Question about hose adaptors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with tursiops, awap et. al. For starters, the link you provide for Dive Gear Express shows 9/16", all the Home Depot ones are 1/4".

Home Depot and Lowe's do not carry that adapter. They are not the "exact same" adapter.

There are at least this many types of quick disconnects (see link below), and one of these will be what Home Depot or Lowe's carries (you're thinking of the Industrial type). In fact, they may carry more than one style depending on which aisle you happen to be headed down. LP inflator is not among these. Not to mention even if you were able to find something that connected to your LP inflator and sealed, you'd need another set of adapters to go from 1/4" NPT threads on the industrial quick disconnect, to 9/16" that is used on low pressure scuba hoses.

McMaster-Carr

Spend the $7.50 to get the one from Dive Gear Express. Scuba hoses and low pressure compressor fitting are not the same.

what was said above, just surprised it took so long.

The adapters you see at Lowes and HD convert a 1/4" NPT thread, to a standard industrial quick connect.
The reason you can't use them on scuba equipment is two fold. first the quick connect is not the same, the scuba QD's are smaller than a normal shop QD and more importantly, you have to know which style QD you need because there are at least 4....
Second reason and probably the more important one so you don't break anything, is the regulator side is 9/16 UNF. The NPT is a tapered thread, the UNF is not, so even though they might look the same size, if you screwed it in, you would destroy your hose fitting.

If you want an inflator hose, i will sell you one.. shipped for $18.00. It is new, flexible woven hose, not rubber.

Standard fitting for your BC.

Just get a new hose " the right one "... And put the other hose in your save a dive kit... All threads are not the same even when they look it and "ALMOST" go together.... And I have a pile of extra BC inflator hoses I'd mail you one if you're that broke...

Jim....

Last edited:
Pardon my lazy cut and paste.

IMO the best method of connecting an inflator or inflator/regulator to your first stage is with a standard second stage (or Miflex) hose coupled with a screw on adapter with a quick disconnect. There are a few advantages to doing it this way. For one thing, l/p second stage hoses come in a large variety of lengths making routing much simpler. Additionally, if the hose becomes defective one only needs to change it out. See the link below for an online supplier of hoses and adapters.

fwiw there are three sizes that most inflators or inflator/regulator usually fall into:

1) The "standard" <--- most inflators

2) Oceanic Air XS, Aeris Air Link, SeaQuest Air Source, Apeks Octo Plus, Zeagle Octo Plus, US Divers Air Mic.

3) Tusa DuoAir, ScubaPro Air 2, Atomic SS1.

see this link: Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Here is a link to a similar thread: See post #9 where TFSails give a great explanation.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ta...er-valve-wont-connect-my-bcd.html#post4363990

By accident you are already on the right path. Buy an $8 fitting from DGX (two for that price) plus a few other odds and ends that add up to $50 to get free shipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom