Air fills from fire station SCBA compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In another thread, it was suggested to a new diver that they get air fills from a nearby fire station.

OWD training materials emphasize the importance of getting air fills only from reputable diving-oriented locations because air that is safe for surface SCBA use may have toxin concentrations that exceed safe levels at depth.

Is this risk, how shall we say, overblown?

I use my fire stations air banks - if you know that the Cascade system is maintained quarterly - in my opinion there is no issue.
Others may chime in about the grade of the air - I am not using it to mix - strictly for air fills and have had no issues.
I have not paid for any local air for 15 years - when I go on vacation is the only time I pay for air or Nitrox.
YMMV.

NFPA 1989 requires CGA/OSHA grade D air. Scuba is Grade E. The difference is that Grade E requires a lower water and dewpoint content, and specifies a total hydrocarbon content, which grade D does not.

The short answer is: for non-tech diving you’re probably fine getting it from a firehouse.
Especially if the firehouse has the proper valves for filling scuba, and even more so if they have their own scuba team.

The major difference between SCUBA grade E and SCBA grade D or L is total hydrocarbons (THC). There is a THC maximum specification for grade E, but no THC specification for grades D or L. (as Wookie said)
Oil, CO and CO2 specs are the same.
And even though a firehouse might only be testing their air to grade D doesn't mean it wouldn't pass grade E.

For more detailed information about various specs:
SCUBA: https://www.airchecklab.com/service...a-sport-diving-compressed-air-specifications/
SCBA: https://www.airchecklab.com/services/air-gas-specifications/scba-compressed-air-specifications/

I use firehouse air... They also fill for the state police and game warden scuba teams... They test to grade "E" .. You may need to buy your own DIN to Yoke adapter if they don't have one.. The one thing I'm finding is a lot of fire houses will no longer fill scuba tanks because of the liability...

jim....

And even though a firehouse might only be testing their air to grade D doesn't mean it wouldn't pass grade E.

For more detailed information about various specs:
SCUBA: https://www.airchecklab.com/service...a-sport-diving-compressed-air-specifications/
SCBA: https://www.airchecklab.com/services/air-gas-specifications/scba-compressed-air-specifications/

Truth. My compressors pass OCA right out of the box. I don't use hyperfilters or any of that, they make far better air than they are specified to.

My local firehouse is tested regularly and is grade E. Gotta love not driving far for an air fill!!:D I swapped time and materials to hook up the new system (top of the line Bauer), for keys to the fire house!! During the summer I burn through 6-7 tanks a week. I love living in a small town!!

THC in my dive air, no wonder I crave Doritos when I'm diving. :shakehead:

C'mon someone had to make a joke.
Unfortunately the THC in this context (as I understand it) is mostly methane.

Always get my air fills from the fire hall, unless my tanks are in for visual or hydro.

The air at the fire hall meets or exceeds all requirements for SCUBA. It is tested at least once per year, and usually twice a year.

As the Fire Officer in charge of SCBA and compressor maintenance I make sure that everything is serviced as required, and kept in top condition.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose :)

Back
Top Bottom