Mid May Maui Dive sites recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

puncho

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, planning some dives when I'm in Maui for a wedding. I arrive at noon so would like to squeeze in a night dive and then the next morning, a 2 tank dive. We'll be staying in Wailea, intermediate divers. I've heard a lot about Mike Severns, any other people you'd recommend that does large group charter? Which dive sites would be recommended at that time of year? Thanks!

Severns is a good choice for the two tank morning dive especially since 6AM won't seem so early coming from the continental U.S - for me anyway, usually the 2nd morning jet lag is worse. What's your group size though?

Severns is Not a large group charter - 12 maxes out their boat. Most of the Kihei boats are similar since they all launch from the ramp - some still pull their boats daily after diving. There's no harbor in Wailea so no options there. You can see both Severns boat and the Kihei ramp here: General Information Mike Severns Diving Maui

I'm not familiar with any night boat dives in that area but Maui Dreams does guided shore night dives. Shore Dives - Maui Dreams Dive Co

Other boat options in that area would be B&B Scuba or Ed Robinsons. Some of the better trips are only done on specific days also - at least with Robinsons - so check that against your itinerary. B&B is probably your best larger group option - they've got a newish 40' powered cat. I'm kind of reluctant to mention it since I didn't have the best experience with them - but Maui Dive Shops have a 45' dive boat in Ma'alea - a short drive north of Kihei. They feed divers from all their shops to it so there's generally a mix of skill levels and they provide DM's for each level.

Most operators pick dive sites based on daily conditions. The crater provides more sheltered dives depending on how the winds/current are. About the only given is you'll likely dive Molokini Crater first then either a 2nd dive there or more likely move back to the Maui coast for a 2nd dive. Because in the early-afternoon the tradewinds pick up and the boat takes a pounding if returning later. Often the St. Anthony for the resident Turtles - and I believe the Frogfish still live there also.

Last edited:
Thanks! Not sure what the group size is yet since people are still deciding.

Are the shore night dives any good? Looking for good macro

It's not my thing but you may want to go Ulua Beach since it's one of a dozen Best Muck Diving spots worldwide mentioned here - and in Wailea:

Muck Diving|Underwater Photography Guide

Best Muck Diving Locations
Ulua Beach, Maui, Hawaii

All the beaches in that area have public access but the resorts don't make it easy to find some of them. Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Ulua Beach of Maui, Hawaiian Islands

One thing I just figured out - we stayed once at waterfront condos in that area. The south point of our beach was the north point of Ulua. So I've been out to it snorkeling - it might be a good place to look - lot's of lava rock, ledges etc. Never dove Ulua though - we went elsewhere that week.

Last edited:
The night shore dives can be pretty awesome. I made four in two weeks during the holidays. Each one was super cool with a bunch of things to keep us busy with cameras.

Ulua Beach (and pretty much any county/private beach park) now has ugly yellow gates that are closed around 8:00 pm each night. The locked gates make it very difficult to night dive there (Ulua) that time of year because it doesn't get dark till after7:30.

I know some other places that are better. Check with me when you get here. I love night diving the most!

Diving with Mike Severns in my opinion is a must do! As a 15 year divemaster/instructor in Hawaii my number one priority when visiting Maui is to book a charter with Pauline and her awesome crew. The operation in my opinion is simply one of the best in the islands.

As shore diving goes - Makena Landing is a personal favorite over the years that I have never been disappointed with.

Sadly, I have yet to dive with Shaka Doug just yet but I have a great deal of respect for him an his opinions here. He always gets wonderful feedback from divers that have been out with him. He is a sure fire thing for a great dive experience as well from everything I have heard.

A

I like Makena Landing for night dives. Easy entry. Many shops lead night dives. They can show you the cool stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom