Komodo and Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeSullivan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to dive Komodo and Raja Ampat, but I cannot afford to spend $2,000 - $3,000 on a liveaboard. Any suggestions? I would preferably like to do a few days around Komodo and then around 4 or 5 days RA.

These locations are three aeroplane rides each way away. You will loose too much diving time by moving if that involves flying. Pick one only.

The weather is better in Komodo in May , scuba Junkies have a new budget resort in Komodo that gets great reviews.

There are affordable homestays on Kri (Raja Ampat) but you will miss out diving the Misool area which I think is the best area of Raja. And May is not the best season for Raja.

There are lots of operations doing daytrips out of Labuan Bajo, where I am currently waiting to be picked up to try out the new Scuba Junkie resort in Komodo. We'll see how the resort turns out. I'm hoping for fantastic.

Tippytoes (hi Tippy) has a point, 8 days not a lot of time to split the two destinations. Travel ain't easy nor fast and you'll have no fly days eating up your time.

I think I am going to go with Scuba Junkies also, I would be interested in how your stay is.

I highly recommend Divine Diving in Labuan Bajo. I spent two weeks diving with them this past November. They are exceptional and offer LOBs for about $700 for 4 days/3 nights and cheaper for 3 days/2 nights. They also run day trips. Let me know if you have any more questions. http://www.divinediving.info/
Email Marij at divinedivingflores@gmail.com and she'll be happy to help you.

I am trying to dive Komodo and Raja Ampat, but I cannot afford to spend $2,000 - $3,000 on a liveaboard. Any suggestions? I would preferably like to do a few days around Komodo and then around 4 or 5 days RA.

Lots of homesteads in Raja now, easy as to do it. Visit the Stay Raja Ampat website. I went to Raja twice in 2014 both land based, the other time with Biodiversity resort which was fabulous. Just beware of homesteads, i wasn't that confident with the dive operation where I was so wouldn't recommend it to you. Given lots of cheaper places have started I'd suggest going to Raja first before its overrun given they are making it more accessible.

There are affordable homestays on Kri (Raja Ampat) but you will miss out diving the Misool area which I think is the best area of Raja. And May is not the best season for Raja.

There are lots of operations doing daytrips out of Labuan Bajo, where I am currently waiting to be picked up to try out the new Scuba Junkie resort in Komodo. We'll see how the resort turns out. I'm hoping for fantastic.

Tippytoes (hi Tippy) has a point, 8 days not a lot of time to split the two destinations. Travel ain't easy nor fast and you'll have no fly days eating up your time.

any update on scuba junkies?

Komodo. I have been diving in Komodo without LOB. It is possible, cheaper but, unfortunately, it was impossible to cover overall dive sites. Still, we (my diving buddy and I) had amazing dives - it was manta ray season and we saw around 14 manta rays at the same spot - incredible.

We stayed for five days in Labuan Bajo, with a local dive center and five days in Sebayur Island, with Komodo Dive Resort. If you are interested, you can visit my blog posts about Komodo and its marine species - Komodo – Flores – indahs: dive, travel & photography

To be honest, we would like to return to Komodo and do LOB in the future.

Raja Ampat. I think it is better to do LOB in Raja Ampat. We did LOB (Central & North) in Raja Ampat for ten days. It's so satisfying to finally see Wayag. A friend who stayed at one of dive resorts in Central Raja Ampat told me that the resort does not have services to visit Wayag. However, there is an area called Pianemo - "mini Wayag" on the Central Raja Ampat - worth to visit and perhaps dive too...(should ask the dive resort if they are going to that place or not)

We would like to return to Raja Ampat and certainly will go to the South next time.

PS: I agree with @Tippytoes12 suggestion. I visited Komodo and Raja Ampat on different occasions. I traveled to Indonesia from the Netherlands back then. But of course, if your vacation days permit, just do it! Have a wonderful time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom