lube for regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krytox seems to work for me. Regarding it being highly toxic, it may be if it catches fire. But then if your regulator is on fire you might just have other issues to worry about.

Interesting that when you follow Jax's link from an IPad the stuff is $38. If you log in from a PC the cost is $26. Same supplier. Simultaneously.

Interesting that when you follow Jax's link from an IPad the stuff is $38. If you log in from a PC the cost is $26. Same supplier. Simultaneously.
MCG 129 is $26.95 while 111 is $38.50. I believe 111 is the one that divers normally used.
I wonder what is the difference between the two.

The tremendous advantage of christolube and similar O2-compatible lubricants is that their cost encourages the correct amount of lubrication; instead of the slathering on of huge gobbets of silicon grease that I so often see.

I'm using for many years Christo Lube MCG129 on the regulators and I'm very happy with it.

For high O2 applications I use MCG111.

My understanding is according to the Trident Catalog that MCG129 is for all Nitrox uses and MCG111 also for rebreathers.:)

Krytox seems to work for me. Regarding it being highly toxic, it may be if it catches fire. But then if your regulator is on fire you might just have other issues to worry about.

highly toxic if at high temps, but it still says it will cause irritation on the skin and eyes, and that means at room temp so I'm not willing to risk it vs. christo-lube being NSF approved for food contact, just isn't worth it.

Regarding 111 and 129, 129 is static only, 111 is for static and dynamic so most just use 111 for everything.

Just to be clear here, Christo Lube for whatever moronic reason uses 111 for one of their designations, it is NOT the same as Dow Molykote 111 which is silicone and the lube tbone and myself are talking about. It is inexpensive compaired to the other lubes at around $18 for a 5 oz (large size toothpaste tube size)

I just use standard silicone camera O ring grease. Rec diving only. It works fine and is cheap. I've tried others but have found the less exotic silicone grease seems to last longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom