So many fin options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the main advantage is many of them are active tech divers and will be able to push you down that path from the beginning. Hell Matt is down in cave country right now. If the XL tech 2 fin will fit you, I would grab those since they are so cheap. Not my favorite fin, but worth grabbing.

Which instructor are you taking it with?

I don't think he was an instructor believe he is sales, still a diver though. His name is Carl. haha yea the price is also appealing they are about $100 before tax

Do you dive up here often Tbone?

---------- Post added January 12th, 2016 at 07:41 PM ----------

My correction, Carl is a padi instructor just double checked on their website

nothing against Carl as I'm sure he is a great instructor, but with what you have expressed interest in, it may be worth trying to take the course with Matt since he is a tech instructor. Helps to streamline your learning process. The huge advantage you have with DDS is that they actually teach you in backplates and wings from day 1. I'm not a huge fan of the Halcyon rigs personally because they don't offer a good value *I learned in Halcyon equipment fwiw*, but that is strictly personal preference.

I really like the Mares Power Planas, if you need the weight. The blade surface is significantly larger than an L Jet, similar power to the F1 although not quite as big, stiff or heavy. If the F1s had of fitted me I'd likely have stopped there for DS diving, fortunately the Mares come in a small. I really like the XTs when less weight is needed but do find they numb my feet, strange, I'm still trying to fix the issue swapping springs and boots around.

---------- Post added January 12th, 2016 at 08:39 PM ----------

Just got some Rocket 3s which I also prefer to jets, not as stiff or heavy and way more comfortable. Although they are positively buoyant if that's a consideration.

I'll take a look and see who is teaching my class, I will be doing the six weeks 1 night a week class. And I knew they taught with the backplate, didn't know it was a huge advantage like that :D

Even if I don't get Matt if I like diving as much as I hope I will then a wreck diving course will be in my future eventually. I'll see how things progress :)

Been through some fins now, first pair was Apollo Biofins, which was sold pretty fast, too heavy when travelling,. Next was Scuba pro Twin Jet max, good but not enough power in currents. So someone showed me the Scuba pro Novas, which h lasted until a week ago (almost 4 years) before they broke. Since I'm in Visa as on holiday, I had to get a new pair, and ended up with Apex version of Jet fins. Not sure if I'm satisfied yet, I think the Novas was more powerful, but the Jetfins has more maneuverability. ..... And the heels traps on the Novas are even better than regular springstraps in my opinion..... I may end up with a new pair of Novas, the Gorilla version when I get home....

Sent fra min SM-T700 via Tapatalk

---------- Post added January 13th, 2016 at 04:46 AM ----------

I'm in Visayas, Philippines. ...☺

Sent fra min SM-T700 via Tapatalk

Agree, the Novas and Gorillas are more powerful than the Apeks, not surprising given their length. If you flutter the Novas are good but I found them lacking with all other kicks. The gorillas I liked, being stiffer they performed a wider range of kicking styles better for me. I much preferred the Gorillas. I sold them as they were a line trap as my local site has more discarded line and netting than fish.

I bought jets based on the constant hyping of them here on SB. I tried them a few times and hated them more every time. I finally gave them away.

It's too bad that it's so hard to try fins before you buy them. On the flip side, going thru a few pairs before you settle isn't the end of the world, and if you're lucky you'll love your first pair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom