than that, it's just standard o-rings. The 109 uses a flat EDPM seat that's easily available or even easy to make; awap made a batch for less than a penny/seat, and they work great. Then it's just 2 o-rings. It's easy to get rebuild costs down to a few dollars for these regs. For the center balanced 2nds (D series) the poppet is brand specific but I found a lifetime supply of them on ebay for a good price (less than dealer cost for kits for 3 SP stages) and I'll be gone before they are.

That's the way to save money on service. And it's not a compromise in performance, these old regs work extremely well.

to follow Jims comment, the order of operations was because people were following the manual Dive Rite wrote for their equivalent reg instead of the Apeks one. If you followed the Apeks reg instructions for the DST the issue wasn't there, spare a bad run of HP seats that just failed prematurely. It was a long time before the official Hog manual got written, so it was trial and error. The thought process was the Dive Rites were built in the same factory and looked the same and the manual was available online so you'd follow that. I followed the Apeks manual since I am an Apeks tech and only had issues with some factory assemblies due to the bad HP seat run.

Either way, I know the Apeks parts kits will work in the Hog D1 from experience, and because of that, I assume the HP seats and diaphragms from Hollis and/or Dive Rite will also work if for some reason Divers Supply goes out of business and Hog with it, or if Chris sells Deep6. Some O-rings may be slightly different, but I imagine they are using standard parts out of convenience and logistics.

I buy used Poseidons and service them myself, so I'm in the same boat as some of the others above.

Back
Top Bottom