Petrel 2 - OC Tec or OC Rec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use OCRec for all of my dives right now but the most Deco I am doing is 10-15 minutes with 30-32% and an O2 bottle. I imagine as I grow into more technical dives I will switch over but for now, I love the rec mode. It is very well laid out. I heard that the new one from shearwater (Perdix) will have a more intuitive display. Maybe they will clean up the tec mode?

I've always used it in Tec mode no matter what the dive is but my diving usually involves deco. I guess I'm used to the layout and really like it. I dive 2 Petrels and have each one set to display different data. I especially like to know my CNS, PO2, TTS, CEIL and the time that way I know exactly what time it is so I can be coming up with a reason for my wife as to why I'm 3 hours late :)

The presentation, data organization and layout of OCRec mode is so much better than OCTec. The bottom row of the OCRec is also user configurable to include TTS, P02, CNS, etc. So, OCRec provides you with all the essential deco info you need in just the first page. You can scroll for more deco info as needed.

The disadvantage of OCRec is the GF is preset. But if you subscribe to the NEDU findings on Deep Stops, then the 40/85 default Mid Conservative setting that's available on OCRec is all you need.

Another disadvantage - unlike OCTec, you can't change the GF Hi in real-water-time, or at least I haven't found a way to do it.

But the simplicity and nice layout of OCRec is a good feature to have when diving on air below 100 feet (read narcosis).

The presentation, data organization and layout of OCRec mode is so much better than OCTec. The bottom row of the OCRec is also user configurable to include TTS, P02, CNS, etc. So, OCRec provides you with all the essential deco info you need in just the first page. You can scroll for more deco info as needed.

The disadvantage of OCRec is the GF is preset. But if you subscribe to the NEDU findings on Deep Stops, then the 40/85 default Mid Conservative setting that's available on OCRec is all you need.

Another disadvantage - unlike OCTec, you can't change the GF Hi in real-water-time, or at least I haven't found a way to do it.

But the simplicity and nice layout of OCRec is a good feature to have when diving on air below 100 feet (read narcosis).

Good to know about the rec mode, thanks!

Another reason the Rec mode (at least a valid reason for me) : Rec mode display is easier to understand for your buddy. As I do a lot of dives involving buddies I meet on the boat just before immersion, I prefer to keep things simple. While tec diving, it's another story.

Another reason the Rec mode (at least a valid reason for me) : Rec mode display is easier to understand for your buddy. As I do a lot of dives involving buddies I meet on the boat just before immersion, I prefer to keep things simple. While tec diving, it's another story.

funny you mention that. Like I said previously, I always leave it in Tec mode and a buddy and I were doing a minimal deco dive in ow, he came out of the water joking and complaining about all the numbers on my screen when he was trying to read it to compare deco numbers.

Just a question (and I should probably just pop mine into rec more and take a look), but does the mode include options for GF99 and +5 on the bottom screen?

For me, those options cover a few important contingencies. I wouldn't want to tech dive without them... and would probably still want them for rec dives also.

Just a question (and I should probably just pop mine into rec more and take a look), but does the mode include options for GF99 and +5 on the bottom screen?

For me, those options cover a few important contingencies. I wouldn't want to tech dive without them... and would probably still want them for rec dives also.

I am sure of the @+5 being in the rec mode but not 100% on the GF 99. I know you can see the tissue loading graph which is what I rely on since it gives a bit more info.

No, you can't include them in the bottom screen. But, those info are just a few right button clicks away.

Agree that those are useful info particularly if you are intending to deviate from your plan. The assumption is you'll stick to your plan 95% of the time. But, in the event that you want to stay longer or get out sooner in a calculated fashion, you can "right press" to access GF99 and @+5.

I think the developers intended to unclutter the main screen to make narcosis more tolerable :) lol.

Would be nice if they can use a smaller font for the OCTec to allow data hungry folks to fill it with more info in a nicer layout. Oh, this by the way is where the OTSC computer shines!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom