Drilling holes in boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dnaber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone drilled holes in the bottom of their boots to assist in water drainage? I have 5MM Mare boots and as much as I love them I hate carrying a gallon of water (I could be exaggerating here) out everything time I exit the dive. I thinking a couple small 1/16 holes around the soles. what do you all think? Thanks

I took a hot nail and Made a few holes in mine to aid drainage. I don't think I made any in the sole but, that said, I may have. I know I added a few on the side just above the sole, about the placement of vent holes in Chuck Taylors. It works like a charm....

I suppose you could do so for warm water use. I can tell you that a pinhole in a glove while diving in cold water can feel like a needle prick.

It really should not be significant water weight though. I'd revisit the fit of the boots and maybe even add a neoprene sock. Adding the hole may also let let sand and grit enter and that could lead to uncomfortable chafing and wear and tear of you and the boots.

Dry suit over boots like rock boots sometimes have drainage grommets but they have different requirements, mainly a good footing.

Bottom line... If I have this need why has it not yet been addressed?

Pete

You do not want to drill through a nylon fabric. The material tends to wrap around and bind on the bit and can ruin the material (I learn this stuff the hard way).

If you want to put a hole, use a red hot hanger or something.

I'm surprised to hear about this problem. I have had a number of boots over the years and never given it a thought. Because of some foot damage I sustained w while ago, for comfort sake I am currently wearing boots that are a little too big for me, and I still don't have any problem such as you describe. Can you provide a more detailed description? Are you sure you have a good fit?

I agree with Spectrum that this may not be desirable in cold water.

My wetsuit seals over the tops of my booties, and can't remember ever having a problem with the booties filling up with water.

My wetsuit seals over the tops of my booties, and can't remember ever having a problem with the booties filling up with water.

Mine, too.

Do you put your wet suit legs over the boot tops? Do you wear a full wet suit when you dive?

Thanks everyone for responding. Due to having issues with my feet I have to wear a larger size boot so that could be part of the issue.I will try the socks first but at least I have a backup plan.

Don

Sent from my iPad

Thanks everyone for responding. Due to having issues with my feet I have to wear a larger size boot so that could be part of the issue.I will try the socks first but at least I have a backup plan.

Don

Sent from my iPad

But are you diving in a wetsuit, or just have the booties for your fins? If you aren't diving a suit, even if you went with a real thin one (so long as it had full length legs), as long as you stretched it over the tops of the booties, that would help, a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom