Venice/Tampa/St Pete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vannsbtch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Headed to Tampa 3/11, been there once or twice. Dove once in Venice. Recommend anyone to dive with? Recommend or dont recommend anywhere to stay in any of those cities? We like to go out at night and eat, find a little bar to drink at. Cute quant places are great, hotels are great. Just anything!

A fun place to grab a drink and Tapas type food is the Canopy in St Petersburg. It's on the roof top and has nice views. There are a number of other good restaurants on Bay Street as well. Can't help you on the diving question: all mine is done on the SE sideboard the state.

There are three boat ops that I know of in the vicinity with good reputations.

Scuba Diving Clearwater Florida - Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters - Best Gulf Coast Diving - Dive Boat

Welcome To Dive Clearwater!

Clearwater Dive Charter | Tampa Florida Scuba Diving Trip

Sunshine Scuba is a great shop to rent gear if necessary. Bob Henn is the guy you want to talk to there, 727-585-0938. I believe they also arrange dives, but do not have their own boat.

The Sheridan is a nice wreck in the area. Pretty sure all three of the above operators run trips to this one. here's a video of it: https://youtu.be/UaBt9JQaQhI

If you end up over in Clearwater, the whole beach is lined with restaraunts/bars. It's a fun area. Unfortunately, hotels on Clearwater Beach are very expensive. If you do stay on the beach, many bars will give you a ride back to you hotel for free.

thanks guys. i am sending this to my hubby. later today i will google these places and check them out

Headed to Tampa 3/11, been there once or twice. Dove once in Venice. Recommend anyone to dive with? Recommend or dont recommend anywhere to stay in any of those cities? We like to go out at night and eat, find a little bar to drink at. Cute quant places are great, hotels are great. Just anything!

Just an FYI, Gulf water temperature in mid March will be in the mid to upper 60's. In '09 we must have had a heat wave; on 3/21, air was 82, surface was 75 and bottom was 79. It's doable with the proper thermal protection. On the positive side the water clarity is generally better as long as you are between cold fronts (NW winds).

Mid-May the water temp is much more comfortable, 81 to 85 degrees.

We live just south of the Skyway Bridge on the water and have a 23 cuddy cabin with twins rigged for diving; dual jumbo D O2.

PM us when you get to town. Willing to split fuel cost. We'll overlook the Alabama connection. Go Gators.

Enjoy your trip.

Check out our web site (floridawestscuba.com). We have a great hotel deal through our web site for a stay here in Venice. Our down town is small but full of great and unique places to eat and drink. None of the hustle, bussel and hassle of Tampa or St. Pete, pulse unique diving expirence available no where else.

If you are staying in st. Pete beach do not i repeat do jot stay ar Sirata. It is a dump. Roaches etc. Believe me when i say Guy Harvey tradewinds resort is beautiful. The beach is fantastic, the service and rooms are even better. Do yourself a favor and spend that little extra. If you call hotel direct you maybe able to get a lower rate. I did.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom